| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Artisan Lap Steel
John Ummel

Arlington, WA.
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2005 9:26 am    

Well, I couldn't resist. Just ordered an Artisan Lap Steel from MF. (Black, of course!) They lowered the price (w/o legs) to $49. I plan to tune to E6 ala Don Helms.
E-G#-B-C#-E-G# Anyone know correct string gauges for this tuning? Can't wait to get the darn thing. I've got a little headphone amp that I made. I can sit and watch music videos on TV and figure out licks.

------------------
johnny
GFI Ultra S-10 3&4, G&L ASAT, Jackson Dinky Hardtail, homemade solid body electric violin w/ Zeta pickup, homemade 100W amp w/ 12" Jensen. As Bill Monroe once told me: "Don't never give up"

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2005 9:43 am    

Hi John, I would consult John Ely's string guage chart. Here's a link to it. String Gauge Chart
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2005 9:49 am    

The Artisan is a short-short scale (21") so I'd recommend going with slightly fatter gauges than those in Ely's chart. But they're a good reference.

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Ian

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2005 9:53 am    

John,

I just made the switch from C6 to E6 since picking up the Don Helms "Your Cheatin' Heart" steel guitar song book. Love it. The recommended string gauges run from .010 for the high G# to .030 low E. I've found that C6/A6 set of Steel Guitar Forum Strings plus an extra .011 (or .012, even the .011 sounds a little thin) makes a nice set. You will accumulate a surplus of .036 strings eventually. Both book and strings are available here on the forum. Best of luck.

Ian
Paul Brennan

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2005 10:06 am    

I'm assuming the E6 tuning is a third higher than the C6, not lower? I've been trying to figure out some of the Hank Williams licks on a 6 string C6 tuning (a few of the songs are in C I think) and I seem to be way up high on the neck, up at the second octave marking, where there's not much sustain. Or else it's because I'm missing that one high string. Clearly, I should buy that book, and I will as soon as I have a second ....

Paul
Don Walworth

Gilmer, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2005 10:54 am    

Here is an other way to listen to your new lap steel (I have one and it works great on my Morrell).

don http://www.ampuplugnplay.com/

[This message was edited by Don Walworth on 18 November 2005 at 10:56 AM.]

John Ummel

Arlington, WA.
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2005 11:16 am    

Wow, I'm knocked out by all the great responses here. Thanks guys. I should be able to get it set up just right now. I'm excited to play non-pedal. I guess I'm doing it backwards, I've played E9 Pedal Steel since the early 70's. I'll post again when UPS brings it to my door!
Johnny
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2005 12:29 pm    

I had one of these little Artisan guitars and sold it to a buddy of mine. When I saw that they were only $49 I bought another one! Good to keep in the car and practice during traffic jams or keep in the "reading room". Cool
John Ummel

Arlington, WA.
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2005 8:45 am    

UPS brought my Artisan lap steel yesterday and while I have not had time yet to set it up with correct string gauges for E6, I'm surprised the quality seems better than what I expected at this price. Does anyone know the story behind these little beauties? Of course I know they're manuf. in China (I feel a little guilty in this respect for buying one) But there must be someone behind the design and idea to produce this thing. Does anyone know about it? Just curious. The finish is really quite nice and all in all a very playable instrument.
Johnny