| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Reverb on Nashville 112
Ronald Ballister

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2007 7:19 pm    

Just purchased a Nashville 112. It's my first real steel amp (Inspired by going to St. Louis) In the past just messed around with my 67 Pro Reverb. The reverb on the Nashville 112 seems very short in duration (set at 10) compared to my old Fender Pro Reverb (or for that matter any Fender reverb) which sounds huge in comparison. I don't have a good reference for comparison ( although it was purchased locally, Nashville 112s aren't seen too often in these parts). Is it supposed to work that way? Or is there something wrong with the amp? (I realize long-distance diagnosis is tough!) Thanks in advance for any help.
David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2007 2:11 am    

Ronald....The mod offered by Ken Fox (chip upgrade) will go a long way in solving the problem. Unfortunately according to Ken, this will void your warrantee from Peavey. Many players opt to use outboard reverb units run through the post gain effects loop as a solution.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2007 2:35 am    

The reverbs on the Peavey steel guitar amps have never been like the old Fender reverbs. If there is a "knock" on Peavey amps that is it.

For a long time I used a Boss DD-5 digital delay with my Peavey amps and used the Peavey reverb with the delay. I only set the Reverb on 4 or 5 and it was still enough - not the deep reverb like the Fender's but still enough. You can get too much reverb if it's set high.
Ronald Ballister

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2007 4:34 am    

Thanks for the replies:
David-I'm going to get the chips but I'm not sure how they'll help the reverb. Ken said they make the amp quieter and a bit warmer.
Jack-I have a Line 6 Verbzilla which I tried after the volume pedal (I'm gonna take David's sugggestion and try it through the post loop). Aside from quality of sound, there's just a huge difference between the shear amount of reverb I can get between the N112 vs. the Fender or the Verbzilla. If you don't mind I'll send you an mp3 with the Peavey reverb set at 10. Mostly I'm worried that it's not working like it's supposed to.
Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2007 6:08 am    

Does the NV112 have a full size spring unit like the Pro Reverb....or is it the smaller size Question
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2007 6:42 am    

The 112 reverb pan (I think) is identical to the 3 spring reverb in the Nashville 1000. It's "full" size.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2007 6:45 am    

Ron sent me an MP3 file and there is very little reverb (if any) there. I suggested he check the reverb connector make sure it's fully seated in case it loosend in transit (thankfully they are no longer using the flakey Molex connector on both the 112 and and 1000/2000).
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2007 1:11 pm     Nashville 112

I spoke with Ronald this morning and I believe that there is a problem with the Nashville 112 in question. I suggested that he return it to the dealer for repair or replacement.

Having said this, reverb is "subjective", ie; some like more depth than other people, some like more reverb length than others, etc., etc.. If I had to guess, a majority of steelers on this Forum usually use some sort of external effects box to obtain their preferred effects signal, which proves my point......... that effects are "subjective". I don't think that there will ever be an effects processor that satisfies "every" players needs.

The reverb circuit in the Nashville 112 is identical to the Nashville 1000.

Ronald, I remember that you said that you are somewhat of an entry level player. My advice is to use the stock Nashville amp before you even consider modifying the amp. I think that you can do a search on this Forum and the consensus is that amp sounds great as is. Thanks for buying our product.

Mike Brown
Peavey USA
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2007 2:09 pm    

I second Mike's point that the amp sounds great as is. I tried the OPA2604 Op Amps and didn't like it. It was clean but the Nashville 112 didn't sound like a Nashville 112 anymore.
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2007 2:54 pm    

The reverb in my 112 sounds fine and always has. Not quite as deep as a Fender Twin etc., but If I want that sound, the EH Holy Grail does a pretty good job of it. Like Jack, I usually run my reverb at about 4 or 5 and use a DD5 Delay for a little slapback/sustain. I haven't modified anything in my 112, I like it fine the way it is.

BTW, Paul Franklin was using a single Nashville 112 in the Jazz room at ISGC and sounded great.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2007 5:26 am    

Like Jack and Darvin I like the NV112 stock the way I bought it.
I also set my reverb at 4-5 and my DD5 at 11 o'clock, anymore and I find it does not cut thru the other instruments.
Don
Tim Pfeiffer

Roanoke, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2007 5:44 am     Questionable Nashville 112

I posted this earlier but thought maybe it belonged here instead.

I just got my brand new Peavey Nashville 112. Unpacked it, plugged it in and nothing but fizzle. Sounds like a tiny 2" speaker in overdrive. I tried different guitars plugged directly in with no effects. The headphones work but there is no reverb at all. I'm sending it back today. I guess I just got a lemon.

Anybody have any ideas what may have happened? Is there anything I could do before I send it back and then wait another two weeks for an amp?

There was no sign of mishandling by UPS.
Tim Crying or Very sad
Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2007 1:45 pm    

I changed C-10 on the patch board.
That give the amp lot more bottom and I think I'll leave the 22mfd cap in there.

I do worry about the speaker being able to handle a loud volumne for a long time tho. Shocked
Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2007 3:47 am    

Bill Crook wrote:

I do worry about the speaker being able to handle a loud volumne for a long time tho. Shocked

I guess you haven't seen Don Sowersby play his then.Shocked

Those are tough speakers.
Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2007 8:25 am    

The reverb in the NV112 sounds fine to me, better than most spring reverbs.
I use a Boss RV-5 with most amps, but with the NV112 I just use the spring reverb.

BIG STEEL