| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  1/4 inch Speaker cable connection
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2007 2:12 pm    

I lost the 1/4" female/female connector I use to connect my amp head to my speaker cabinet. When I went to buy a new one, the salesperson said I shouldn't use a plane 1/4" connector for line current; he said it was to weak for that much juice. Any truth to this? Seems to me that if I am using speaker cable I have the wire wher it counts, but, frankly, I don't really know my electronics and am quite capable of frying my tube amp with little prompting.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Dan
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2007 2:59 pm    

I'm not quite sure what you would be using a female adapter for - but as long as you are using speaker cable ( or essentially "zip" cord - the same stuff extension cords are made from) to connect your speaker output to your speaker cabinet, you are fine. For some reason it sounds like the salesman thinks you are running 120V line voltage over it or something. It really does not make sense.

A normal speaker cable has a male 1/4" plug on each end; there's a female jack on the amp head (speaker output) and a female 1/4" input jack on the speaker cabinet. Assuming that's your setup, you might be confusing the male/female terms; but just be sure you are not using an instrument cable as a speaker cable - THAT can cook your amp.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2007 3:14 pm    

I use a Switchcraft in my shop all the time to do just that.

I know it will handle it just fine! See #3 below:

Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2007 3:16 pm    

Jim and Ken,

Thanks for the input.

I put the chasis of my 65 Twin ri in a separate head. Since the original speakers had a wire with a 1/4" jack to go into the back of the chasis, I need to extend that if I want to separate the head from the speaker (as I often do). Thus, the 1/4" from the speakers has to connect to a speaker cable with two male ends, and I need a female adapter.

Dan
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2007 4:09 am    

No, you're fine. The standard 1/4" (phone) plugs are sorta frowned on for solid-state amps. The reasoning being that a temporary short is caused when you plug/unplug these connectors, and we all know how sensitive some solid-state amps are to shorts on the output end. Always check that the power is "OFF" before hooking up if you use this type of connector for speakers on a solid-state amp.

As far as power handling ability, the standard phone plug will handle at least a kilowatt's worth of audio, so there's no problem in that area. Smile