| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  steel on a plane
Ben Hoare

NSW Australia
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2007 7:24 pm    

Hi Im new to the forum and a relatively inexperienced steel player and most of my gigging work has been by road travel.But recently I am starting to have to travel by plane to get to and from shows.I have a nice Franklin D10 which I love and a good solid franklin flight/roadcase and try and pack my steel firmly.But have noticed that when I get to the other end my tuning rods get quite loose and it takes some maintenence to get up and running.I dont know if this mostly due to temperature change or just rough handling by the airline staff.As I wish to keep my steel in good order does anybody have any tips they can share about transporting your steel the best and safest way to transport your steel on a plane.thanks for any help.

Last edited by Ben Hoare on 18 Nov 2007 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Colm Chomicky

Kansas, (Prairie Village)
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2007 8:55 pm    

There have been some reports by forum members where luggage inspectors remove the steel from the case to examine. One method of choice is to grab the steel by the rods and pull out of the case. Some members have placed illustrations and notes inside the case to explain the delicate nature of this mechanical system.

I think with some ingenuity it should be posible to cut a clear polycarbonate sheet (Lexan or equilvalent) and have short studs that mount into the leg sockets to hold the sheet in place, hand holds could be cut in the sheet to lift, but the rods would be protected.

PS polycarbonate looks like plexiglass, but is much much stronger. plexiglass will crack but you can beat on polycarbonate with a hammer.
John Kingsley

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2007 9:26 pm    

I have gotten away with carrying a single neck on the plane before. If you walk up to the ticket counter with it, the agents usually won't weigh it and charge you the money, cause i'm pretty sure it's over the weight. But you have to be really careful about getting it in and out of the overhead bins so you dont whack anybody. I'm not sure if a double neck would fit in the bins thought.

ATA approves flight cases for just about anything, and one of the forum members had a steel case built for flying in Ipswich, MA...it was expensive, but worth it...
Ben Hoare

NSW Australia
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2007 10:52 pm    

I did a show on the weekend and got charged an extra $60 for extra weight .I put it on as fragile and in oversize bagage and it still comes out with the normal luggage instead of in the fragile section.I dont think it was opened though because the tape wasnt broken but Im pretty sure it was tossed around.Thanks for the ideas
David Lassiter

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2007 9:23 am     Some insurance ........

One trick I have heard for instrument in general is to insure them with the airline. Not that the insurance is all that important (what you really want is an intact guitar). The advantage is that the airline puts a big red sticker on insured items and handlers are motivated be more gentle.
Ben Hoare

NSW Australia
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2007 2:27 pm    

This sounds the same as our fragile oversize section where they put big fluro stickers on so that the staff take more care with the item.But if you're almost certain this is not going to happen all the time due to human error are there other things inside the case we can do.For example I know with guitars when posted they back the strings off to take pressure off the neck.Cheers
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2007 4:54 pm    

I fly with my D10 Emmons in a Wheel-Ez case. I roll it up to the ticket counter, making sure that I affect a nonchalant air as if it weighs next to nothing!

Then you have to get through security. Again, hefting it up on to the conveyor-belt has to be done in one deft movement to keep the subterfuge going! Then it's on to the gate. At that point, you're through the worst of it, and they are just interested in getting you on the 'plane and away.

The Wheel-Ez seems to fit in any overhead bin I've encountered, but it IS an art to heave a D10 above shoulder-level without braining any adjacent passengers!

It sure is a stress-free way to get your precious steel from A to B. I once tried sending it through with checked baggage and asking for special treatment and stickers, but it still came tumbling on to the carousel along with all the suitcases at the end of my journey....

Sad

RR
Ben Hoare

NSW Australia
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2007 5:26 pm    

Im definitely intreged Roger I would never have thought that I could get away with that.I have asked about taking it onboard before and they laughed at me so I never pushed it.How heavy is the emmons in the case as mine is 30 kg and would imagine yours is similar.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2007 6:08 pm    

Ben I have flown back and forth between NZ and Aussie with my Zum on many ocassions - I have a wheeled Bob Dell roadcase and have never had a problem with either Qantas or Air NZ.. apart from the weight....I usually take the leg and rod bag out and put that in my other bag - this does the trick and keeps me to about 29KG.
I have never had anyone open the case and take the guitar out ...the security tape is always intact when I arrive. This is in the baggage hold of course, there is no way I could get that baby in the cabin I don't think ha....and as for trying to lift it into an overhead locker, I don't think so Whoa! Is that Michel's Franklin you have there mate ??
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2007 6:17 pm    

Ben

I'm not suggesting that this is an infallible method, but I work on the principal of adopting a low-profile, especially as I first approach the check-in clerk.

I have the steel upright, as it were, and I roll it behind me - rather like one of those pieces of luggage designed for the overhead bin. Bear in mind that, although it's heavy (68 lbs, I think), all the weight is on the small wheels at the end of the case. It doesn't LOOK heavy, if you know what I mean. The Wheel-Ez is so compact-looking that it could almost be a saxophone!

I present the clerk with my check-in bags, not even addressing the subject of my carry-on item. When I reach security, the operators there assume that the guitar has been okayed by check-in. Likewise, when I reach the gate, THEY assume that all previous scrutinies have been satisfactory. A bit of light banter doesn't come amiss, either, and I'm perfectly happy to have my leg pulled about being an aging rock-star, etc, etc; all that registers with them is '...guitar', not 'steel guitar' (as if most of them know the difference!)

Every 'stage' of the process that I negotiate successfully is another step nearer my goal - my steel in a bin over my head (or, maybe, over someone else's head in the case of a bumpy flight!)

I must stress that it is not my intention to defraud anyone. All I want is for my precious Emmons to get there in one piece, and if it was a cast-iron certainty that paying the $50-75 excess charge would achieve this end, then I'd do it without hesitation. Experience has taught me that my guitar is safest when it's in my custody.

RR
Ben Hoare

NSW Australia
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2007 6:30 pm    

Hi Paddy thats a great idea taking out the rod bag to get weight down I never thought of that .No its not Michels I dont know who got that one.This one is Dave spicers old one its a beautiful cherry red one.Tomi Grasso was over the other day you may know him being local and was very impressed as its nearly like new.The only thing wrong is the decal is slightly worn but I spoke to Paul sr the other day and hes going ton send me another.Tomi also suggested putting a lawrence pick up in it as well which I might try though it sounds fantastic anyway.I think Ill order one and compare would be interested in your thoughts by the way that zum your selling looks like new wish I had bags of cash.
Paddy Long

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2007 8:24 pm    

HI Ben ok ...the Franklin sounds nice mate, say hi to Tommi for me !! The Bill Lawrence BL710 would go nice on it - I have them on my Zums ... yeah the one I have for sale is "as new" ...and is fabulous. Shame it has to make way for the new Hybrid Smile I wish I had bags of cash too, that way I could keep it!
Ben Hoare

NSW Australia
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2007 2:29 pm    

Thanks Paddy will do if I see him.Cheers for the thoughts
Paddy Long

Post  Posted 24 Nov 2007 2:02 am    

Ben, incidentally Paul Franklin Jnr uses Bill Lawrence pickups in his guitars - either 705's or 710's I think! What does your Franklin have in it?
Ben Hoare

NSW Australia
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2007 2:16 am    

Hi Paddy it has George L's PF 2's.I spoke to Paul sr and he said his opininion was that the ones in there were tonally as good but the lawrences had a bit more power.Are you likely to be crossing the seas for Tamworth in Jan . Ill be using it up there.Would be nice to catch up one day.Cheers