| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GFI Professional models
David Lassiter

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2007 9:57 pm    

Anyone want to comment on the GFI Expo or GFI Ultra?
Steve Norman

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2007 10:11 pm    

I love my ultra,,ugly,, but plays damn well. Hardly ever have to adjust anything. Pretty much maintenance free. I think I will have mine for a long time. Good tone, sustain, durable.

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2007 10:29 pm    

My GFI Ultra D-10 is the best steel guitar I've got. It stays in tune very well and the tone is amazing! It is my current guitar that I play at home and at steel guitar shows. My guitar's nickname is "Redgold Beauty" because of the red and gold colors on the guitar and the pedals work perfectly. I use GFI II pickups on both necks. When I bought my GFI from Steel Guitar Nashville in 2004, I was so amazed by its sound, especially right after I first plugged it into my Peavey Nashville 112. I'm still amazed by this guitar, and I'm very protective of it because I always polish it before every steel show I play. "Redgold Beauty" is just a beautiful guitar.

Brett

Last edited by Brett Day on 23 Nov 2007 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 6:26 am     gfi

GFI Great Guitars I've Had One For Around Three Or More Years Played It Every Week End For Two And A Half years Never Had To Do Anything To It I Still Play It. Best Playing Guitar I Ever Sat Down To.Got Mine From Bobbe Seymour. SONNY.
Tony Orth

Evansville, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 6:44 am    

David,

I purchased a used SD-10 GFI Ultra keyless model from Bobbe Seymour a couple of years ago and I love the guitar. It's my gigging axe. I have changed the pickup to a George L E-66.

I have had a Dekley, an Emmons LII and an LIII, and I still have an S-10 BMI. I find that the GFI has the best pedal action of the lot. It's a light guitar, weighing in at 48 lbs in the case. The Emmons models were over 60 lbs in the case and that was hurting my back.

Bobbe has a couple of video clips on his website at Steet Guitar Nashville, showing and playing the GFI guitars. you might check them out.

Tony

Last edited by Tony Orth on 23 Nov 2007 6:46 am; edited 2 times in total
David Lassiter

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 6:44 am    

Glad to hear it. The reason I placed the post is that the handful of players I have talked with at random have consistently steered me towards other brands, leaving me wondering if there were any specific downside I should know about.
Tony Orth

Evansville, Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 6:58 am    

David,

I think it's like shopping for a car. You should really go out and drive as many as possible and decide for yourself. Everybody has different needs, wants, experiences. Many of us have spent thousands of dollars to find the "right" guitar for ourselves.

I'm not familiar with the Steel Guitar shops in your area. Perhaps another forumite might tell you of one. You may need to start another thread if you want to ask that question.

Best of Luck and have fun with it.

Tony
Dale Hansen

Hendersonville,Tennessee, (USA)
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 7:00 am    

Steve Norman Posted: 22 Nov 07 11:11pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I love my ultra,,ugly,, but plays damn well. Hardly ever have to adjust anything. Pretty much maintenance free. I think I will have mine for a long time. Good tone, sustain, durable".

That pretty well sums it up for me as well.

I had, for many years, put up with the moodiness of a push-pull that didn't ever like me very much.

By the time this last spring rolled around, I had not been playing at all for nearly 7 years, and decided it was time to get rid of it for good, in order to reclaim some closet space.

The only GFI that I'd really ever seen upclose was in 2000, backstage at the Opry. I didn't like it at all. I thought it was kinda funny looking, and didn't sound very good.

This spring, I sat at a GFI. I did so reluctantly, giving in to the goading of a local purveyor of goods.
I really only did it to humor him, and expedite the process of dumping the push-pull.
To my surprise, and dismay, I liked it, and it liked me. It followed me home.
So I am playing again, and enjoying it. And it does sound good.
I have done some simple modifications to enhance the performance, although it was very good to begin with. I'd be glad to share this with any other GFI'ers out there that might be interested. Just drop a line
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 7:46 am    

The GFI Ultra D-10 is a real good choice: reasonably priced, good availability, lightweight (a real plus if you're playing out), stays in tune, plays real smooth, and sounds great. Check out Mike Sigler's playing sometime if you want to hear one put through it's paces... 'nuf said!
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 8:44 am    

I love my S10 Ultra. It's rock-steady and lightweight - an unusual combination. Mine is in a weird B6 copedent (a 10-string, 3+4 adaptation of Sneaky Pete's 8-string 9+2) with some splits involved, and after I got it reconigured (which I was able to do with just a bit of very willing help from GFI...and which was not very difficult compared to Shobuds or the MSA I've messed with in the past) I haven't adjusted a thing since - Heck, I don't think I've had to adjust the tuning more than once or twice!

I don't find it ugly at all - actually, I find the aluminum/red mica combo on mine to be pretty stunning. The tone is what really grabs me - it's one of the few steels I've played that's very touch sensitive, and the tone can be "tweaked" by hand position; back towards the bridge it's very traditional sounding, with the "crying"sound - move forward a bit and it sounds as close to a Fender steel (with a 6-string like tone) than any other steel I've played, which iced it for me since my other guitars ARE Fenders.

I have no idea why there aren't more out there, or why they don't come up in discussion more often. Gene Fields, IMO, developed one of the finest steels on the planet in the Ultra.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Steve Norman

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 10:24 am    

They pop up pretty cheap in the for sale forum also for some reason. I have had to stop myself from getting another one off the forum.

Dale Id love to hear about the mods..

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 10:41 am    

I have a red S-10 Ultra Keyless and I think it's a darned nice guitar - but it's also my first pedal steel.

I read every thread here concerning GFI's - it's sort of like when you buy a new car, and you're driving around, and all of the sudden you start noticing how many of that model are out there on the road.

I think the GFI has a bit of an identity problem. It might play well and sound good, but it doesn't look like a pretty Sho-Bud, and the unorthodox appearance turns some people off.

Kind of a "modernistic" look - I like it.

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 10:50 am    

My friend Don Walker just got an Ultra SD-10 3+4 from Bobbe and I was impressed by the guitar.First of all I liked the spacing of the strings a little wider than some brands,It also seemed to be wider at the roller nut which makes it easy to get in between the strings for hammer ons.The pedals and knee levers felt great,very comfy to sit at...1/2 stop very positive feeling,tunes great,If I wasn't so in love with my Desert Rose I would buy one.I didn't get to play it thru an amp just a good quality stereo set-up,sounded great.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Chris Buchanan

Macomb, IL
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 11:03 am    

I bought my S-10 Ultra here on the Forum and I'm as pleased as Punch. As a newby I wanted something reliable and user freindly, and I got it. All I have to worry about is learning to play it. It's always in tune, and real easy to monkey around with if I want to change anything, so I'm also learning how PSGs work. I've heard it through different amps and it produces great tones with the stock GFI II. I think it looks fine.

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 11:24 am    

Well I guess in fairness I should post my negatives.
On the 6th string lowers,, the string tends to come back sharp. I have a keyless and supposedly that is the reason for this. I guess the distance from the nut to the tuner is too short and creates a higher friction due to the sharp angle. I think changing strings on it is hard to do,,since the keyless system is so compact it can be hard to get the string under the little screw. And if you dont cut the strings off right at the holder,, you will poke the $*@)* out of yourself every time you tune. That gets old.
Luckily,,string breakage is not that big of an issue on my gfi. And the rest of the guitar stays in tune so well I know I only have to adjust string 6 after a song with lots of 6 drops in it. So the positives on mine FAR out way the negatives. I guess I would have got regular tuners and saved the money,,but then again the increase in pedal response due to the keyless system is a big plus in the playability. So to summarize,,I LOVE my GFI

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 11:58 am    

I sell about every brand guitar there is, including GFI. As a matter of fact, I seem to sell more GFIs than anything else. This is because of all the up sides to the guitar, not my selling expertise.
The most trouble free guitar ever made it seems. Easiest to change configurations, light, tone, and yes, many folks find them VERY nice looking. And then there is the price and availability, all these things tell me why they are the best selling guitar today. These aren't things I'm making up, these sales figures are the facts, and you guys are responsible for the numbers.

Bobbe
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 1:17 pm    

Steve,Are you talking about the low G# on the E9th?If it always comes back sharp enough so it drives you crazy something should be done about it...Have you got in touch with GFI?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
John Kingsley

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 1:35 pm    

The GFIs are pretty sharp looking, especially if you have that blue color...with the fret inlays, it's got an Indianappolis Colts type vibe...
Steve Norman

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 2:00 pm    

Stu,, I did contact them and they didnt know what to do.. I saw there was a thread awhile back with a gfi owner having the same issue, and if I remember right the problem was due to the short space between the string holder and the nut on keyless tuners. Or because the nut diameter is to small. I use the recommended gauges, .022p. loosened the spring tension, lubed the nut and changer with graphite,Cleaned and polished the nut and changer,,Hitting the B ped usually returns it. I can live with it unless someone has solved it. I wounder what Dale did to his,, might have had the same problem.

heres the old thread:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=118104

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 3:00 pm    

"lubed the nut and changer with graphite,"

Graphite may not be the ideal lubricant for a pedal steel. Did the folks at GFI recommend graphite?
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 3:01 pm     GFI Ultras Are Fine Instruments

I have three PSGs. Carter, PP Emmons, and a keyless GFI Ultra SD10. They are all keepers.

The GFI is super reliable, light, and sounds great.
If I am flying, it's the one, because of it's light weight and small size.

The only minor issue I have with it is tuning stability, if there is a big temperature change. As long as I get it setup and let it adjust to the room for about 30 minutes, everything is stable.

You can hear (and see) my Ultra at YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVf84f6xrBw
Uffe Edefuhr

Sweden
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 3:13 pm     My GFI

Hi folks. The GFI is for me a steelguitar that brought me back to what I have been missing in my life for about 16 years! I stopped playing around 1990. I was tired of all so called sound engineers! They sound checked the drums one hour, the guitar and the steel was checked in 3 minutes!!
Today I play steel just for my own good and for plesaure.
If you want to hear my sound. I have small clip on the tube. I cut it with my small digital camera, Canon 460! The sound is not perfect, but the camera costed just around 120 bucks.
I love my GFI!!!
Regards
Uffe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW4Q4dUaOPI
Steve Norman

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 4:10 pm    

Lee I just ran a pencil over the parts the string would touch to reduce any friction. Nothing on the mechanicals. GFI doesnt recommend any lube for their stuff since its all teflon coated. The only thing seeing graphite is the string contact points,, works good for my guitar so I figured why not.

Hendersonville,Tennessee, (USA)
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 6:43 pm    

Steve,
Here's a link to the original post. http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=965830&highlight=#965830
I never did have any problems with the guitar mechanically. I see here that some fellas have mentioned a problem with a # return on the 6th lower. That may be from not quite enough tension on the return spring, at the endplate.
What this little DIY mod does, is take out a little slop out of the linkage, resulting in a more direct pull, and should quiet things down under there considerably. All you need to do, is simply add some 1/4 in. nylon washers. they are about dime sized, (slightly smaller) and about 1/32 in thickness. you can find em' at Lowe's or Home Depot in packs of 4. You'll need about 10 packs for a double 10.
The most important thing is that they are not so tight as to cause a bind at the bellcrank. You still want just a hair of play in it. I had to file a few of them a little thinner to achieve the right fit.
Take note of the photo. In the upper left corner you can see pretty well how to cut them, and place them.
You'll also notice that they go on the off side opposite the rod. You can do the whole thing in about an hour.
I hope it works out for you.
Dale
David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 7:51 pm    

After owning many guitars over the years, my GFI is the keeper that tops all of them! I am fortunate enough to have the 2nd pro model that Gene built in 1992. It is a D-10 with 8&7. I installed George L 10-1's on both necks and it has the gold vein designed that was discontinued early in production. The guitar is not the light weight models now in production but is certainly a tone monster!

I have played many other guitars and even compared the tone and playability next to my Emmons PP. The GFI won with ease and the PP found a new home.

This particular GFI has sustain and tone like no other guitar I have ever played including the 2 other GFI's I have had. One was a U-12 pre-ultra model and the the other was a D-10 Ultra. Although these were also excellent guitars, they had no comparison to my current GFI.

Gene & Bob have made some major changes in both the weight and construction of the guitars over the years. I don't think anyone could go wrong with a GFI in my opinion.
Dave