| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Will trade: Carter Starter
Jim Sampson

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2007 9:43 am    

Will trade almost new Carter Starter package for 6 string Pedal Steel. The Carter starter is in perfect condition and works fine, I am a converted 6 string guitar player and prefer 6 strings. Jim Sampson
David Biggers

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2007 10:06 am    

Hey Jim
Go to musicians friends web site and buy you a $200.00 Morrel 6 string and I am sure you will sell your carter starter in about 3 minutes here on the forum for about $500.00 or so.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Morrell-MLS-6String-Lap-Steel?sku=511860

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Morrell-Joe-Morrell-Pro-6String-Lap-Steel?sku=511861
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2007 10:29 am    

He is wanting a 6 string PEDAL guitar not a 6 string lap guitar.

You need to either have Jim Flynn of Lone Star guitars make you his S6 pedal guitar or sell your Carter Starter and buy you a good S10 and take some strings off and set it up for 6 strings. The Carter Stater is all welded up and you can't change anything. Any other good quality pedal steel will let you change the mechanics around for 6 strings.
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 2 May 2007 10:34 am    

The Multi-Kord has 6 strings and 6 pedals, no knee levers. They often turn up on eBay.
Jim Sampson

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2007 11:44 am    

Alan, Sounds like you have got the right idea. I want lots of pedals and I don't like levers. The Multi-Kord sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. I am familiar with the lone star 6 lite but I don't like the tuning keys mounted at a 45 degree angle from the body. Jim Sampson
Al Szwarc

Metuchen, New Jersey, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 May 2007 1:45 pm     Instant 6 string pedal

Yey Jim: You already have what you need without having it custom made. And you will have the option to expand back to 10 strings in the future when you decide 6 strings isn't enough. Just pull 4 strings off that Carter Starter. You will have a modern guitar and mechanism and as I said, the option to go back to 10 strings. And further, I'm fairly certain you will want to expand your instrument as your proficiency grows. 10 strings didn't happen over night. It grew from the desire to expand the sounds of the instrument. Its worth a shot and costs nothing. Good luck. Al
Jim Walker

Headland, AL
Post  Posted 2 May 2007 2:11 pm    

Al, problem is the setup on the Carter Starter can't be changed. Who knows what set up a person would want on a 6 string pedal guitar.

Jim, may I ask what it is you plan to do with such an instrument? It just doesn't make much sense to me. I take it you're just a hobbiest?

I have been playing lead guitar for 20 years, I took up Pedal Steel 16 months ago as an investment in my future. I wanted to make more money and it's working!

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2007 4:03 pm    

Al, I have played lead guitar for over 40 years with many bands. I don't play professionally any more because of health reasons. I have noticed since I joined the forum that everyone seems to have different opinions and preferrences and I am no different. I want a 6 string pedal because it is what I like and prefer. Jim Sampson
Jim Sampson

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2007 4:06 pm    

Al, Im sorry my last post was for Jim. Jim Sampson
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2007 4:25 pm    

If you don't like the way Jim angles the keyhead then you can have him build you a keyless guitar. That is what mine is.

To compare a multikord with the instrument Jim makes is like comparing a model T to a spaceship.
The multikord offers terrible footpedals and inferior string raise/lower potential. You are a thousand times better off with what you have in the Carter starter than with one of those.
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 2 May 2007 9:56 pm    

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=108781

There's a Multi-Kord for sale right now on the Forum.