| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Looking for an ES-335
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2007 6:42 pm    

OK, that beauty that Andy Sandoval sold has gotten to me. I want a Gibson ES-335! Not a vintage guitar, or a collector's dream, just a good player's ES-335 in pretty good shape. I've got a near-mint American DeLuxe Telecaster to trade, if you wanna go that route, but I WANTS ME A 335!!
THANKS!
Sorry about the double post Embarassed
Jerry Erickson

Atlanta,IL 61723
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2007 6:55 pm    

Hey Stephen, You might check out a Heritage 535 also. You can probably find one priced reasonably enough that you can afford to keep that Tele! I bought one earlier this year and I'm diggin' it
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2007 8:42 pm    

I'd second the Heritage, and the more recent Heritage guitars are hands down better guitars than the Gibson stuff.
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2007 9:12 pm    

You guys are right. OK, either a GOOD ES-335, or a Heritage 535. BTW, since I know you, Keith, and have some kind of ties to you, Jerry---How y'all doin?
Keith Cordell

San Diego
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2007 9:14 pm    

Doing great, you should give me a call sometime. I have a middlin' truckload of gear sitting around all of a sudden.
Jerry Erickson

Atlanta,IL 61723
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2007 9:30 pm    

Doing well here. Been eating a lot of tomatoes recently! I'll be playing me 535 on Friday evening at Bernardi's Restaurant in Pontiac,IL.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2007 12:47 am    

just when I thought I was gonna move my "##%"...

335's , totally cool guitars...The last one I had was an Epi which I sold last year that was pretty much every bit as good as the last REAL 335 ( 1985 new) that I had. The EPI was RED, I can't do RED anymore..if it was Black or Tobacco I would probably still own it.

It really was a very fine playing axe, it surprised the heck out of me. I would buy another in a NY minute...
Neil Lang

Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2007 5:14 am    

IMO-all Kalamazoo built guitars (Gibson & Heritage) regardless of price, are much better quality guitars than those built after the move. After all, most of the truely great older craftsmen and builders stayed at that factory.
Neil
Joe Butcher

Dallas,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2007 5:37 am    

hey Stephen..............check this out.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=111406&highlight=
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2007 7:23 am    

I have some Heritage guitars that are really nice, as well as several older Gibsons that were made in Kalamazoo. I also have an almost new ES137 that was made in Memphis, that is really nice. It's quality is right up there if not better than some of the older stuff.

Now with all that said, there are some really good imported guitars out there now. I have several big bodied Ibanez guitars that are amazing instruments for the price. The Peavey JF-1's are also excellent guitars for the price. I happen to have an extra JF-1 that I would sell, but it's red. Sad

Here's my favorite Heritage, along with a few other toys from my collection.

And here's my ES137 with it's matching MSA Legend.

MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2007 10:01 am    

Darvin, if you collect anymore Instruments your gonna' need a wider angle on your camera !
cool group of axes..

Last edited by Tony Prior on 3 Oct 2007 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2007 10:37 am    

I keep telling my wife "it's an investment". I even sell one occasionally and make a few bucks just to prove it. Very Happy
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2007 7:36 pm    

Darvin, most musicians have to fall asleep and dream in order to be surrounded by all that gear. You just have to wake up and enter your music room...Smile Fine collection.....is there anything you're still looking for, that one holy grail? Just curious....
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2007 8:31 pm    

I wish I coulda kept the 335 but I hadn't played it in a while and needed some cash to buy a Sho-Bud Professional. But I've still got a cherry sunburst flame top Les Paul with gold hardware and a 52' Tele reissue, plus a 68' Gibson SG that used to belong to a friend. So, that makes me feel better about lettin the 335 go. I've seen a few 335's like mine on eBay lately but for more than what I sold mine for.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2007 2:14 am    

Andy , don't look back at how much you sold Instruments for.We have all been there.
I have sold several Strats thru the years, 54's, 56, 57's, 62's..

I DO NOT have $200,000 in the bank from the proceeds Sad

And I am not even talking Tele's yet Sad

the good news is this though, back in 2000 I sold my LAST Gibson ES335 ( purchased new 1985) and that paved the way to acquire the Steels I have owned from that point on...

all positive, the sale did what it was intended to do..
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2007 6:52 am    

Chris, there is one thing I'm still looking for, and that's a custom made, hand carved archtop guitar, built just for me. I'm pushing Mark Giles (who builds steel guitar bodies for Fessenden, MSA, Star, and others) to do that for me, one of these days he's going to get tired of me bugging him, and get started on it. LOL

I have a Cushman hand carved archtop that plays and sounds really good, but the finish is just not quite what a custom guitar should be. The rest of the workmanship is really good. I bought it used, so it wasn't custom built for me.

BTW, I wasn't able to accumulate this stuff by playing music, I ain't that good. I'm a mechanical engineer, and have designed some of the largest rock trenching equipment in the world. This is my hobby.
Neil Lang

Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2007 8:05 am    

Looks like I'd better start buying again.......this guy has "almost" as many toys as I do!
Marty Smith

California
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2007 3:25 pm    

WHY???????? Bad Move!! Dont trade a Fender for one, or anything for that matter.
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2007 8:18 pm    

Marty Smith wrote:
WHY???????? Bad Move!! Dont trade a Fender for one, or anything for that matter.

You mean ME?? I've got four Teles right now, and a couple of Strats, and maybe enough parts to build at least one more. Just got the fever for a 335!
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2007 3:30 pm    

Darvin, the rule is, when you're photographed playing an archtop you're supposed to play some weird b9#5+18th jazz chord that spiders your fingers all over the fretboard, not an A MAJOR BARRE CHORD for Pete's sakes. Buy a spiky sparkle-flamed BC Rich and I'll teach you some shred metal guitar faces.... Devil
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2007 5:22 pm    

Ha, I was hoping no one would notice. I guess that proves I'm not a Jazz guitar player, but I love those archtops. I never had anyone around to teach me all of those weird chords, I just play what I hear. Very Happy
Alan Rudd

Ardmore, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2007 7:56 pm    

Yes, if anyone else has a spare 335 lying around that they'll turn loose of for $1000, let me know, too. Now, that's an investment!
Mark Vinbury

N. Kingstown, Rhode Island, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2007 8:23 pm    

I bought a new one in the early 70's just like this
click here
The workmanship was poor.Lots of putty crammed into the neck joint and under the fingerboard extension.
I worked on it but could never get it to play in tune up the neck. Finally moved the nut closer to the first fret and that helped a little.
Always played and sounded just like what it was --a plywood guitar.
Marlin Smoot

Kansas
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2007 2:41 am    

I recently took a look at 3 new Gibson 335's at the local Guitar Center store. Each was nearly $3,000 and I wouldn't have given them $300 for one.

The finish on each guitar was... well... yuck. After plugging a couple into an amp, I rememberd the feedback issues my last 335 had and the store was filled with noise from beginner shread masters (God bless em') and overhead music was extreamly loud which made for an unenjoyable 20 minutes.

GC has other cool stuff, I just find it hard to shop there.
I'll stick with the Tele - you can use the neck pickup and roll the treble back and get a great jazzy tone too.

Over the weekend I used my Tele into a BB Preamp box and a Keeley Compressor and then into a Fender Twin. I liked the tone/sound a lot.
Charlie Shifflett

Colorado City, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2007 3:38 pm     es175 sunburst

I have had this guitar sence 1948 and it's a great
playing ax can someone tell me a little more about it I have had this guitar so long I still don't no that much about it. Thanks Charlie