| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  WOW, I stink!!!
William Matthews

New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2007 3:42 pm    

I realized after sitting behind my new Fessy for the last little while, that I REALLY STINK. I am aware that it going to take a long time to get good, but I just hope it's not too long until I don't stink so bad as to drive my family out of the house. Strangely, I have more determination then ever now. I am starting from less than zero, so I guess it is to be expected, but I do have a good starting point.. the Jeff Newman courses. I am finding things in the videos that I know I would have done wrong if I had taught myself. I just have to pay atention, and do it " his way " and get over what feels comfortable for me. With Jeff's videos and my new found determination, I shouldn't stink for too long.. I hope Embarassed
Jerry L Miller

Sublette, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2007 3:59 pm    

Very Happy we all started some where. i started on double 8 rickenbacher. talk about causing the dogs to howl.
so Newman courses and some of his play along with cd's, be patient you'll make it
jerry Very Happy
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 May 2007 4:14 pm     Hey William!

Either YOU give up too easily......or you're expecting far more than you should. WHO said learning to play a steel guitar was "EASY"?

Some of us older guys here on the Forum were playing BEFORE pedal steels came into fashion. We struggled; then switched to pedal models; and after 40 or 50 years are still struggling.

To learn to play the steel and do it right, is a life time project and if anyone told you otherwise, they're guilty of gross representation. JERRY BYRD once stated: "When you reach a level of satisfaction in your playing that you're happy with, you likely will never improve beyond that point."

Just keep at it, and notice your little signs of progress as they might occur and be grateful for them.

Good Luck to you!
Joe Butcher

Dallas,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2007 4:21 pm    

Newmans "Up From The Top" series is great for begginers. Keep practicing and dont give up!!!
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2007 4:39 pm    

William, you just think you stink, you haven't heard me, but know what ? I don't care because I'm having fun.
If playing that Fessy isn't fun you'd better sell it.Ha Ha. I think I'll start a new show. Call (The International Stinky Steel Convention). I'm sure it would be very popular.
John Coffman

Wharton,Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2007 4:51 pm    

Hang in there Will. Jeffs stuff will help you with many skills. I did not have any music training so I started at the bottom. My approach is watch the video at little at a time. Where he lets you try yourself work on it till master all the material and move on. The trick is mastering. When I can play the material well. Not prefect but without mistakes. Just never give up! If it was easy everyone would do it. Best of luck

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 6 May 2007 5:36 pm    

Quote:
To learn to play the steel and do it right, is a life time project and if anyone told you otherwise, they're guilty of gross representation.

Ray, with all due respect, and I mean that, this is too over the top. I agree that to continually improve one's playing is a lifetime goal, which it is on ANY instrument. But as far as playing a steel "right", there are any number of people who after a few years have sounded good on the instrument, and IMO, spending a couple of years to do a credible job is certainly something that can be accomplished by a dedicated and talented musician.

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 May 2007 5:50 pm     Just disregard my comments.........

I've only a met a couple of fellows during all of these years that felt they had a handle on all there is to know and master. You had only to ask them and they'd tell you how great they are!

THINKING oneself is great, is NOT THE SAME as being GREAT! It's sorta like believing all your Hollywood press agent puts into the media about you..... Once you start believing it........you're doomed, they say.

There's not a day, that I sit down to play, that I don't learn something totally new, that had been there all of these years. The element of DISCOVERY!

I'm sure there are a few bright, talented fellows that can put the rest of us to shame after only a few weeks of self taught instruction while for others, it might take what seems like a lifetime.....perhaps, a year or two? Again, some of use KNOW what the difference is while some others have yet to discover it.
Dave Todd

Jonestown, Tx.
Post  Posted 6 May 2007 6:50 pm    

Having not gotten started yet, theads like this says there still hope Shocked

Dave
Jim Walker

Headland, AL
Post  Posted 6 May 2007 7:32 pm    

Yes There is hope. I started on psg 16 months ago and now I'm out playing with bands every weekend and getting paid for it!

JW

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 May 2007 7:53 pm    

William, just remember that even the great players had a starting point, and played worse than you at one time, and knew less than you do now. EVERYBODY starts at zero and moves forward. Put some time and practice behind you, and your playing will sweeten up just fine. Wink
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 May 2007 8:16 pm    

Will, two things : patience and practice. a good teacher would be a plus. Jody.
Gregg Thacker

Pasadena, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2007 9:38 pm    

William...Like Bill dobkins said,"You think you stink...You haven't heard me". William, you heard me either. Laughing Anything that you can get from Jeff Newman that you do not already have is well worth the investment!!!! Like a fellow forumite suggested, Jeff Newman's "Up From The Top" (I wish that I could afford it) is a must!!! Alot of good info given about that course. I purchased Steel Guitar 101 and I purchased Jeff's "Give Me An Intro". I also have downloaded alot of songs from a website and transfered tham to CD and play along with those. This seems to help me. I wish that I could afford som formal instruction. I need that desperately. One of these days. In the meantime I watch the Instructional DVD's and practice with the play along tracks. Stick with it...Practiice religiously (sp)...You WILL suceed!!!

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 7 May 2007 3:48 am    

we all stink, theres just a few different levels of STINK...

I'm working my way up to moderately advanced STINK

tp
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 7 May 2007 3:56 am    

Dig it, Tony.

I'm reminded of the great initial success I experienced on pedal steel. If you know nothing, your first attempts are great.
Then you see how bad you stink.
No way but up from there on the old stink-ometer.

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 7 May 2007 4:22 am    

I cannot imagine what it would be like to sit down to a 10 string with pedals, with no "steel" experience at all. I had years of 6 string lap steel time before I got to try an SD-10. I was still totally blown away flabbergasted...
Take it one step at a time...
Joe Butcher

Dallas,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2007 5:22 am    

hey Gregg,

I dont see why guys like us who are in the "intermediate" stages of our playing shouldnt get together and exchange ideas.
If there were say 3-5 of us who got together somwhere and just kind of traded licks. It would be like free lessons.
Im in Dallas.
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 May 2007 8:36 am    

Hey Joe, That's a great idea. In fact, we have actually forned a small club that is VERY "entry level" friendly, on up to some super pickers. Everyone is very helpful and happy to share with us who are struggling. We have a free seminar each month, and then a jam session. You, and anyone else is welcome to come join the fun.
This month of May, we ARE shut down, as most of us are going to be supporting the Tulsa show. But after that, it's the last Saturday of each month. I'd suggest forming a small club in your area. It's a blast, and you can always learn alot! Check out our website at www.copsgc.com William you have a couple nice steel clubs in your area---a great thing is to join them and get involved. Wink
Nic du Toit

Milnerton, Cape, South Africa
Post  Posted 7 May 2007 9:39 am    

I think the biggest temptation to resist is our tendency to want to (quickly) sound like our heroes.......so, instead of spending enough time getting the most common basics under the knee (however boring that may be...), we want to jump from point zero to somewhere a few rungs up......not a good idea.
Spending enough time getting to know the basics well, make the rest a bit easier.
Just hang in there, and continue slogging away ! Very Happy
Regards,
Randy Gilliam

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2007 1:01 pm     Stink

Love for the Instrument Hard work determination Will Pay off. I Have Been Shot in the Head, Stiff right index Finger,Know Nothing about Music Except I Love it. I Play 3 To 4 times a Week. When I Hear a Good ride It sounds like Gold too me . Just thankfull The lord Has given Me anouther day To Play and also Enjoy My Family . Randy.
Dennis Schell

Shingletown, Shasta county, Kalifornia
Post  Posted 7 May 2007 1:36 pm     I'M biggest stinker!

Hey, I believe that moi holds the "stink record"!!!

However, I picked up a new copy of Winnie Winston's "Pedal Steel Guitar" (RIP amigo) and am hard at work on "Red River Valley" again! Laughing

Dennis

PS My old misplaced copy had a plastic "record", the "new improved version" has a CD! Wink

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2007 1:55 pm    

I have not yet begun to stink!!!
Bob Hickish

Port Ludlow, Washington, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 May 2007 2:49 pm    

William
This is the best Forum in the world ! Here we have self therapy
for the darkest corners of our minds ! I have been a beginner more
times than I want to admit ! and know what your feeling ! what's
even worse is guys like me that take money to play in front of people ,
Knowing your a phony ! a complete fake ! in the steel world . there is
something about this instrument that wont let you quit , Even if you
walk away from it ! it will follow you like the plague , calling you every
thing from , Chicken ! to down right lazy ! for not sticking to it . So !
with this information ! Its hell if you do ! & even worse if you don't .

Keep pick'n Will

Hick
William Matthews

New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2007 7:15 pm    

Well, I think I know what 80% of the problem is.. I CANNOT seem to get used to the fingerpicks. If I use the Jeff Newman hand placement/finger angle, the fingerpicks keep hanging up on each other. Pretty much tangled up. Any tips?
Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2007 7:30 pm    

It's a good idea to try out a method like Jeff Newman's, but there are others to consider. For example, Joe Wright teaches a very different right hand position than Jeff Newman.

Ultimately, you should do what feels the most natural.