| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nylon Tuners Loose ?
Richard Tipple

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2007 1:48 pm    

Anyone know how to make the nylon tuners on the end plate tighter. Mine are loose on some of the pull rods after many adjustments.
Boil them, smack em with a hammer Whoa!

England
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2007 1:56 pm    

Buy new ones
Richard Tipple

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2007 2:36 pm     nylon

Na,,thats too easy John Whoa!
Really,I have a show tomorrow & thought there might be a way to get me through till I can get my hands on some new ones

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2007 2:56 pm    

Richard... Put a wrap of plumbers teflon tape on the threads of the changer rod. Screw the tuner back on. Works very well, cheap too. Hope this helps
Mike Sigler

Give Em A Try !
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2007 3:14 pm    

In A Pinch i have torn a piece of paper off put it over the shaft and then screw on the tuner.. works great and last for awhile, makes it pretty tight..
mike
Richard Tipple

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2007 3:35 pm     thanks

Hay thanks guys Smile
I just happen to have some plumbers tape around here somewhere
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2007 3:51 pm    

Take them off, give them a 180 spin and put them back. The rods will cut new threads .
Rittenberry SD10 , Derby D-10, Quilter TT12, Peavey Session 400 w/ JBL, NV112, Fender Blues Jr. , 1974 Dobro 60N squareneck, Rickenbacher NS lapsteel, 1973 Telecaster Thinline, 1979 blonde/black Frankenstrat
Currently picking with
Mason Dixon Band masondixonband.net
Carl Heatley

Morehead City,NC
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2007 8:52 pm    

Take a cigarette lighter and lightly burn the end of the nylon,Not to much though or it will catch fire.
Just flash the flame over it a few times.
This works real good and last for a long time.
Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2007 7:30 pm     Loc tite

Try some Loc Tite sp? It's a red liquid
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2007 10:07 am    

I always take mine off and just put a piece of thin string or thread through it and put it back on. Then you just trim off the thread sticking out. You can carry a spool of thread in your pack seat for just this purpose........JH in Va.

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2007 12:53 am    

Take the rod out of the guitar and hit the threads on a buffing wheel. Most, if not all, manufacturers cut the threads on the ends of the rods, but never knock off that initial first thread burr which then proceeds to act like a tap and cut a thread pattern rather than merely 'upsetting' the nylon material as is intended in the first place. It's not cost-effective to buff off this burr, so no one does it, hence the cutting of the threads rather than the 'rolling' that makes these little scudders work forever. I've got tuners on my guitars that are well over 25 years old and they're as tight as ever. I've also worked on guitars where the nut was driven on once and is already way too loose. Also, most threads on the rods are cut, not rolled. So the inherent roughness caused by the cutting process really creates a file of sorts. It abrades the the nut gradually so that it becomes useless, sometimes on the initial installation. That is also why the threaded leg plugs eat up the tapped holes in your endplates. They are 'cut' rather than rolled threads. Rolled threads are very smooth. Cut threads are not. They also act as 'rotary files' and eat up the threads in your endplates over time. Pullrods are no different. They're just smaller in diameter. I have buffed all my pullrod threads for almost three decades and only had one failure. I used a new adjustable die and didn't have it adjusted properly. Mea culpa. Also, by buffing, you tend to burnish the thread surfaces, thereby creating much more actual physical contact between the rod and the nut. That creates a near-vacuum condition which makes for nearly 100% contact between the two surfaces. Nylon tuners should last for 50 years or more.
PRR
Richard Tipple

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2007 9:54 am     nylon

Paul, that really makes sence. I wish I had buffed the rods before I originaly installed the nylon tuners.
I going to order new nylon tuners & buff the rod ends this time. In the mean time ,I turned the nylon tuners around ,drilled an undersize hole & re-installed them.
I did notice some wallering out of the pull brackets from the threads cutting them Oh Well
I dont think theres anything I can do for them now Sad

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2007 6:01 pm    

It oftentimes helps to use a small flat washer between the nut and the changer finger to keep the nut from getting wedged into the respective hole. Most changer fingers have a tight 90-degree bend at the point where the rod holes begin. The bending process deforms that edge of the hole which doesn't provide a consistent flat seat on which the nut can 'ride' as the finger moves forward. Some manufacturers such as BMI, use a small tubular spacer between the nut and the changer finger. Good idea!! That provides a two-fold benefit. The nut does not have to suffer the gnawing action at that contact point, plus, if there are threads sticking out of the nut, they don't act like a file and elongate the hole in the changer finger over time. If you look at any old guitar that has nylon tuners bumping directly up against the fingers, you'll also note that there are usually a few threads which also enter the changer finger. You'll also notice that those particular holes are elongated from use over time. It's amazing how simple remedies like a washer or spacer can actually extend the life of the changer by literally years and/or decades. If the outer ends of the nylon tuners come even with the outside of the endplate, you wouldn't want to risk using a real long spacer. That would mean that all your pullrods would now effectively be too short, there would be far fewer threads used in each nut, and you'd risk slam-dunking the rod ends on your case when setting the guitar in it which could cause damage to the changer or rods or both. So in this case, the thin washer would be the answer. Say a #3 flat washer drilled out to a #30 drill size (.1285") if the guitar has 1/8" rods.
PRR
Richard Tipple

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2007 8:43 pm     tuners

Paul, thanks so much, this is really good stuff to know Very Happy