| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Problem with Internet Explorer
Walter Hamlin

Talladega, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2007 6:09 pm    

Frequently a window will appear and state that IE has encountered a problem and needs to close......
I send the report to MS and the start page comes up.
I am having more problems after going to IE 7.
Any basic ideas what is causing this because it can be very frustrating, irritating and aggravating.
I am thinking of going to Firefox.
Walter
erik

Post  Posted 8 Aug 2007 6:30 pm    

I going to guess that you are running an O.S. that is something less than XPsp2. If that is the case upgrade your operating system or buy a new computer.

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2007 7:04 pm     Re: Problem with Internet Explorer

Walter Hamlin wrote:

I am thinking of going to Firefox.

Yes, you might as well install a few browsers and use the ones you like best. I find that some things are better in IE, while some things are better in Firefox. There are many others available as free downloads, including Netscape, Opera, and even Safari for Windows.
Walter Hamlin

Talladega, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2007 7:33 pm     Problem with IE

But I am running XP SP2 with all the updates I can get. .
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2007 10:07 pm     Re: Problem with IE

Walter Hamlin wrote:
But I am running XP SP2 with all the updates I can get. .

Walter;
There are several things that can cause Internet Explorer to crash.

1. corrupt browser support files or Registry entries
  2. badly written, unstable browser add-ons, plug-ins, or BHOs
  3. browser homepage or search hijackers or parasites
  4. adware, or spyware, or other malware that hooks into Internet Explorer can cause it to crash
  5. corrupt system files may manifest themselves by crashing IE.
  6. Excessive Temporary Internet Files can make your browser unstable.

You can eliminate each of these classes of troublemakers one at a time. The easiest place to start troubleshooting is the browser itself. Start by disabling any add-ons you have installed knowingly, or unknowingly. This includes toolbars and plug-ins.

You may want to print out these instructions in case IE crashes while you are performing these actions.

To disable or uninstall add-ons to Internet Explorer close all instances of Internet Explorer and open Control Panel. Click on Network and Internet Connections, if you are using the Category View in Control Panel, then/or on Internet Options. The "Internet Properties" options window will open.

On the General tab of "Internet Properties," in the section labeled "Browsing History," click on "Delete." In the "Delete Browsing History" box that opens click on "Delete files" in the Temporary Internet Files section at the top. click Yes when questioned by the popup confirmation box. This may take a minute or two. When it finishes deleting files click Close on the bottom of the Delete Browsing History box.

Next, click on the "Programs" tab. Near the bottom of that tab page click on the "Manage add-ons" button. In the options field at the top select "Add-ons that have been used by Internet Explorer." In the list underneath click on "Publisher" to sort by the publisher's name, or lack thereof. Highlight each add-on that does not have Microsoft Corporation as the publisher (or has no publisher listed, or is labeled "unknown") and click on the radio setting option underneath to "Disable" it. When all non-Microsoft add-ons and plug-ins and toolbars are disabled click on OK, at the bottom right.

Now, click on the Advanced tab on Internet Properties. Scroll to the "Browsing" section and uncheck the option "Enable third party browser extensions." Click Apply. Go further down to the "Security" section and check the option labeled "Empty Temporary Internet Files Folder when browser is closed" and click Apply again. Near the bottom of the Security section is an option group for the Anti-Phishing Filter. Decide what, if any level of protection suits you, select it, then click Apply, then OK, to close these options completely.

After you disable these items restart Internet Explorer and try visiting a website with which you previously experienced crashes. If the website loads properly and the browser remains active you can conclude that one of the add-on items you disabled was causing it to crash. You next step would be to run full spyware and virus scans to see if any add-ons or toolbars, or BHOs are malware and have them removed by your security programs. Be sure you update the security program definitions before scanning or you might miss a new variant of malware.

After any spyware, adware, or other unwanted programs or toolbars have been deleted, go back to your Internet Options from Internet Explorer itself and try re-enabling the remaining add-ons, one at a time, testing for stability as you go. If the problems were caused by adware, spyware, or viruses that were removed your browser should now be stable. If you want to display a toolbar again you must go to the "Advanced" Internet Options tab and recheck "Enable third party browser extensions," then click Apply > OK. Restart your browser and you will be able to re-enable your toolbars from the View > Toolbars menu item. or they may just reappear.

You may need to increase your security defenses to prevent reinfection by the same, or similar threats. Also, it is common for malware to hide in files that are backed up in System Restore. Most anti virus and anti spyware utilities will advise you to disable System Restore before cleaning out the threats that are listed in the scan results. This is done by right-clicking on My Computer, then on the "System Restore" tab, then placing a checkmark in the option to "Turn off System Restore." Click Apply, accept the challenge and wait for SR to be emptied of it's contents. All restore points will be deleted, as will all threats hiding in them. When you have cleaned all infections and the system is stable again, re-enable System Restore.

Let me know if this helps your problem.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2007 2:29 am    

One of the big problems right now is the Shockwave plug in. I get that occasionally on some sites (USA Today is one of them) and it's always caused by the Shockwave Plugin. I have the latest version as suggesed by Microsoft as a fix but it still has problems. One suggestion was to uninstall shockwave and then download and install the latest version but that still doesn't resolve the problems. Since Adobe bought shockwave it's been a fiasco.
Walter Hamlin

Talladega, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2007 4:59 am     IE problem

Thanks for your chapter, Wiz. I will try what you suggested.
And thanks to Earnest, erik and Jack for your input.
It seems that Mozilla has a better track record than IE7, I think I had much less problem with IE6 than the 7. I guess I could totally eliminate IE7 from the system.
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2007 7:59 am     Re: IE problem

Walter Hamlin wrote:
Thanks for your chapter, Wiz. I will try what you suggested.

I guess I could totally eliminate IE7 from the system.

Nope, you can't eliminate IE from your system; it is part of the OS itself, in total disregard for the Court ruling of the late 1990's ordering Microsoft to separate Internet Exlorer from the OS and to allow it to be removed entirely without breaking the OS.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Walter Hamlin

Talladega, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2007 7:01 am     IE problem

What I meant was I could eliminate IE7 and use IE6, as I rarely had a problem with IE6 and I can't recall any that I had.
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2007 7:28 am     Re: IE problem

Walter Hamlin wrote:
What I meant was I could eliminate IE7 and use IE6, as I rarely had a problem with IE6 and I can't recall any that I had.

Walter;
The only way that will happen is if you reinstall the operating system from the original CD and overwrite all files in the Windows directories, then reapply all Windows Updates except for IE 7. There is no rollback to IE 6 after upgrading to IE 7, except for System Restore, which would have to be used soon after upgrading. Sad

FWIW, I only use Internet Explorer for testing website layouts and for obtaining manual Windows or Office updates. I don't browse the web with it as I consider it too dangerous, even fully patched. I browse with Firefox instead and have no crashes or spyware installations foisted on me like I might have with IE. There is a link to download the current version of Firefox in my signature. Try it. It will offer to import your Internet Explorer Favorites and Cookies during setup. Do so, as nothing will be lost in IE (it just copies them). If you still prefer IE after trying Firefox so be it. Firefox will offer to be the default HTML browser, which you can say no to until you are certain you like it. It can also be uninstalled without harming your operating system.
Walter Hamlin

Talladega, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2007 8:50 am     IE Problem

Thanks Wiz,
If I go with Firefox, would you also recommend Thunderbird for email or stay with OE.
Thanks,
Walter
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2007 1:46 pm     Re: IE Problem

Walter Hamlin wrote:
Thanks Wiz,
If I go with Firefox, would you also recommend Thunderbird for email or stay with OE.
Thanks,
Walter

Walter;
Believe it or not I actually still use Outlook Express, because I have dozens of folders and sub-folders created, along with mail sorting rules for them. I'll probably continue using it until I move up to Windows Vista, which has it's own new email client. Maybe I'll move to Thunderbird then.

What it really boils down to is if you keep your computer patched and maintain up to date anti-malware definitions and real-time protection against intruders, and run with reduced user privileges, your exposure to hostile software becomes nil and you can use any email client or browser you prefer. If you can't or won't operate as a Limited User I would advise you to switch to Thunderbird (try it out at least) and Firefox, for your own protection. Firefox is inherently more secure than IE because it does not recognize or run ActiveX applets or BHOs, which IE does use. It is also maintained by fanatical security buffs who are looking for reasons to release updates whenever a vulnerability is reported. Microsoft only releases updates on a monthly schedule, unless a horrible zero-day exploit is publicized and their large corporate clients demand an out-of-cycle fix.

This reminds me to mention to y'all that Windows Updates are coming next Tuesday, August 14.