| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Line 6 Echo Park Review with Sound Samples
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2007 2:28 pm    

Here's a short review of the Line 6 Echo Park Delay as used with pedal steel guitar.

I originally bought the Line 6 Roto-Machine tonecore module and stereo docking base and liked it a lot. See my review of it here! Since I wanted to try the Echo Park and already had the stereo docking base, I just had to purchase the Echo Park module itself, which sell for $69.99 street price. My use of these modules is mostly for recording so I don't mind swapping them around when I need to go from one to the other. If you look at the pictures below, you will see a push botton release for the module located just above the DC power in jack on the front of the base unit. Removing the two screws to the left and right above this button and pushing the button allows the tonecore module to be easily removed. For use around the house, I just leave the screws out and the pushbutton latch is sufficient to retain the module.

Yup, this is just ANOTHER delay pedal and it does a great job on standard delays as does the MD3 delay see review here. They are both fine pedals although the Echo Park is a bit more heavily constructed, weighs a lot more, and takes up more floor space. Overall with the Echo Park switch set in Analog mode, both of these pedals provide a smooth analog like sounding echo that integrates well with the original sound much like the original analog AD9 pedal. In that sense if you just want a smooth basic echo for pedal steel and want to save some bucks, floor space and weight, go with the MD3. If you want more features, useful added features, get the Echo Park. Either one sounds far smoother to me for pedal steel than the Boss DD-20 I had for a long time. I should mention that the Echo Park is capable, in Digital Mode, of getting tight crisp echoes just like the DD-20. All of these pedals are digital and the modes vary just in the amount and kind of filtering applied to the delay.

One of the biggest concerns for the pedal steel guitarist is, "what will this thing do to my sound when it's inline, but switched off"? Both the Echo Park and the MD3 caused a very slight roll off of high frequencies when inserted in the line. The mids and lows were unaffected. Since I use George L's cables and have all the highs I need, the Echo Park is transparent enough for me to leave in the line all the time, and my basic sound is still there, with only a subtle change. Interpretation: This thing does not trash your sound when inserted in the line. I run my MSA Legend into a Goodrich Model 120 pot pedal, then to a Boss RV-5, then the Echo Park out to my Fender Steel King amp.

I used this unit without the battery, and powered it with a Danelectro DA-1 "zero hum" AC adapter and got no AC hum or power supply noise. These adapters sell for about $20 for a 2 pack on ebay.

So what does this offer that a basic delay pedal like the MD3 does not?;

The LED light always blinks at the same rate as the delay setting! You see at a glance, even in the dark what the delay setting is.You can tap the pedal to set the delay, whether the delay is on or off. A soft taps sets the delay, a harder one turns it on/off.

There are 3 modes, Tape, Digital, Analog. I use the Analog with steel, the Digital is very clean and the Tape is similar in sound to the Analog
A TRAILS switch gives you the option of having the delay complete it's sound (or not!) effect after the effect is switched off.

Different tap settings on the selector switch control the Tap range setting. Very handy and increases the accuracy of your taps for different delay ranges.

Setting the selector switch to SLAP, narrows the range of the TIME control allowing you to zero in on a precise slap back delay.

The MOD control seems like a gimmick but I've grown to like it a lot. It modifies the delayed sound while leaving the dry original sound unchanged In Analog mode it adds vibrato to the delayed sound. In Digital mode it adds chorus and in Tape mode it adds wow and flutter.

There are many other modes such as Duck, Swell, Reverse, Multi-Tap and Ping Pong which I did not find too useful for steel.

Some pictures and sound samples are provided below. All audio samples include a Boss RV-5 set on Plate reverb between the foot volume and Echo Park.

More pictures here.

Sound Sample 1

Sound Sample 2

Sound Sample 3

Sound Sample 4

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2007 6:34 am    

Greg,
Nice playing , and you really get a nice tone !!..Jim
Paul Frank Bloomfield

Greece
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2007 3:06 am     line six echo park

just read the article on the echo park and had to
read it again !! $69.99 !! I purchased one in Cranes,
Cardiff, Wales, UK two years ago for 112 pounds,
at the current rate that works out in my simple
mind at around $224 !!! apart from begining to
believe I 'wos had, anybody got got an answer to
make me feel a little better. I was'nt impressed
with it for my steel either.
frank Bloomfield. Corfu
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2007 9:00 am    

Those samples sound more like reverb than delay to me.
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2007 9:45 am    

Line 6 Pedals and especially the "Compressor" pedal are dissapearing and showing up on craigslists etc. much cheaper.

Dunno what it is.

To begin with they're awfully large and clunky. Those slide switches look like they're begging for debris.

Line 6 is a funny company.

Kind of like Peavey.

They're REALLY good at what they do best.

The other stuff, well...

Great Playing Demo Greg.

I look to start slamming some stuff up with my new Boss Micro BR once I RTMFM....

Smile

EJL
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2007 10:53 am    

There IS a lot of reverb in the samples. I like to use a lot of reverb and just a touch of echo for more sustain when running one amp. With a two amp setup I like to use more echo and get a fatter sound up close that way. My review is there just to provide more information about the Echo Park, certainly not a sales pitch, just more info for anyone that is looking around for effects boxes. They sure are clunky but I do like the Echo Park a lot more than any of the Boss delay pedals. It has a real smooth analog sound to it. These are also great for recording as you can buy one base and a bunch of modules used for just a few bucks.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2007 5:09 am    

The RV-5 is my favorite reverb pedal. I lke it better than any of the Lexicon reverbs. I doesn't seem like it would be a big deal for Boss to add a delay section to the RV-5 with a few more knobs except that they would lose sales of delay pedals.

Greg