| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  OK -- here's a dumb question...
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2005 1:51 pm    

Does anyone use a thumbpick with just their fingernails (i.e., no fingerpicks)? I've been experimenting with trying to make this work, because I HATE fingerpicks. Oh, I have been making myself use them, but I tend to like to pull fat, four and five note chord stabs quite a bit, too, and I'm trying to figure out how to avoid those dad-gum fingerpicks.
fingerpicks, and pluck away.
Also, sometimes, I just pick up a flatpick, and use my middle and ring fingers, sans

I know neither of these methods are correct or orthodox, but does anyone else ever play like this?

TJW

------------------
Todd James Weger/RD/RTD
1956 Fender Stringmaster T-8 (C6, A6, B11); 1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (C6, B11/A6); Chandler RH-4 Koa semi-hollow lapsteel (open G); Regal resonator (open D or G)
Andre Nizzari

Bronx, NY
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2005 2:31 pm    

I use the flesh of my fingers.

------------------
http://www.andreandthenighthounds.com/

Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2005 2:36 pm    

My buddy Ron from here does. The first time I saw him play, I thought it odd. He tells me he has always played this way. Anything to add, Ron?
John Potter

Solihull, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2005 3:26 pm    

Flat Gypsy 3.5mm pick and my fingers!

------------------
I'm probably masticating.........
Jeff Au Hoy

Honolulu, Hawai'i
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2005 4:18 pm    

Todd, were you pick-less in that video footage? 'cause it sounded as "natural" as anything to me. And you were getting that awesome fat "scooped" tone too. I tend to believe whatever works for a person... works. Pooh-pooh orthodoxy.
Travis Bernhardt

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2005 6:00 pm    

I play with a thumb pick and the flesh of my fingertips all the time. I don't play acoustic instruments that way, but my electric lap steel almost always gets played that way, except when I'm playing with picks so as not to lose the ability. Pedal steel I go back and forth, depending on the music.

If you find that you're not able to get the sounds you're aiming for, then you might consider picking up some new techniques. Otherwise, as long as what you're doing now works for you, there's no reason to stop.

-Travis
Ron Brennan

Orlando, Florida, USA; Formerly, Edison, NJ
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2005 7:37 pm    

Ron "Victoria's (exposed my) Secret"....

Yep, it's true.....for years, Thumbpick and 1/4 inch fingernails on three fingers...got to keep "em trim...Ocasionally, I will use fingerpick's, (I do own them) depends on the tune or my nails (busted).

The blasted cat showed me the true way!! Can't climb the trees and catch mice like he does though. Without those nails, he's useless...he is anyway

IMHO, I get a better feel & less metalic clink....closer to the bone, so to speak...To be sure, not on the flesh...to soft of a sound for me. Experiment, suit yourself...

Why?? OVer a hundred Soltices ago, a finger picking regular guitar player (Chet Atkins style) got me started.. Just got use to it since then... TX
rgds,
Ron

------------------
JCFSC member since 2005 "Be of Good Cheer"
"55" Stringmaster D8,"59" Stringmaster D6
"67" Telecaster,
"60"Fender Concert Amp 4-10's

[This message was edited by Ron Brennan on 20 April 2005 at 08:40 PM.]

Joel Newman

Smithsburg, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2005 8:17 pm    

Yup Todd, I'm in the thumb pick/no finger pick camp as well.I was just bare fingers but I find the thumb pick to be useful on repeated notes, I must say I'm still getting used to the thumb pick. I really tried the finger picks but it just felt so awkward. Best of luck finding your way . . .
Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2005 4:19 am    

On the psg Bobbe Seymour and Dr Hugh Jeffreys pick with their fingers. Chet Atkins used Lee Press on Nails. He said without them he might have to cancel a tour if he broke a nail.

------------------
Howard, 'Les Paul Recording, Zum S12U, Vegas 400, Boss ME-5, Boss DM-3
http://www.Charmedmusic.com

Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2005 5:09 am    

hey Todd. i too use a flatpick and any of the other fingers to make it work.
metallic picks have too harsh a ound for me.
flesh is besht. haha.
Ron Brennan

Post  Posted 21 Apr 2005 5:40 am    

Howard say's,

"Chet Atkins used Lee Press on Nails."

Howard, you got my attention.. ...What's Lee Press??? ....Maybe I can get the cat outa town with it...TX
rgds,
Ron,

------------------
JCFSC member since 2005 "Be of Good Cheer"
"55" Stringmaster D8,"59" Stringmaster D6
"67" Telecaster,
"60"Fender Concert Amp 4-10's

[This message was edited by Ron Brennan on 21 April 2005 at 06:44 AM.]

Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2005 8:40 am    

Lee PressOn nails is a product name. havent heard that name in quite some time.
Ron Brennan

Post  Posted 21 Apr 2005 10:36 am    

Randy,

Thank's for the information on the Lee Press on nails....

That won't work for me, a lessor player than most....and it certainly won't work for the giant nuisance cat that took over our house!

I appreciate your postin it though. I thought it might be something to strengthen the pickin nails....I can just "nail" it like I have for all these years....TX
rgds,
Ron
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2005 10:55 am    

I'm pretty ok with fingerpicks after playing with them about 10 years, but the thing I don't get is arching the index finger on the bar (like Jerry Bryd advises). That seems really counter-intuitive to me, and I find that I have way less bar control (especially for slants) when I'm trying to keep that finger arched like that (I do arch mine, but much less so. I don't hold it completely flat or press it on the bar much).
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2005 11:15 am    

The two biggest obstacles for me were: breaking new picks in (Bill Leff was witness to my "bow and arrow-like" pick shot), and finding the right chair to sit in. If the chair is not exactly right, I spend more time trying to keep it on my lap then really playing (that's why I bring my own).

The pick issues became non-issues for me after a few months. I don't think I'd be able to play a reso without them. Even on electric, I just like it better. You can't play a lot of stuff without them.

Also, my bar grip is nothing like JB's grip, but I don't have any problems slanting forward or backward; I just get custom-sized bars. Works for me.

[This message was edited by Mike Neer on 21 April 2005 at 12:17 PM.]

Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2005 6:13 am    

Hmmmmmm... Lee "press on" nails!? Might look into that!

Jeff, actually, I think I might have been using just a flatpick and fingers (with some nail). After a few beers, the thumbpick starts to confuse my soggy brain, and I slip back into my comfort zone with the flatpick.

I agree though, whatever works... works. There are some licks that are harder to do that way though, so I'm trying to really train myself to make the thumbpick work.

May have to check out those Lee nails. Seems like possibly the solution!

TJW
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2005 6:33 am    

Fingernails only. If god meant me to play with picks, I would have been born with them.
But I do admire guys that can use them; that's real dedication. Or some other quality I'm lacking.
Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2005 3:31 pm    

Jr. Brown uses a flat pick and the remaining fingers. I am intrigued by that method and it feels like it would become accurate and fluid for Steel with a "couple" months' practicing; And godknows it don't slow Jr. Brown down! I play Steel with finger picks; But I've played spanish with flat pick and remaining fingers for 45 years ...and also with just fingers for classical and some acoustic & electric things. Often I will stick the flat pick in my mouth for handy retrieval while getting the rounder "organ" sounds with just my fingers' meat. What has worked well for me is keeping my nails trimmed just short of the ends of my fingertips, ...allowing the fingernails to bite the strings by crooking the fingers slightly ...or get just the meat to pick by uncrooking the fingers slightly. I would also suggest that attacking the strings on folk (as opposed to classical) and electric guitars with fingers / fingernails at an angle to the strings works better for me than attacking perpendiclar to the strings. The angular attack is the natural position of the hand (wrist straight), as opposed to a crooked wrist necessary for perpendicular attack (proper for classical guitar), ...plus the angled attack isn't prone to snag on the strings, and also gives better / fluid degrees of nail attack than perpendiclar does.

I might add that when my nails are trimmed or bitten too short, I don't notice any substantial loss in not having them while using the many other picking techniques, ...but just the loss of nuances available with nails.

..............IMHO.

Aloha,
DT~

[This message was edited by Denny Turner on 22 April 2005 at 04:42 PM.]