Author Topic:  Mindy McCready charged with Battery, Resisting Arrest
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2007 9:10 am    

She's at it again. The Tanya Harding of Country Music. Winking CLICK

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2007 11:53 am    

She can't stay out of trouble. Her Nashville career is probably down the drain.
Les Anderson

The Great White North
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2007 5:07 pm    

She sure is not alone for entertainers to get into the odd scuffle.

I toured for a spell with a very well known R&B vocalist who would always become obnoxious after too many bourbons or mixing her bourbon with pills. Even her own band members and close friends would avoid her before and after a show if she had been drinking because everyone knew what was coming.

The cops would show up sometimes to deal with her but it rarely made it to the news media in those days.

I could also name two well known country artists who got into trouble on more than one occasion because of their physical abuse to those around them but, were lucky enough to keep most of their dumb shenanigans out of the news.
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2007 8:03 pm    

I find her attractive.

But that's just me I guess..

Smile

EJL
Randy Phelps

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2007 8:41 pm    

She has the look on her face you have when you finally break down and read the fine print. I always feel like a vulture when I read these stories.

Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down
Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down
Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down
Kick em when theyre up
Kick em all around

Whenever I see people in trouble like this I always try to remember that at some point they were cool little kids who need help. I hope things turn around for her...
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2007 9:30 pm    

It's sad to see someone throw away a successful career.
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2007 4:40 am    

When somewhere between 7% to 12% of the population is predisposed towards alcoholism, I can't figure out why 50% of musicians are drunk... the chicken or the egg?
Les Anderson

The Great White North
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2007 7:00 am    

David Mason wrote:
When somewhere between 7% to 12% of the population is predisposed towards alcoholism, I can't figure out why 50% of musicians are drunk... the chicken or the egg?

Could it be the atmosphere most working musicians work in? I play twice a week in an establishment where enough beer is served in a week to float an aircraft carrier. During a working evening, at least 15-20 drinks are offered to the musicians who are on stage.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2007 7:14 am    

edit

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 29 Dec 2021 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2007 9:46 am    

It's an occupational hazard...
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2007 10:21 am    

I saw her on Oprah about a year ago and it was sad.She's a combination of beautiful,and dumb as a box of rocks...and dumb won out!In her case it has nothing to do with her occupation.When Oprah was interviewing her it was like watching a five year old...A below average five year old.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2007 10:43 am    

I discovered a long time ago that musical ability has nothing to do with intelligence. Performers who make it big and Stay on top for 30 or 40 years have it All together: talent, brains, good business sense, etc. Twits like this girl are a flash in the pan. A pretty face, an okay voice, lots of cleavage, the right connections, and a lot of luck... might lead to success in the music business, but it takes a brain and good sense to stay on top.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2007 10:45 am    

Being around bars and drinking will make you drink is a CROCK.I have spent over fifty years in clubs and honky tonks,For years six nights a week,98 percent of my best friends are pickers,not all,but a lot of them either drink too much,do dope,smoke weed,etc,I have NEVER,NEVER,NEVER, drank[not even beer],took dope, or smoked weed,So when someone say's it's peer pressure,just tell them they are full of CRAP.

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2007 11:31 am    

P.S. I get high as a kite EVERY time I get on a bandstand,It's not the alcohol or drugs,It's the MUSIC,that's my drug.

The Great White North
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2007 1:27 pm    

Charles, I did not intend to indicate that because one plays in drinking establishments that all musicians are drunks.

There are however more than a few musicians and vocalists who will take advantage of the situation and accept more than their share of the free drinks offered. Any musician who is subject to alcoholism or abuse because of booze are a nightmare to deal with when playing in drinking establishments.
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2007 3:24 pm    

I played in many bars(where Doug also worked) where drinks were free at least for me they were. In fact even on nights off If I went to a club the freebies were always there..Some people might have expected I had a drinking problem...No problem at all I found it easy to drink....In fact my favorite drink..was always my next one...Did it effect my music?.I'm sure it did but most of the club owners or promoters were always hell bent to make sure I was never without...I have no regrets its been a great ride...The picture below was taken on Farons bus when we both did a show at the Ben Lea Lounge in South Hadley Mass.This is one great memory and I sure miss the "Sheriff"and his great voice. I'll bet the both of us never remembed it being taken.....If I had to do it all over I'd be more careful driving now.Now if I had any advice for Mindy it would be.."Don't try this at home,were trained professionals" Wink Rolling Eyes I just wish her well shes had a rush of bad luck and bad decisions...
Laughing
erik

Post  Posted 24 Jul 2007 5:16 pm    

[edit]

Last edited by erik on 26 Aug 2007 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2007 5:48 pm    

I think we should all offer a prayer for Mindy. I don't know if she can really sing or not, but I really feel sorry for her.
Rittenberry SD10 , Derby D-10, Quilter TT12, Peavey Session 400 w/ JBL, NV112, Fender Blues Jr. , 1974 Dobro 60N squareneck, Rickenbacher NS lapsteel, 1973 Telecaster Thinline, 1979 blonde/black Frankenstrat
Currently picking with
Mason Dixon Band masondixonband.net
Dayna Wills

Sacramento, CA (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2007 6:00 pm    

I saw Mindy on Oprah, too. This was about the boyfriend who has nearly beaten her to death. He is going to kill her if she doesn't get away from him, but she keeps going back and she was pregnant even AFTER the restraining order. Alcohol is the least of her problems. Ignorant people will say she must like it cause she stays. This kind of thing doesn't happen overnight and women are brainwashed into thinking they CAN'T leave. When they do leave after years abuse, the guy kills them, i.e. O. J. Simpson.
sign me,
Voice of Experience
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 24 Jul 2007 11:15 pm    

Joe, That picture of you and Faron brings back a lot of memories. My band opened a couple of shows for Faron at the Home Club up in the Berkshires about 20 years ago. He was pretty drunk for the second show, but I couldn't tell if that was part of his act... if you know what I mean. What a voice! wow. And You sounded pretty terrific too! Winking
Mark Edwards

Weatherford,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2007 4:30 am    

Some folks can handle it and some can't. Some folks can drink one beer, or smoke one whatever and walk away from it, others can not. Chemical Imbalance.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2007 7:10 am     Who's Mindy McCready?

Who's Mindy McCready? I never heard of her before this post.

Edited to say: After reading the article, I realize that I have heard her hit song.

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2007 8:18 am    

She had three 'top 10' country hits back in the 1990's, one of which went to number 1. Since then a few of her songs have reached number 50 or 60 on the charts, but nothing like her earlier career.

She must have had a rough childhood and family life.
-----------------------------------------------------

* August 5, 2004, McCready was arrested in Tennessee for using a fake prescription to buy the painkiller OxyContin. Although she initially denied the charge, she finally pleaded guilty

* November 29, 2004 and was fined $4,000, sentenced to three years probation, and ordered to perform 200 hours of community service.

* May 6, 2005, McCready was stopped by Nashville police for speeding and then arrested and charged with driving under the influence and driving with a suspended license. She was later released on $3500 bail.

* Two days later, May 8, McCreadyโ€™s ex-boyfriend and aspiring country singer, Billy McKnight, allegedly broke into her house and beat and choked her. He was charged with attempted murder and aggravated burglary.

* July 2005, McCready was charged in Arizona with identity theft, attempted fraudulent scheme and artifices, unlawful imprisonment, hindering prosecution and unlawful use of transportation. Police said she and a man stole a truck and forced a woman to accompany them against her will. McCready's lawyer claimed that she was in the process of helping authorities catch an alleged con artist who had bilked her and 35 other celebrities when the charges were filed.

* The following week, July 22, McCready was found unconscious in a hotel lobby in Indian Rocks Beach, Florida. She was hospitalized due to a drug overdose after washing down a large amount of undisclosed drugs with alcohol. Authorities soon claimed the incident to be a suicide attempt which she eventually confirmed.

* August 10, 2005, an arrest warrant was issued for McCready for violation of her probation when she left Tennessee without permission from her probation officer. McCready was also charged with not reporting to her probation officer during July. She was finally arrested in Florida on August 26 and returned to Tennessee.

* On September 19, 2005 during a court appearance in Tennessee to appeal terms of her bail, she confirmed that the July 22 drug overdose in Florida was a suicide attempt. She added that the attempt came after learning she was pregnant with McKnight's baby.

* Just four days later, on September 23, McCready was again hospitalized after overdosing on antidepressants after arguing with McKnight over their unborn baby.

* July 19, 2006, a jury of 12 found McCready not guilty of driving under the influence, but found her guilty on the charge of driving on a suspended license.

* McCready faces a hearing later in 2006 on charges of violating her probation on a drug charge by failing to check in with her probation officer and leaving the state without permission to go to Florida.

* McCready will be back in Williamson County Circuit Court on September 7, 2007 to face sentencing on her probation violation.

* On July 21, 2007 McCready was arrested in Ft. Myers, Florida. She was charged with battery and resisting arrest.

* On July 23, 2007 McCready was freed on a $1,000 bond.
Les Anderson

The Great White North
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2007 9:08 am    

This girl is very much in need of professional help.
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Jul 2007 11:31 am    

Mindy had her one hit when she was 18.

She was obviously chosen by the 'powers to be' because she was a hot young chick with a decent voice, perfect to deliver a song custom crafted for the lucrative "Chick Power" demographic.

Nothing wrong with that, it's how the business operates.

Some in that position would have capitalized on it, others would have blown the opportunity.

I was once 18.