| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tommy White For Hall of Fame
Doc Rickles

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2007 6:54 pm    

I had the pleasure of spending about 4 hrs watching Tommy and a group of great musicians recording on my daughters session and got to talk to him for a long time. He is one of the greatest and most interesting people I have ever met and enjoyed being around.
His dexterity at knowing just what to play and put in a song blew me away. No wonder he's the GOO man.
He ought to be on the wall in St Louis. Thanks Tommy for making an old man's year. It was better than a day. Down to earth, real,and a great guy.
Looking forward to seeing and hearing you again.
Doc
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2007 3:34 am    

I would bet my life savings on Tommy being inducted some time. An incredible technician who plays with passion, taste and above all, wonderful tone. I believe that he now sets a standard of pedal steel playing that few can match.

One thing that has to be bourne in mind is that while he has been playing for a very long time, yet is still relatively young.
Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2007 6:57 am     Tommy White

I agree with you guys completely on that, but whether or not there's ever a likeliness of him hanging on a hotel wall in St. Louis, Tommy will ALWAYS be a "Hall of Fame" person and player to everyone who's ever had the good fortune to hear him, and to meet him. A 100% class act in every form of life in my opinion!

May you live long Tommy, and God bless you.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2007 7:32 am    

Ken said: "...yet is still relatively young."

Exactly - and that's why he's not 'on the wall' yet; he's still just a kid... Very Happy

I'm not sure how important the 'Hall of Fame' is, but surely Tommy's eventual induction is a certainty. There's no-one better in my opinion.

RR
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2007 9:00 am    

Boy, now this is one I agree with, at least Tommy White is a great player!
I wish the HOF was more about the person going in than than the stars he has worked for,,,,,,,,,, and how famous they were,

Remarks like this will prevent me from ever getting in, Ha!

Bobbe
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2007 9:02 am    

Surely you're not wanting to be controversial Bobbe - that's not like you Laughing
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2007 9:28 am    

Naw, not me! The entire world of steel guitar is a wonderful place and the HOF is giving the credits and dues to whom they feel has the right to them.

I have great respect for all good players and most of all for the great folks that just love the instrument and play very little. We are all in the same world of steel guitar and the love of the instrument is what should drive us all, not just the money we get from it. I am as driven now as I was at 14 years old, I hope it never goes away. I love the sound, feel, smell and the challenge of working, designing, tuning, adjusting, restoring,,,,,,,,,,,and the list of what I love about steel guitar goes on and on,,,,, I think most of you may feel the same way. Don't stop!

Tommy White? HOF? Yes, he should be in on ability alone. Plus, he's a good guy.

Bobbe,
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2007 10:02 am    

The great thing about Tommy (and some of the more talented younger players such as Randle Curry and Mike Johnson) is that they have learned from the greats and yet have come up with some original things which is what it takes to stay alive in the pro music world.
Doc Rickles

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2007 10:31 am     Tommy White

The Hall of Fame for a lot of great steelers is how their fellow players feel about them in their heart.
We just happened to go by Bobbe's shop and visit a few minutes. Because I have great respect for Bobbe and all he does for the steel world. I've always told Bobbe I thought he was the best, but when I told him Tommy was doing the session he said "he's the best". Now I think more of both of them. They are great guy's and both should be recognized as such.
One Great "old master" and a "young lion" roaring. The best of both worlds.
Doc Rickles
Billy Knowles

Kenansville, N. C. 28349 usa
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2007 12:11 pm     Tommy

I agree 100% and he has been on TV for years and that really promotes the Pedal Steel also. And he is also a really great person and nice to be around. I was back stage at the Opry last weekend and he was very nice to me and took up a lot of time with me as he usually does.
Tommy for the Hall of Fame
He should have already been there.
Billy
Dan Chroninger

Blackriver Falls, Wisconson, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2007 12:12 pm    

Tommy gets my vote
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2007 1:02 pm    

Yes!
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2007 1:12 pm     HOF

Tommy White, definitely one day! Bobbe Seymour, should've already been in, long time ago! Doc, your hanging around some big-time pickers I see! When we go on vacation next year, I want to go by Bobbe's place and just look around. May even pick up a guitar or two.
frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2007 4:25 pm    

Without a doubt! Tommy's ability as a player though,actually transcends the instrument, and in this regard, he has few peers. Tommy's impeccable tone, flawless intonation, and command of the instrument are second to none as far as Steel Guitar is concerned, but his innovative phrasing,command of chord melodies,outrageous single note soloing and just downright good taste, and musical intellect puts him in the category of one of the best MUSICIANS on the contemporary scene! Does he belong in the SGHOF, no question, does he need to be recognized on an even larger scale,and heard by an even larger audience, absolutely!
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2007 2:03 am    

Frank R
You are no mean player yourself. Just had a listen to your clips and you have excellent full tone and good intonation. Nice.
Mike Cass

Post  Posted 29 Sep 2007 8:21 pm    

T.W. is long overdue.
He was playing like this w/Donna Fargo back when he was still in high school; Big time,E9-heavy country show on an MSA S-10 w/C6 tuning..! think about that. He never missed a lick or phrasing from the records,
not to mention a tasty smattering of his own ballad style and the rapid-fire chromatic chops he's so excelled at for so long,when called for. Kinda like the time at Scotty's when someone noticed(after his set)that E's horn was sans-fretboards. Some folks were just born to play the steel guitar...
Tommy White gets my vote.