| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Member Dave Thimot
Jim Walker

Headland, AL
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2007 9:23 am    

I met a real nice young fella at my gig last Friday night. He has recently purchased a steel and amp and has begun his journey into this world of steel guitar where the most of us live happily. He is now a Forum member via my sugestion and I want to be the first to welcome him. I for one would not be as far along as I am if it were not for the forum and the freinds and players I have met here and in the www.steelguitarchatroom.com . It's my chance to pass on what you folks gave me so freely. I'll be glad to do it.

JW

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2007 10:18 am    

Dave Thimot,sign in please and tell us all about yourself.{lol,"whats my line"}..
Dave Thimot

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2007 1:37 pm    

First off I 'd like to thank Jim for warm welcome to the forum. I'm a twenty-six year old navy diver from Canada working with the USN down in Florida.

I'm interested in old Rockabilly and Honky Tonk Country music and I've dabbled with the electric guitar. On a recent road trip to Nashville, TN I watched an old pedal steel player perform at Legends. I've always enjoyed the sound of the pedal steel but this was the first time (that I can remember) that I actually saw it played live. When I left Nashville I decided I would learn the Steel.

The next weekend I bought a Carter Starter on which I've been practicing for the last couple months. I've been using a little Marshall guitar practice amp which is ok, I recently picked up a Fender Steel King on-line but it hasn't arrived in the mail yet so I'm still stuck with the Marshall.

I head back to Canada in October and my friends back home are already bugging me to play steel for their band. Right now I'm not even close to being able to play with a band but hopefully with a little guidance and a lot of practice I'll be able to play with them.

Besides playing guitar my work keeps me pretty busy, much to the dismay of my wife. If I do find myself with a little free time I also enjoy working on my old car ('53 Pontiac) or playing with my little dog.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2007 2:05 pm    

Welcome to the Steel Guitar Forum and to the world of steel guitars, Dave. Seems like you are all fired up to learn this instrument! Have fun and don't be afraid to post questions. Let us know how the new Steel King works out. I played a Carter Starter through my Steel King a few months ago and it sounded just great.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Stan Paxton

1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2007 9:48 am    

Well Dave, welcome to here...obviously you're "hooked" now, and as soon as you get the chance back home or otherwise, "dive" right in & start playing with a band or jam groups... Cool
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2007 6:49 pm    

Welcome Dave,from Alabama.

Headland, AL
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2007 1:43 am    

A very enthusiastic Dave came by the house today so we set our steels up, made some musical noise, watched videos and listen to steel music for like 4 hours. What a blast! I think he's got the heart and soul, the discipline and the love for country music to become a great steel player.

Keep on pick'n Dave!

JW

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2007 4:27 pm    

Thanks again Jim for all the tips and advice I really appreciate it. I'm starting to get the chime down now, and I'm working on keeping that eblow tucked in. Talk to you later.

N. Padre Island, Tx.
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2007 8:39 pm     "welcome"

Welcome Dave...from the Beach of South Texas...
"A Big Texas Howdy"!

Brian Folks

Zum D-10 Hybrid, Peavey 112's, Goodrich Pedals
Boss GX700 Rack EFX
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2007 12:43 am    

Welcome to this Great Forum Dave from the Pyrenees Very Happy
Keith DeLong

Dartmouth NS Canada
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2007 3:01 am     Welcome

Welcome to the Forum, Dave--
I know people with your last name in Nove Scotia--any relatives here?