| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gene Watson Trivia?
David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2007 4:16 pm    

I am unable to find the credits listed for Gene's "Back in the Fire" album from 1989. Who was the steeler and anyone know if Randy Travis wrote the song "Great Divide?" Seems I heard he did...but it is my favorite "Gene Song"

While we are in the Gene Watson trivia mode, both Lloyd Green and Sonny Garrish are listed in the credits on another particular album. Which of these great players played on the cut "Should I come home or should I go crazy?" Those licks are perfect to say the least!
Thanks,
Dave
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2007 8:48 am    

Hi David,

Sonny Garrish played on the "Back In The Fire" album, he also played all tracks on the "Should I Come Home" album, with one exception: Lloyd Green played on "Bedroom Ballad".

Kind Regards, Walter

Post  Posted 26 Apr 2007 6:05 pm    

Walter, thanks for the info. I know if anyone would know, you would!

I am a big Gene Watson fan and enjoy listening to his older recordings with all of the steel! Corky does a great job keeping the original sound of these old songs during live performances.
Dave
Eric Corgey

Texas, Friendswood
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2007 7:32 pm     Gene Watson

Hey David,

I've always liked Gene Watson's music also, maybe you can help me with something. Did Mr. Watson ever do a tune called "Carmen"?

"Oh, Carmen, I've had too much tequila
between you and this Mexican moon I'm gonna fall."

Do you remember that tune? I thought that Gene did it, but have never been able to find it on any of his albums that I've seen. Thanks
David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 27 Apr 2007 8:13 pm    

Hey Eric, I really like that Friendswood area. My wife has family in Pearland & Alvin. Thought about taking a trip that way this weekend, but 45 South is suppose to be closed all weekend Sad

Might this be the lyrics?

Chorus:
Oh Carmen, I had too much tequila
Between you and this Mexican moon I’m gonna fall
El Paso lady, you’re driving me crazy
In a language I don’t understand, you said it all.

Dusty old Juarez on the old Rio Grande
It’s sure is handy when you need a friend
I don’t belong here, your dark eyes keep warning
I’ll leave in the morning but for now please let me in.

Chorus:

--- Instrumental ---

Crossing over the border, stepping over the line
Drunk on yesterdays wine and still feeling the flame
The guitars keep playing a song that I’ve never heard
Without saying a word, you keep calling out my name.

Chorus:

In a language I don’t understand, you said it all...

I can't find where it was ever released on a CD. In fact, I found several mentions that is was not.

I checked on Ares and see there are a number of listing that have been uploaded. I did not try to see if any are the correct version tho. Hope this helps and enjoy your weekend!
Dave
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2007 12:48 am    

Hi Eric and David,

I just started a new page on my website, putting on soundclips of tracks that are mentioned/discussed on the Forum, so everybody can give a listen. Gene Watson's "Carmen" is on now:

http://www.lloydgreentribute.com/AustrianSteelguitar/Forum.htm

Hope the link works that way. Enjoy the music!

Kind Regards, Walter

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2007 10:33 am    

Oh, forgot to mention: It is on the "Memories To Burn" album...

Kind Regards, Walter

Texas, Friendswood
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2007 4:48 pm    

David and Walter,
Thanks alot guys. My wife and I used to hear this tune occasionally on the radio, but it seemed liked they stopped playing it all of the sudden and I couldn't figure out why or even seem to get a copy of it. Now maybe I can find it. I thought it was one of his best tunes. Thanks again.
Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2007 8:12 pm    

Eric:

You should visit the Alvin Opry House some weekend. There are three former members of Gene's, Farewell Party Band that are now members of the Alvin staff band. Two of which; Tony Booth, bass and Norm Cass, guitar, who like myself played on "Carmen." Tony and his brother, Larry, also a former member of Gene's band alternate the bass duties every other weekend. Check it out.

Do you know Tommy Alexander who also lives in Friendswood?? He's a long-time buddy of mine an a great guy. You see, when I worked for Gene in the 70s and 80s I lived in your area, Alvin and then Iowa Colony.

Hi Walter. I hope you are well my friend. As always, you're right on the money with who played what and when. Give my best to "The Man", LG.

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" Olson
David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 28 Apr 2007 9:15 pm    

Walter, as usual you have done another great service to our community! After hearing Gene's song "Carmen" I now remember the song. Been years since I have heard it though and it is in fact a great song.

Eric thanks for bringing up the question!

Tiny, what an exciting time it must have been to play with one of the greatest singers and some of the best players in the industry.

One thing about Gene, he sounds as great if not even better than in his younger days. Time only seems to have enhanced his talents rather than take its toll.
Dave
Eric Corgey

Texas, Friendswood
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2007 11:16 am    

Tiny,
Cool info...believe it or not I played for a while in the house band at the Alvin Opry in the early nineties. Tony came in about the time I quit. I remember the look on his face when I asked him to autograph an LP of his from the early 70s. Laughing He still sings really well. I dont know Mr. Alexander (I don't think) but have been thinking about looking him up. Couldn't be hard to do in this town. OK another question. Are Gene Watson and Dale Watson related? Someone told me they are father and son. Both great singers. I saw Dale at Blanco's in Houston about a month ago. Great show and he sings for about 3 hours with no breaks.
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2007 4:58 pm    

My friend Dave Kirby wrote Memories to burn. He also another song for Watson called Foever Again. I would like a copy of tht song if anyone has one.

George Rout

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2007 5:06 pm     Gene Watson - "Cowboys Don't Get Lucky All The time&quo

He folks and thanks for all the good stuff about Gene Watson. I have always been a big fan of Gene's, and the steel work is always top notch.

Coincidentally, a friend send me an MP3 of Cowboys's Don't Get Lucky All The Time". Can someone tell me what album that's on and who are the musicians please.

Hey Walter, keep up the excellent work. People like you not only make this thing work, they make it work better.

George
David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 29 Apr 2007 5:25 pm    

George, that is another favorite song of mine as well. Lloyd does some amazing playing on that song. It was released in 1977 and here is a link to the info you need:

http://www.lpdiscography.com/w/Watsong/watson_beautiful.htm

Dave
George Rout

St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2007 5:52 pm     Gene Watson - Cowboys Don't Get Luck........................

Thanks David for that. Great stuff, and no wonder, the great musicians on it. I appreciate you help.
George
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2007 11:40 pm    

Good Morning!

Both tracks ("Cowboys Don't Get Lucky..." and "Forever Again") added for listening:

Enjoy!

Kind Regards, Walter

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2007 9:32 am     The Great Divide

Hi,

The Great Divide was written by Randy Travis and myself. We co-wrote many songs during that time. Thanks for liking it. It's hard to beat Gene Watson.

John

PS: You can buy "Back in The Fire" at CMT.com
David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 30 Apr 2007 7:20 pm    

John, my sincerest regards to you and Randy's amazing talent for writing, in my opinion, one of the greatest songs ever recorded.

It was one of those songs that Gene's amazing talent was called upon. I can't imagine that song being recorded by anyone else with the same feeling. It was the perfect combination and that song has a very special place in my heart for some deeply rooted personal trials of life. It was a tough time in my life during that year and that song seemed to say exactly what I was feeling!

Thanks for the info and I would certainly like an email from you with a list of other songs that Randy and yourself have collaborated on. Randy is another favorite artist of mine and I credit him with restoring the "classic country" sound in the mid 80's. The release of "Storms of Life" also holds a special place in my heart. I know every word to every song on that CD.

Welcome to the forum!
Dave
Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 1 May 2007 8:37 am    

Eric: Gene is no relation to Dale Watson, Gene's father's name was Ted Watson, a cool guy who was in himself a country song.

Bill: You're on the money with Dave Kirby writing those songs. In fact, I was fortunate to play on those recordings and Dave played accoustic guitar on them. Dave was a really cool and funny cat !!!

Sincerely,
Chris "Tiny" Olson
John Lindley

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2007 11:08 am     Gene and dale

Hi,

Tiny is right....Gene and Dale are not "kinfolk". For many years I wanted to hear Gene sing one of my songs. "The Great Divide" was, for me, as good as country gets. Not because of the song, but because there is a man like Gene Watson who has the ability to "hear and feel" the words of a songwriter. In my opinion, there is no better country voice. Forgive me, Randy, but I know you agree...I have written, as a ghost writer , for many a country singer. I traveled through the 80's with Randy and Lib, and we played shows with the best in the world. Vern, Gene, George, and Randy, have set the bar for the industry. There are many "good" singers on the market today, but there are only a few "great" ones. I realize that there are many more to come...God bless them all. Long live, "Real Country Music."
John Jeffries

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 2 May 2007 1:03 pm    

You can watch live performances of Gene Watson (including "Carmen") on the "you tube vidios" website!
Great stuff!!
Cheers, J.J.
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2007 7:32 pm    

Walter Stettner wrote:
Good Morning!

Both tracks ("Cowboys Don't Get Lucky..." and "Forever Again") added for listening:

Enjoy!

Kind Regards, Walter
Thanks Walter, Thats the first time I've heard anyone other than Dave do this song. Good song.
Gary C. Dygert

Frankfort, NY, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2007 12:21 pm    

I have to revive this post from April. I just heard "Farewell Party" again on the way to work this morning. I still get chills every time I hear the voice and the steel. This is country!
Thomas Stanley

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2007 7:34 pm     Another GW question ....

Does anyone remember the name of his touring lead guitarist in the 70s? If I remember correctly his first name was Tim. I would like to try to get in touch with him. Thanks Tom S.