| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal/kl rods binding.
Michael Haselman

St. Paul
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2007 10:53 am    

I'm going to try to tackle this when I get home, but here's the deal: I have a tuneable split for B-Bb on string 5, which, with A, C pedals, Franklin change, etc. makes it pretty crowded. I can't keep the C pedal in tune, and when I mash the C, the RKL moves, which is my B-Bb. Should I just loosen all the bell cranks and move them around until nothing binds? I need to tune the C pedal now every time I set it up, and it's getting very frustrating.

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2007 12:06 pm    

Michael, the knee lever movement isn't necessarily a problem in itself. It could simply be the rods rubbing against each other causing it to move.

The tuning issue is a different matter. I'd take a close look at all the pulls on the 5th string. There should be a little rod slack in each of them...meaning a little freedom for rod movement without any pedals activated. If one of the unactivated pull rods is tight, it usually means there's not enough travel in that knee lever, or pedal...so you end up over tightening the tuning nut to get it to pull in tune...because the travel is too short. The open note, or another pull, will thus be thrown out of whack. So you chase your tail and scratch your head.

It's awkward to explain. Just grab each pull rod and see if you can slide it back and forth a little...1/8th to 1/4 inch or so. When you find the tight one, adjust that knee or pedal to allow more travel, then tune up and try it again.

The other possible cause might be the changer binding, or maybe a string ball stuck in the changer.

Hope this helps. Smile
Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2007 12:10 pm    

Oh, one other thing. While watching the changer, activate each raise on the 5th string and watch to see if the lowering finger of the changer moves, or pulls away, from it's at-rest position. If it does, the spring needs to be tightened a little. That finger should not move at all when a raise happens.