| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mike Perlowin's Concert
Al Vescovo

Van Nuys, CA, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2007 10:57 am    

My wife, Norma Jean, and I had a fun time at Mike's concert last night. We heard some fun arrangements and it was a real friendly hang with a lot of Steel Guitar players and musicians from southern California, including Ernest Bovine to Jim Ives and a lot more, Leo Effort, Tom "Slim" Lattimer, and ACM drummer of the year for 14 years, Archie Francis.
Mike is a real proponent for the advancement of our beloved instrument and I wish him well in all of his projects. He has some great CDs out and if you haven't heard them you're doing yourself an injustice. Let's have a round of appaluse for Mike! Cool
Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2007 11:23 am    

Congratulations on a great gig! I wish I lived closer.
Chuck
Steve Alcott

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2007 12:37 pm    

Glad to hear it went well.
Bill Brummett

Greensburg, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2007 1:35 pm    

I got a copy of his West Side Story album and I was amazed at the beautiful sounds he created.
Stephan Franck

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2007 3:37 pm    

Yep, it was a real fun night, and it was great to see everybody! Great turn out!

Congratulations, Mike Smile
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2007 3:39 pm    

Congrats Mike: Wish I could have been there, sounds like you guys had some fun.
Slim Lattimer

Anaheim, CA USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2007 4:48 pm    

Mike did a great job on a nice selection of tunes. It was refreshing to see and hear the pedal steel guitar as the featured instrument, especially in a venue that was not specifically booked as a steel show or a steel jam. Although "Danny Boy" was a fitting encore, I would have much more prefered a gritty version of "Gloria" with Mike getting down on the dance floor. But he would have likely soiled his necktie and scared the daylights out of the other performers.
* Bravo Mike, thanks for continuing to push the psg beyond what are usually perceived as barriers.
Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2007 6:50 pm    

bravo!
LJ Eiffert

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2007 7:21 pm    

Hey Mike,I had a great time and enjoyed every moment of your performance.Keep that Music-Brain working in your arrangements.Your side kick KeyBoard Player did a nice job with you.Those Musicians outback Ladies did a superior show also.Great to see some old friend Musicians like AL Vescovo, & his wife Norma,Archie Francis,Doug Livington and Tom Lattimer.Wait,I came there with him. Leo J.Eiffert,Jr.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2007 9:07 pm     Thanks guys,

As you all know, last night was Emmy night, and usually venues like this one don't draw big crowds on award show nights. The club owner told me he expected about 6 people to show up, so he was delighted that the show was nearly sold out. From his point of view, the show was an outstanding success, and it's reasonable to assume he will have me back.

It was really gratifying to me to see so many friends, both steel players and others, including a number of former bandmates from my gigging days, show up. It was also really scary playing in front of such giants as Al Vescovo, Doug "Earnest Bovine" Livingston, and Mark Switzer (who deserves more recognition that he has received.)

I was nervous and hit a few clams, but all in all, I think the evening want extremely well. Everybody seemed to really enjoy it.

The main act, "Nougat" is 2 ladies from Australia, both of whom are award winning players in their native country. Ruth Roshan, and Tania Costantino. Ruth plays the mandolin. Tania is a guitarist. Each is a virtuoso, and they have been playing together now for 3 or 4 years. I joined them ladies from for the last song of the evening, a beautiful piece called "The Lonely Shepard."

You can see a video made of the tune here. I played the pan-pipe part om the steel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQpNURCMpBo

Here is a video of the group playing live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3cDP9CFKPc&mode=user&search=

Once again, thanks to all who came, and to those of you who missed it, sooner or later you will have a second chance.
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2007 9:35 pm    

Mike, you did a great job. We sat right in front of you, but could not make you lose your composure.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2007 9:45 pm    

Doug, watching you watch me was the scariest experience of my life. But the fact that you came means a lot the me, and I'm really gratified that you did.
Dean Batye

California, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2007 7:56 am    

Hey Al,that is a great review on our buddy Mike,some heavy hiters at the show. Mike I DON"T HOW YOU WOULD NOT BE A LITTLE NERVOUS in front of those players.Wish I could have been there.
Dean Batye
Concord, Ca.
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2007 12:41 pm    

Way to go , Mike. Jody.
Al Collinsworth

Post  Posted 18 Sep 2007 1:11 pm    

edit

Last edited by Al Collinsworth on 22 Apr 2008 4:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2007 7:32 pm    

I just heard from the club owner. he is very pleased, and wants me back. We will be meeting in a week or 2 to discuss a date.
Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2007 8:39 pm    

Hey Mike,
I'm really happy to hear how well this went for you. You've done a lot and given a lot, and you deserve to be heard by more people. I'm really looking forward to hearing your latest stuff. I was planning on attending, but unfortunately things came up and I wasn't able to make it out to see you. Please post for the next time, and hopefully I'll have the pleasure of seeing you.

Cliff