| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stolen guyatone lap steel and pedal steel
James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2007 11:16 am    

We had our uhual trailor stolen in San Francisco.

Among plenty of other gear, there was a red sho-bud 10-string pedal steel and a Guyatone cream colored fender deluxe-ish lap steel with two pickups and a Sustainiac pickup/driver installed at the 19th fret.

Please call James at 503-522-4090 if you see anything out there resembling these instruments.

thanks

James
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2007 7:20 pm    

Sorry to hear about it, James. I've posted a copy of this message on http://sfbay.craigslist.org under the Musicians section and forwarded it around to people I know in the Bay Area.

I hope you get your guitars and other items back.
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2007 11:35 pm    

That's two thefts in San Francisco in just a few days. I'm locking up extra securely tonight. Crying or Very sad

I hope you get your gear back. What model Sho-Bud was it ? Was it an S10 or D10 ? Was the Guyatone an S8 or a D8 ?
James Mayer

Post  Posted 9 Jul 2007 8:01 am    

Alan F. Brookes wrote:
That's two thefts in San Francisco in just a few days. I'm locking up extra securely tonight. Crying or Very sad

I hope you get your gear back. What model Sho-Bud was it ? Was it an S10 or D10 ? Was the Guyatone an S8 or a D8 ?

The other ad posted for a stolen red sho-bud in San Fran was by Alex who I was touring with. It's the same theft. I've never actually owned a pedal steel.

The Guyatone was an S6 and looked exactly like this:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=112243&highlight=guyatone

but with a Sustainiac pickup/driver installed in the 19th fret.

The Sho-Bud was an S10, I believe.
James Mayer

Post  Posted 9 Jul 2007 8:26 am    

In the end, I am out of about $5000 worth of gear. Two amps, an electric guitar, lots of misc effects, tuners, etc. It all adds up.

I'm the only one of the 9 musicians that had insurance. Anyone here ever deal with Heritage Insurance (musicins.com)?

I had my Industrial Steel Indy Rail inside, so it survived the incident. I decided not to take my flamenco guitar or my oud on this tour. If either of those had been stolen, I might have broken down into tears.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2007 7:38 am     How about some details..........

Was the trailer disconnected from the towing vehicle at the time of the theft? Was the trailer backed up so the doors were up against a concrete wall or anything like that? Was the trailer chained to a lamp post?

Give us some specifics so the mistakes won't again, be innocently made by others.
James Mayer

Post  Posted 10 Jul 2007 7:44 am    

It was hitched and chained to a Jeep Liberty. It was in downtown San Fran, a nice part of town near the Coit Tower. It was parallel parked. There was no way to back it up against a wall. Because the band was staying a friends apartment, and SF apartments aren't large enough to accommodate more than one person comfortably, the gear was not unloaded and brought up to the residence.

It must have taken several people to get it off the jeep and actually move something of that weight around enough to get it hitched to another vehicle. They tore off a the tail light during their getaway.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2007 8:04 am     The ingenuity of theives........

I used to always haul my gear in a 1965 and later, a 1978 Ford station wagon. Then one day, the fellows I was playing with told me that the last time we had played and stopped in at Denny's, someone had broken into the other guy's station wagon and looted all of the musical equipment. Even with all those people coming in and out of the restaurant at 2:00 in the morning, they pulled it off and were never caught.

Then, some years later, I came home to my apartment with my Emmons pack-seat and misc. other stuff tucked neatly in the rear of my 280Z. I was awakened by a frantic knocking at my door. To my amazement, someone had stolen my car at 7:30 in the morning, a Saturday, in broad daylight. One guy knocked out the winder, jerked the ignition and was gone. His partner waited in a Toyota. The only eye-witness made it a point to write down the license number of MY CAR. Needless to say, the thieves got away.

Very sorry to hear about your loss.
James Mayer

Post  Posted 10 Jul 2007 10:58 am    

I had just picked up my Industrial Guitars steel from a guy in Winters, CA who I sent it to for a custom string bender installment. Being a new toy, I brought it up to the apartment so it survived the theft.