| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hey everyone! New member here with a new guitar!
Ted Ramey

Califonia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2007 8:01 pm    

Well, i've finally taken my long awaited plunge into the pedal steel world. I've been saving for a while and sold off a Les Paul Custom i had but never played and found myself in the financial situation to buy a pedal steel, and last night, i did! A present to myself for turning 25 you could call it. So i wanted to show everyone my guitar and see what you all thought about it. its a Sho-bud LDG custom, but it has two necks E9 and C6. I thought that LDG's were all single neck, but i guess this one is more comparable to a pro II, maybe some of you can shed some light on this guitar for me. I'm gonna be taking lessons here in the bay area from Duane Wong, but if anyone else knows any other teachers in the area i'd like to meet them as well. tom bradshaw lives only a couple miles away, so i'm lucky in that regard. Anyway, just wanted to say hi and that i am looking forward to learning from everyone here. my first lessons isn't until next week, so if anyone has any advice on books or dvd's/videos to buy before hand or anything else, let me know. PEACE!

Larry Strawn

Golden Valley, Arizona, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2007 8:21 pm    

Ted,

Welcome to the Forum, lots of great people here. Very Happy

Nice guitar, I don't know much about Sho-Buds, but I also thought all LDG's were single necks on a double body.

Enjoy your new adventure, and remember to roll with the flow. Very Happy

Larry
Ted Ramey

Califonia, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2007 10:21 pm    

this is the copedent. not quite standard, do y'all think i should have it set to standard?

Single raise and single lower except for 4th and 5th on E9 which are double
raise.....this allows the standard E9 setup on ABC pedals. Of course you
could change the changer fingers if you want to.

E9: standard Emmons on ABC. LKL: raises 4&8 to F, LKR raise 7 and 1 to G,
RKL lowers 4and 8 to Eb, RKR lowers 2 to D and C#.

C6: standard C6. RKL lowers 3 to B
Ernest Cawby

Lake City, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2007 12:54 am     hi

Looks like someone replaced the parts on the back neck, if the decal is org.

ernie
Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2007 4:39 am    

Hi Ted. A big welcome to the Forum and the addictive world of the steel guitar.

How 'bout a pic of the underside. We'd love to see that baby's mechanics.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2007 6:00 am    

The copedent is quite standard. No need to change anything.

Sho~Bud made so many exceptions to the rules that I'm not surprised at all about any idiosyncracies regarding features. The color of the C6 neck and the yellowing of the lacquer match the front neck, so it looks to me like it's simply a double-10 LDG, a one-off guitar.

Should be a great horn.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Ted Ramey

Califonia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2007 7:55 am    

underneath:

Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2007 9:21 am    

That guitar IS in great condition, Ted. You have every right to be very proud of it. I would be if it were mine.

Don't ever let it go. That's the kind of guitar that memories are made of.
mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2007 10:27 am    

Ted,
That is a very late round front.... one of the first nylon tuning changers, diamond inlay, underside not painted with the light green texture....and the D-10 LDG is very unusual.... hang on to it. I imagine that it sounds great.
Ted Ramey

Califonia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2007 11:12 am    

any idea what year it is? Oh, and its a new true tone pickups on the e9. i have the original one as well, which has be rewound. do y'all think i should slap the original on there?

Last edited by Ted Ramey on 18 Jul 2007 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2007 11:14 am    

I would guess '74 or real early 75....
Harvey Richman

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2007 12:50 pm     Welcome!

Hello Ted and welcome to the forum. Lots of good folks and good information here. Nice Sho Bud in very clean original looking condition. I's sure you'll enjoy it.
Regards
Harvey Richman
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2007 1:53 am    

Welcome to this Great Forum Ted Very Happy
you done come to the right place & peoples
do you know how many of us way back when in the good ol' days did'nt have a ressource like dis forum ?
you'll get all the help you need here Ted, so don't be bashfull
jump on in !

Sho~Bud Sho Good
i started out w: one & loved it
a Professional D10
Mark Treepaz

Hamburg, New York USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2007 6:40 am    

Nice looking guitar.

However, beside it being a D-10 LDG, there's a couple of other things that seem unusual about this guitar. The underside finish isn't typical of the LDG's (is it?) Also, I'm curious as to what is the logo/insignia on the front of the pedal bar? (I can't quite make it out in the picture.) It doesn't look like the typical Sho-Bud logo. I see in one of the pics of the underside, that there is a sticker on the inside. What does that sticker say? Is there a serial/model number on there?

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2007 8:35 am    

I was going to ask about the sticker underneath as well.

Everything looks stock except the Truetone and the pedal bar logo (looks like it says "music" (or "magic")??). Interesting transitional features--round front with diamond inlays, nylon tuners with wide pedals.

I always assumed that single neck with pad was what made an LDG an LDG. But I guess maybe just being green qualifies!

I think you got lucky when you found that one!
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2007 9:08 am    

Ted, You're a lucky guy! you've got a beautiful guitar and you are young enough to to look forward to a long happy experience with it. Enjoy! Very Happy

Mark Treepaz

Hamburg, New York USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2007 9:24 am    

Brint Hannay wrote:
I always assumed that single neck with pad was what made an LDG an LDG. But I guess maybe just being green qualifies!

No, you're correct Brint. An LDG is a single 10 with a pad. That's what makes this particular guitar interesting.

I'm just wondering if somebody at one time had a couple of LDG's laying around (perhaps one was one severly damaged?) and combined parts of two to make one guitar? (or something like that?). Note also that the pedals are the older, wider type, typical of the earlier LDG's.

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2007 9:50 am    

I was kind of kidding about being green qualifying.

My non-expert guess would be that probably the original owner had this as a true LDG and sent/took it to the factory to have it converted to a doubleneck. It would have had to be early, because there isn't a different fade pattern on the back half of the body (and all the hardware matches). There seem to be screw holes in at least some of the same places where the pad is attached on my LDG.

I'm still curious what that sticker says.
Matthew Prouty

Warsaw, Poland
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2007 10:49 am    

Advice to a beginner from a beginner.

Get the following:

Jeff Newman:

DVD Bandstand Backup 1 and 2
DVD Just Play the melody
DVD Give Me an Intro
Back Up from Jeff Newman Honky Tonk Heros any one or all.
Blues Blues from Jeff Newman. (This will get you thinking about the other chords out there)

This is about 1 months worth of material for the quick learner and maybe 3 months worth to get is down pat. This material will get you ready to do what you need to do to hold your own with a band. These are top notch courses and once you get these down you can sit in with a band and get yourself off the ground.

After that you should look at No Speed limit and C6th Workshop.

That is a beautiful guitar!

Welcome

M.
Tony Rankin

Land O’ Lakes, FL
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2007 11:21 am    

Anyone else notice that the LDG decal says LDG Custom instead of LDG Model? I've seen decal variations for LDG's with "special paint" but never the "custom" variation. This is a very interesting guitar.

Hamburg, New York USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2007 12:20 pm    

Tony Rankin wrote:
Anyone else notice that the LDG decal says LDG Custom instead of LDG Model? I've seen decal variations for LDG's with "special paint" but never the "custom" variation. This is a very interesting guitar.

Hmmm. Very interesting indeed. Confused

Hey Ted, did you get any background about this guitar from the person you purchased it from?

Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2007 2:44 pm    

Did anybody else notice that the E9 changer is the later "Custom" style, while the C6 is the earlier "Professional" style? Looking at the undercarriage, you can see it plainly. The E9 changer is just like my '76 Pro 1, while the C6 changer is like my old '69 Baldwin Transitional/Professional. A true transitional guitar in a lot of ways, I guess.

Last edited by Chris LeDrew on 19 Jul 2007 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2007 2:47 pm    

Chris, Good catch. Also part of that difference, the E9th has "helper" springs and the C6th doesn't.
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2007 2:59 pm    

Yes, Brint, I noticed that.

Also, there are a lot of filled drillholes around the underside of the C6. And some of the bigger holes near the endplates suggest an initial installation of a pad. They are in the same place as the screws I've seen on some of the LDG undercarriages. Someone with an LDG in their possession may be able to match this up better.

Either way, a very interesting guitar. I have a feeling this thread will grow. Smile
Ted Ramey

Califonia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2007 3:15 pm    

The guy said he bought it a couple years back and had tom bradshaw set it up. He had about 8 other pedal steels that he was selling cuz he said he had too many. I didn't really ask for the background, but he gave me the original case and a shobud volume pedal, and in the case it has the guitar's serial number. Even if i got sorta scammed, i think i got scammed in a good way. Its a truly beautiful guitar. To be honest i was really only concerned with how it played and sounded and as long as it did everything i assumed it would do and everything returned to pitch, i was gonna buy it. I showed the pics to some pedal steel pros in LA and their immediate reaction was "BUY IT, BUY IT, BUY IT," so i didn't show much hesitation in doing so.