| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mental picture. Not just the visual one.
Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2007 12:28 am    

A lot of time can be spent on practising scales, patternes, note reading. I wonder if we are paying enough attention to the sound of the different notes so we connect the sound w a visual position in our mental mind or is it more than enough to concentrate on the positions, patterns by themself. Perfect practise makes perfect. Knowing what sound will be produced before you pick the string is the goal which means you need to connect the positions with the sound of the note in the mental mind (and also understand how the positions move when you press pedals/levers)
Then make sure to listen to what the notes sound in relation to another chord(instrument)
If we are just memorizing patterns there will be just patterns and not much music.
I wish I knew earlier what I know now Rolling Eyes ?

Bengt Erik Erlandsen
Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2007 6:51 am    

The ability to do pure improvisation, vs. a memorized solo or backup, is accomplished by having the ability to know what the sound of the next fret up will produce. The practice of various scales will help to develope this ability, but one must venture beyond the scale practice. One method is to hum a riff and then work out the sound/notes on your fret board. (do this a few hundred times)!
Stan Paxton

1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2007 9:44 am    

Bengt, a great player once said, in my presence, that he does no longer do traditional practice. He does it all visualizing in his mind, and practices all the time when not thinking of other things. Probably one of the most spontaneous players I ever heard. I guess that's what you are talking about. I'm not near that stage yet. Exclamation