| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Magnatone Lyric D-8
Jeff Strouse

Jacksonville, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2005 3:27 pm    

Magnatone D-8 on eBay.

Looks like this Magnatone D-8 was in good shape. I have a T-8, but it's a little heavy, so I'd like to have a double.

I got my T-8 for $525.00 a few years back, but this D-8 went for $430.99. That still seems like a pretty good price...I probably should have jumped on it. But, it was just a little more than I could afford to spend right now before the holidays (I was hoping this one would slip under everyone else's radar!.

I'm curious for those of you that have them, how easy would it be to take one of those necks off to use as a lap steel? It looks as if they just screw out from underneath. I'd probably have to somehow have a jack, vol, and tone knob wired, but it doesn't look like there's any room for them unless mabye the bridge assembly was replaced with something different. The Magnatone consoles seem like they are just a bunch of lap steels sitting into a frame.

I wouldn't want to mess up a nice one, but if I found an old beat up one (say one broken and one good neck), I'd like to experiment and take the good neck off.

I know the Magnatones aren't highly regarded by collectors, but of my guitars, I like the string spacing the best on my Magnatone Maestro (it looks exactly like the Lyric in the ebay auction-I can post a picture if need be).

Anyone have any thoughts?

Edited by Brad Bechtel to correct the URL.

[This message was edited by Brad Bechtel on 17 November 2005 at 03:41 PM.]

Al Terhune

Newcastle, WA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2005 1:06 am    

Underated guitar. Built better, looks better than any Stringmaster. Does it sound better? Most people say no, but that's opinion. Don't separate the necks. Just get either a single, dual or triple.
Kevin Ruddell

Toledo Ohio USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2005 2:56 am    

Yes , if you unscrew the back, the seperate necks just lift out . The string spacing and fretboard are really nice on these but the strings get narrower towards the nut and I've been thinking about putting a wider nut in mine . The stock pups in mine were ok sounding but the Truetone pickup I put in sounds way better.
Joe Law

Leslie ,GA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2005 5:36 am    

I have one almost identical to this one except mine looks better and it sure sounds good to me. I am thinking about putting it up for sale to see if there is any interest as I just don't fool around with it much any more, too old (me).