| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Carter starter pickup replacement
Dave O'Brien

Florida and New Jersey
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2007 3:27 am    

anybody done this and have any suggestions - size? type? got one for sale? --I'm trying to help a student out. Thanks, Dave
Randal Smith

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2007 3:35 pm    

Just curious. I have a Starter, and it sounds really good (for what it is). Why does the pickup need replacing? Problem, or just looking for a different sound?

On a perhaps related note (pardon the pun), I am planning on trying an active preamp in my Starter. I have one I bought from guitarfetish.com and it was installed in a guitar of mine. I had some problems with the battery mounting. There wasn't room in the cavity. Don't have that problem with the Carter. This preamp is tiny, but gives about 8db of gain and converts the signal to low impedance. I was hoping to install it this week, but we're working overtime, so maybe this weekend.
Warmoth Custom Guitar
Gibson GA-20 Amp
"We have enough youth, how about a Fountain of Smart?"
John Cisco

Alexandria Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2007 4:30 pm     I replaced my starter pickup

When I had it I replaced the single coil with a George L's 10-1. It made a huge difference for me. I must have funny power in my house because I could'nt get the hum to go away. After I replaced it the hum was gone. It also seemed to smooth out the tone as well. Very Happy

*Small change can often be found under seat cushions in taxicabs*
Ed Javner

Mt. View Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2007 5:53 pm    

I bought my Starter used and it had a George L E-66 and it sounded great. It was the two left kick knee leavers that were the problum. The two right ones worked great but they realy cut the corners on the left kicks.
Ed Javner

Mt. View Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2007 5:54 pm    

I bought my Starter used and it had a George L E-66 and it sounded great. It was the two left kick knee leavers that were the problum. The two right ones worked great but they realy cut the corners on the left kicks.
Dave O'Brien

Florida and New Jersey
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2007 5:29 am     Starter pickup

When I owned it I thought it sounded fine but the guy I sold it to is causing me lots of problems because he says it hums. I told him it wasn't a "Humbucking pickup" but only a student model but he complained to Paypal and they froze my account for the $ he paid me! AND told him he could have a refund on me! No more Paypal for this boy....but that's another topic. Anyway I'm trying to make him happy here and wondering what fits - wide mount - narrow, etc.? Dave
Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2007 2:57 am    

Ed - I had the same problem you mentioned with the friction on the two knee levers with 2 of my customers. I ended up milling small 1/8" wide slots in the arms and inserted 1/8" square nylon 'pads' which I pressed in and glued (nylon can't technically be glued as nothing sticks to it), then used Slick 50 Teflon-based grease sparingly to kill the friction entirely. Both of these guitars are still working well for their owners. It's work you shouldn't have to do, but, as you mentioned, the metal-against-metal thing makes the effort needed to move these levers pretty bad. Grease on the metal surfaces won't do a bit of good. . .you still basically have metal-against-metal after the grease pushes out of the contact area. Nylon pads are the only way to remedy the situation. Know anyone with a milling machine and a 3/32" dia end mill that can mill you some .122"/.123" slots in those arms?? That's the ticket!!! The nylon can be purchased online from many places, but I use ENCO and it's here in two days.
PRR
Rick E. Jackson

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2007 3:20 am     Carter Starter pickup

Dave, I'm curious to see what replacement pickup you went with for the Starter. My Starter is only 5 months old and has a slight hum, most noticable on an amp with a 12" spkr. Its the 2nd Carter Starter I've had with the same issue. Plug in my GFI D-10 same amp, cables, and vol pedal, and no hum or buzz whatsoever. Regards, Rick
Jerry Shaner

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2007 4:40 am    

When I first started playing steel I started out on a Carter Starter then bought a Shobud, my carter never had a hum but the shobud does. I play the shobud through the same amp using the same cables so it must in the pickup on the shobud, it’s not really that bad but to my ears can be annoying.
I love to play the Carter it’s a great little steel the only complaint I have is what others have mentioned, the knee levers are cheap made and the LRK has too much travel. I did read somewhere that the pickup that comes new with the starter is made especially for that guitar.

Jerry
Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2007 5:20 am     Gee Whizz

Wow, never have these kind of problems with my GFI Economy Model!!

Ernie Whoa!
Jerry Shaner

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2007 5:45 am    

Are you trying to tell us something Ernie Razz

Jerry
Alex Piazza

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2007 7:54 am    

I really liked the sound that my carter starter puts out. I liked it so much I bought a pro carter, and I dont like the sound the george l's give me. Im actually thinking of swaping them out.
Colin Mclean

Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2007 12:11 pm    

My Carter hums a little too, but again it is a single coil pickup. One of my strats hums like crazy, the other one not so bad.

Other factors can be and probably are involved, though. Some amps are quieter than others, and RF interference from computers/TVs/flourescent lights can be a problem, as well as "dirty power".

Line conditioners are supposed to work wonders, though I've never tried one.
Dave O'Brien

Florida and New Jersey
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2007 2:59 pm     Pickups

Alex - IMHO the BL XR-16's are the way to go in a Carter but I also have a S-12 with a George L 12-1 that's almost as good.
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2007 8:41 pm    

...I'd keep the pick-up and replace the rest of the instrument.. Very Happy
Dave O'Brien

Florida and New Jersey
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2007 2:29 pm     replace?

come on Alan; you must admit a Starter is head and shoulders above a crappy old Maverick and at about the same price! Wouldn't you have liked one when you started out...4 knees? I would have.
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2007 8:58 pm    

I did. My first pedal steel was a Carter Starter. The mechanism is okay but the pedal bar bends when you push the pedals. The best thing I ever did was buy a Sho-Bud D10 Crossover.
Mike Beley

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2023 8:36 am    

I know this is an old thread, but anyone put a 705 (re issue) in a CS? How did it sound, is it a fit? Thanks