| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  retro-fit knee levers
Drew Howard

Post  Posted 19 Aug 2007 12:06 pm    

Some of the knees on my Fessy are screwed right to the crossbar. When they become loose and need tightening I have to remove the pulls and stops to turn the crossbar so I can reach the Allen screw on the other side. With some other steel guitars the knees are welded to a bracket that slides onto the crossbar, much like a rod puller (bell crank). This puts the screw in plain view and much easier to access.

Pic of Performance Steel Guitar

What I'd like to do is buy some knee levers from, say, Rains or Performance that have the feature I need. Are crossbars generally about the same size (1/4" - 5/16") among pedal steel builders - thus making the switch out easy?

I would gladly send the guitar to Jerry to have work done on it but I don't have a window big enough to allow for shipping and Jerry's time, so I'd rather do the work myself.

Sorry for the long post.

Drew
Wayne Baker

Altus Oklahoma
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2007 3:29 pm     Knees

Drew, if you plan on leaving your knees in the same place, I'd apply an adhesive to the screw. RTV would work well, because it would prevent the screw from moving, but would allow you to remove it if you wanted. I have only owned two PSG's, both are of the same manufacturer. so I can't offer any advice on retrofitting.

Wayne Baker
Emmett Roch

Texas Hill Country
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2007 3:39 pm    

I've used Elmer's Glue on screws in a pinch before. It works OK, but it's a quick-fix.

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2007 7:53 pm    

Drew, you could try some blue Loctite on the screw threads. That would hold them in place. I've never had any of the levers on my Fessy come loose.
Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2007 3:09 am    

If you use Loctite, make sure you use the semi-permanent type...I think it's blue. The permanent type (red?) could make the screw unremoveable.