| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ace lapsteel value?
Randall Palmore

Albany,TX USA 76430
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2007 8:28 am    

I would like the approximate value of an Ace, mfg by Rickenbaker in the early 50's. It is a six string and maybe a bakelite (sort of a dark brown material)I'm not trying to sell, just wandering! Anybody have any input? Thanks Randall
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2007 8:39 am    

Depending on the condition, between $100 and $700. Pictures of the instrument in question would help narrow that down a bit. Smile
Gary Lynch

Creston, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2007 9:49 am    

As Brad said, there are too many variables to consider. I notice on eBay they rarely sell for over $450.
Randall Palmore

Albany,TX USA 76430
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2007 12:22 pm    

Hey Brad and Gary- Thanks for the response. I obtained this guitar from a long time friend today. I took the strings off (which date back to 1958),and as one might expect, the tuning keys are going to need replacing. Other than fret markers at the 5th and 9th, being gone(the dots)and a small chip out of the tone knob, it is pretty good shape. I'm going to try to post a picture. I have played pedal steel for over 25 years, and respect nonpedal players so much. I might try my hand at it some. By the way, Brad your website is a super reference and look forward to checking it out. Thanks- Randall
John Dahms

Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2007 1:53 pm    

Ace models are a real sleeper. They are lighter than a model B (panda) but retain the characteristics of their bakelite body big brothers. Unplugged you can really hear the resemblance. If the tuner buttons are crumbled off as they commonly are just replace them alone since it can be a problem drilling into bakelite if the new tuner's screws don't line up exactly. It also helps retain the value.
Randall Palmore

Albany,TX USA 76430
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2007 9:01 pm    

John- Thanks for the input. I'm hoping to find some cream color key buttons. As per your suggestion, I will leave the actual tuning key assembly intact. What glue should one use when putting the new plastic tuning button on? Thanks Randall
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2007 8:02 am    

Frank Ford's Frets.com has a fine explanation of how to do this, with photos and everything.
Dave Stagner

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2007 9:42 am    

Before changing those Kluson tuners (unless someone has wrecked the pegs with pliers!), try lubricating them well with sewing machine oil and working them a bit with no strings on the guitar, then stringing up. Those old Klusons MUST be lubricated, or they go bad - and then people pull out the pliers for tuning rather than lubricating. Rolling Eyes

I have two different guitars with 1950s Klusons that tune just fine. I just oil them every other string change. If I let them go too long unlubricated, they let me know about it!

1967 ZB D-10
1990 OMI Dobro
Recording King lap steel with Certano benders
Randall Palmore

Albany,TX USA 76430
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2007 10:54 am    

Dave and Brad- Once again, Thank ya'll for the response! The first thing I did before removing the strings (1958's) was lubricate the tuners. At first the buttons appeared to be in good shape. After removing the strings by hand, 3 of the tuning buttons parted at the seam. I will replace per your advise Brad (Frank's method) All appreciated! Thanks Randall