| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Did Valco ever make an 8-str. string-through pickup?
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 2:45 am    

Just wondering. I've seen a lot of 6-string Valco string-through PUs on Supros, Oahus, Nationals, Silvertones, etc... but I don't recall ever seeing an 8-string version of that PU. The 8-string Valco lap steels I have seen have a standard string-over PU.

What about the 1939-41 National Console? It's a double-8, and it looks like a "double New Yorker". I've seen pictures of them but there is a black cover over the pickups. I saw a picture of an early National Console double with 6 and 8. The 6-string neck had a string-through PU, and the 8-string neck had the cover over the PU, so I'm guessing that it was not a string-through.
Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 3:56 am    

Doug B
I believe the answer is YES
I recently sold a Supro single 8 with legs
that I am pretty sure has the strings through pickup the same as the most commonly seen type on most Valco made models-I will check with the friend I sold it to to try and confirm this
And as far as the early National "The Console" models go I do believe the part going over the pickup is strictly a handrest-The double 8 that I owned had chrome (silver colored) pickups underneath that are very shrill (treble) sounding IMHO This model is the one that looks like two New Yorkers and not to be confused with the later National "Grand Console" model which is in turn of course not to be confused with Gibson's "Console Grande"
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 5:00 am    

Thanks Paul, just to clarify for forum members, I'm wondering if Valco ever made an 8-string version of this:

Richard Shatz

St. Louis
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 9:15 am    

Doug,
I'll have to agree with Paul. Valco produced both single 8 and double 8 console models. The only 8-string model had a string-through pickup.

On a similar note has anyone ever seen a string-through 7-string? I've only seen one. It's mounted on a 7-string Gibson EH-185N.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 10:01 am    

Thanks Richard and Paul. That 8-string "string-through" PU must be a rare bird. Anyone out there have a picture of one they could post? thanks
Rick Alexander

Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 10:27 am    

Doug, this 30s 8 string New Yorker has a string-through pickup.
When I first got it, it didn't sound like much - but with the addition of a set of NIBros it came to life - thanks Rick Aiello!
Now it sounds strong and sweet . .

BIG STEEL
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2008 12:20 pm    

Thanks for posting that Rick! You're the Man.

I know what you mean about the Nibro magnets. I installed a set in my English Electronics lap steel, and it sounds like it's on steroids!