| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My rig diagram.
James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 10 May 2007 9:26 am    

I've been using this live. It's complicated, but I'm satisfied with the flexibility. I can mix two completely separate signal chains on the fly. Someone needs to make a separate 3D volume pedal like the G9 has.

[/img]
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 May 2007 10:26 am    

I wish I owned stock in a cord company! Wink
Benton Allen

Muscle Shoals, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 13 May 2007 7:54 pm    

Hey James!

Are you the Steel man or the Pyro-Technics guy?

Cheers!
Benton Very Happy
Roger Francis

kokomo,Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2007 5:43 am    

Looks like a job for "DUCT TAPE MAN" Razz You know we're just messin with ya James?
James Mayer

Post  Posted 14 May 2007 7:00 am    

Quote:
I wish I owned stock in a cord company!

Smile Well, several of the chords are 6 inch patches.

I'd love to find a standalone two-way volume pedal like the Zoom has. I'm surprised that no one else has made one that rocks and rotates for a two amp setup or just mixing in an effect loop.

This setup works really well for playing drones and soloing over my own phrase, like a looper. I can kick that two-way pedal out to the right and send a phrase through a long delay and reverb....then pull it back in and use the other amp to solo over the phrase. I can get thunder, crashing waves, etc without interrupting whatever I'm playing on the lead chain.

I've been experimenting with accenting certain notes with effects. In the middle of a clean steel solo, I'll fade in the effects chain(usually subtle) just for a second to emphasize an important note. It's a lot to think about while playing but it just takes practice like everything else. Even more complicated is using all of the above, activating the sustainer built into my steel, and riding the harmonics knob with my pinky. [/quote]
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 15 May 2007 10:33 am    

James, maybe too complicated for me but: I admire your ingenuity putting this rig together and maybe more your ability to use the various functions in real time. I can see some of the numerous possibilities available to you and as I always say "Whatever Works for You".

Looks good to me! Smile
Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2007 9:19 pm    

When are you playing in Portland? I gotta see this rig in action...
Bryan
James Mayer

Post  Posted 16 May 2007 6:56 am    

Bryan, we just played last Friday at The 9 Muses which was technically disastrous. They need a sound guy/girl, bad. Feedback all night.

Other than that, we've got a bunch of shows in Seattle, Port Townsend, Olympia, etc. The only thing I can find, on my calendar, that's in Portland is the White Eagle on Aug 15 and a private party in two weeks honoring the Aerial Tram committee($$$).

Really, I'm probably underusing the features of this rig when performing. You'll be disappointed if you show up hoping to hear some craziness. I'm trying to keep all the ideas subtle and musical. Everything I've thought of trying has worked. It doesn't have a lot of limitations. The only thing lacking is some of the tones that I would like to achieve. I like the tone I am getting but there are some tones that I hear on recordings that I just can't get close to.

For example, this tone:
http://funkychurch.com/images/stories/music/WichitaLineman.mp3

Must I get a Stringmaster to get that tone?
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 16 May 2007 7:53 am    

Quote:
Must I get a Stringmaster to get that tone?

I tried to get a classic 'Stringmaster' tone for a long time, EQ, etc... finally gave up and bought one (rather painful these days btw) and voila!.. There's some sort of Mojo going on with a Stringmaster that's hard to recreate.
James Mayer

Post  Posted 16 May 2007 8:00 am    

Do you think the single neck version, the Deluxe, will have the same mojo? I really like playing with the steel on my lap
James Mayer

Post  Posted 16 May 2007 8:08 am    

I'm wondering if the double neck version is too much to have in my lap? They seem to go much cheaper when the legs are missing.
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 16 May 2007 1:13 pm    

I played my D8 in my lap a lot when I first got it. It had some home-made legs that were really wobbly, so I just chunked 'em and ordered new ones. It worked ok for for me as long as the seat was short enough that it didn't want to slide off my lap.. shorter than a typical pack seat.

I dunno about the single neck, but I don't see why it wouldn't sound the same, or pretty close... That said, two tunings is really nice to have.
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2007 3:30 pm    

hey james i just tried t email you and for some weird reason it sent the email to my own email account....

i was just wondering when you'll be in seattle, what venue, and what the name of the band is. Im down and out with a back injury and not too mobile right now but maybe i can come see you guys play in the future and check out your rig once im able to stand for more than 20 inutes at a time. Cheers.
James Mayer

Post  Posted 17 May 2007 12:41 pm    

Ben, all out-of-town dates are pending at the moment. I'll try to remember to let you know once I have more details.

The name of the band is The Subcons. Basically a melodic rock-band with lyrics about dreaming and such(Subcons = Subconscious). They wanted to get weird so they brought me in to be the multi-instrumentalist. It's my first rock band. Since I started playing, I've had a world music bent(oud, flamenco guitar, cumbus). The steel guitar started out as a cheap and easy way to fill our need for a bowed instrument in the group. They some melodies worked out wanted to find a cellist to play them. I talked them into letting me try an ebow on steel.