| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My "New" Emmons P/P D12
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2007 4:03 pm    

I thought I would share with you guys a project guitar I started, about 4 months ago. I bought this 75 D12 here on the forum. I was just so bowled over at the way it turned out I wanted to post a few pics for you P/P fans. Serial # 143D12BGE, is now 8+6 and sounds INCREDIBLE. Thanks to Albert Johnson in Tallahassee FL for an outstanding job on the refurb...A real master crafstman!

Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2007 7:37 pm    

Beautiful, Mickey - but I have to ask: how much does it weigh!!!?

RR
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2007 6:02 am    

I know this has got to be a tone machine. Congrats on a great D-12, Mickey!
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2007 10:59 am     The Weight!

In the case was 76lbs. That being said, the capacity of the forklift I use to move it around is around 5000lbs! Its a bit heavy I have to admit......But the TONE is about the size of Texas!
Next month I will have pics of an outstanding 74 Fatback I purchased which was in mint condition. I have sent it to Albert to be refurbished as well as add a few levers...Thanks for the replies guys!.

Mickey Adams
Chief Pilot
Ahern Rentals
Las Vegas NV[/u]
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Bill Simmons

Keller, Texas/Birmingham, AL, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2007 12:09 pm    

Hi Mickey...I love Emmons p/p! Played them for most of my life...your looks very nice and I'm sure it sounds even better! Wish we had more time to visit during the Alabama show...when you come back to Birmingham, we'll get our super rich friend -- Tim Bridges -- to take us out for steak! By the way, really enjoyed your steel and electric playing.
=====================================================
Bill Simmons
Rains Steel Guitar Rep
Tim Bridges

Hoover, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2007 1:50 pm    

Ah yes; rich I am!!! I am a man with many friends and blessings. I will be glad to cook you to pals a steak and then make the cats cry when we crank up the steels. Bill, Mickey is planning on coming back for an official jam with the band out at a good honky tonk! I'll let you know when it happens. We could all play some steel and blow Birminghams mind!!

Laughing

Bill, I'm really diggin this Rains. The pu's I had Jerry Wallace wind are perfect; 20.5 kohm E9th and 21.5 kohm C6th. It's a friggin' tone monster. Exclamation

Yep, that ol' Mickey has always got some great axes, gear and chops!
Bill Simmons

Keller, Texas/Birmingham, AL, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2007 2:10 pm    

Hey Tim...I need to come by and hear your new Rains...Please let me know about Mickey coming and would love to jam with you all!! Now remember you committed to steaks and now Mikey needs to bring that great sounding Emmons p/p!! I'll call you tomorrow to see when a good time to come by sometime to hear your Rains Steel...
David Mullis

Rock Hill, SC
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2007 3:11 pm    

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2007 3:30 pm     You Guys!

I never blush....(eyeroll).....Thanks for the compliments guys, cant wait to see you gents and play some music........Ill bring ONE of my P/Ps fer sure...
Tim Bridges

Hoover, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2007 2:49 am     I'll Pay The Shipping

Mickey, I'll pay for the cost of getting the PP to B'ham; BUT, it's a one way ticket. No return home for the PP!!!

We've been discussing renting the Vestavia Lodge and having several bands play and do BBQ on a big smoker. If we can coordinate the event when your in town, we could have a real hoot!

Yep, I knew I would get a nice PP one day; now it's gonna happen! Very Happy
Gerald Menke

Stormville NY, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2007 8:23 am    

Wow, what a beautiful steel. Brings to mind that line from Winnie's book about a D-12 being enough to keep a person busy for two lifetimes. Enjoy, man!

Is the E9 neck (if that is in fact what it is) an extended E9 or something else?

I played a black D-12 like this once, and the tone was indeed out of this world. I felt like the highest string on the front neck was in the next room!
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2007 11:30 am     Copedent and Other stuff

The E9 is extended. Strings 9 and 10 are G#,E.
On the C6th extended 1,2 of D,F. I have since disconnected the collars for the Franklin pedal on the E9th due to the stiffness issue for the C6th. It was playable of course but for now I need the playability while I "relearn" my pick positions. It is such a visual change to acclimate to. The string spacing is a little tighter compared to my other Emmons PP D10. However, I am practicing about 4 hours a day (when im not flying). The copedent is basically Emmons. RKL raises 1,2 drops 6. I actually have a half-stop I can physically feel on the RKR which is really hard to hit on my Mullen. Right now I am playing the guitar through 2 1981 Mesa Boogie MKII Simulclass tube amps with 15" EV's in stereo...(jealous yet?) And my forklift is due for servicing...Cant wait for my D10 to come back! Thanks for all the interest.....Mickey
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2007 11:33 am     Oh Yeah. Tim

I checked on the one way ticket price for the PSG with Delta...its around 5500.00....If you would like to prepay....LOL
Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2007 12:22 pm    

My Ext E9th SD-12PP started life as a D-12 and since all that C6th weight is gone, I only need two small boys and a mule to move mine! LOL

MSA Legend SD12 5/5 -06'
Mullen S-12 4/5 - 1986
Nashville 112 x2 W/Knob Guards - Don't leave home with out one!
Walker SS rack system - 12"BW's
Quilter Steelaire Combo
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2007 1:07 pm     Wow

Looks like it was a carbon copy of mine at one time. Mine still has the original pickups in it. And I have changed the large Kluson buttertfly tuners to the smaller buttons. What year was yours manufactured? Lashley cant find the records for mine. Stamped in the changer next to the serial# mine says CUST BUILT FOR BG EMMONS. I sent pictures to Buddy and he replied that the guitar was not built for him, although he asked me what the asking price was!...I was thinking it may have been refininshed at some point...But who knows?...too many years gone by I guess....Buddy's only D12, he said had a basket weave front and a wood grained top....Must have been a beauty huh?
Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2007 1:28 pm    

"String-Zilla" as I lovely call my SD-12PP is next in line for a True Tone 12-1. I recently got one for my SD-12 MSA Legend and I'm really happy with the sound I'm getting out of it.
JE:-)>
Charlie Paterno

Westerly, Rhode Island, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2007 2:44 pm    

Mickey' Something I never noticed before but it looks like Emmons drilled the pedal spacing the same for 10 and 12 string from the endplate. Pedal eight is under fret12. Do you feel the difference?
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2007 7:38 pm     Pedal Eight

Pedal eights rod is lined up with fret 13 and the pedal is about dead even with 14....Your thoughts on differences?
Tim Bridges

Hoover, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2007 3:27 am     PP One Way Ticket Price

Mickey,

I found a Southwest Airlines ticket, direct flight from Vegas to Birmingham...$387.00. It was such a good deal I went ahead and bought the non-refundable ticket. I didn't think to get you one...just for the PP; 1st Class!!! I heard the pilot on this leg is a steel player who is putting it in the copilots chair. Nice when your special.

Anyway, the ticket is good anytime, so feel free to book it ASAP. If you can't make it for a few months, that's OK.

Anyway, Thanks again. That guitar will sound better amongst the pine trees anyway.

Your friend (lookin' out for you), Tim Laughing
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2007 6:57 am    

I have a D-12 p/p, sn 119, that is lacquer with metal necks
and a S-12 p/p, sn 158, that is rosewood mica with metal necks. Very Happy

Here's the S-12:

Last edited by Erv Niehaus on 1 Apr 2007 6:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2007 7:40 am     Can We See

Can you post some pics of your Emmons for us?...Always happy to see another great guitar!
Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2007 7:50 am    

Erv, my SD-12 is Ser#100STD12, and since it started out as a D-12, it's pretty close to yours. Do you know what year yours is? I'm guess-t-mating mine as being around 71'-73' from searching old posts. But who knows how many D-12's were built per year.
JE:-)>
MSA Legend SD12 5/5 -06'
Mullen S-12 4/5 - 1986
Nashville 112 x2 W/Knob Guards - Don't leave home with out one!
Walker SS rack system - 12"BW's
Quilter Steelaire Combo
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2007 8:23 am    

To my knowledge, no one has come up with a list of serial numbers, and their respective years of manufacture, for the 12 string p/p's. It would be nice if someone did.
I can post some pictures but for some reason they're kind of "fuzzy". I guess it's time to invest in a new digital camera. Very Happy
Chick Donner

North Ridgeville, OH USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2007 7:19 pm    

I've got 116D, a black lacquer, and 127D, a rosewood mica. Both are metal necks. The rosewood is a cutaway. They APPEAR to be about a '69 and a '75 respectively, but who knows? Here's the lacquer.
Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2007 9:42 pm     Wow

Chick that is one gorgeous looking guitar!......Send some of the other one if you get time please....Mickey