| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  rWeber 6A80 amplifier
Jim Sampson

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2007 9:31 am    

Does anyone have any experience with the Weber 6A80 amplifier kit ? I am thinking about building one with two 12" speakers. The circuitry is almost identical to the Fender Twin and I am a retired technician and would almost pay them to let me build one. Jim Sampson
Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 17 May 2007 1:47 pm    

I don't have experience with that particular kit, but have used the 6M45 (Marshall JTM45) kit and it worked out well. Worth the money.
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100
Dave Sharp

Bloomington, Indiana
Post  Posted 17 May 2007 6:35 pm    

Hi Jim,

I haven’t built any of the Weber kits but I have used their parts (caps, resistors, pots, transformers, cabinets, speakers…) in other amps that I’ve built and worked on. I’ve been real happy with the quality and with their service. It sounds like you want to build this amp—I’d say go for it!
Roman Sonnleitner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 18 May 2007 1:58 pm    

I'm right in the process of finishing one of their 6M45 kits, and while their prices and customer service are great, there are also a few points that show that these are budget kits:
The stock switches, pots and jacks aren't great and should be upgraded (eg. to Carling switches, Cliff or Switchcraft jacks, and CTS or Alpha post - yes, even Alpha pots are higher quality than the stock ones).
And there are a few small mechanical issues - mounting holes missing in the chassis (but since it's aluminium, it is easy to drill), problems with dimensions (on my 6m45 I had to cut off a piece fromm the main board, because otherwise the standing filter-cap board wouldn't fit inside the chassis), etc.
But nothing that can't be worked out with a little bit of practical thinking (and some help from the Weber online forum).
John Groover McDuffie

LA California, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2007 6:11 pm     Weber kits

Hey Jim; There are a few kits I have been interested in on the Weber site. How much would you pay me to let you build me one?
8~)
Jim Sampson

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2007 2:11 pm     Weber amp kit

Hi John: I said I would almost pay to build one. It's a lot of work but i enjoy it. I will build any kit you want for free, just have it shipped to me and pay the shipping from my house to yours when I'm done. Jim Sampson