| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lou Martin/Dave Austin Memorial Jam & Benefit April 7.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2007 2:29 pm    

I just received a call from my old friend in SoCal (Leo J. Eiffert, Jr.) with news of a memorial benefit for the families of two deceased musicians and also a jam to honor them.

The place will be:

VFW Hall, Post 9223
10303 Arlington Avenue
Riverside, California

Date: Saturday, April 7, 2007

TIME: 12:00 Noon until 6:00 PM

There will be a $10.00 donation which will entitle you to admission and a ticket to a drawing which will be for a 24" color television set and/or a Tony the Tiger Train Set.

There will be many local SoCal musicians on hand and a good time to be had for a great cause.

The musicians to be honored are:

Lou Martin.....Lou was a personal friend of mine for many years and one of the greatest guitarists and vocalists of the local LA scene. Lou worked all over the area for many years and was always one of the first to be there with his time and talent to help another picker in need. Sadly he passed away this past year at a much to young age.

Dave Austin......I didn't know Dave as well as I did Lou but Dave was a very fine vocalist and bass player. He worked with many bands most notably the Judy Lee show. He was only in his fifties when he passed away which is a real shame, he had a lot of tunes left in him. This benefit will help his family inter his remains.

If you can't attend and would like to contribute please send all checks to:

Musicians and Celebrities Foundation
Post Office Box 5412
Buena Park, California 90620

If you need any more information or would like to sign up to play contact Leo Eiffert at email...

swampbasque@email.msn.com

Thanks............JH in Va.

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2007 10:15 am    

bump^

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2007 2:24 am    

Bump for a good cause..........JH
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2007 1:29 pm    

Bump ^......been getting a lot of calls on this one....JH in Va.

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2007 10:12 pm    

Jerry, thanks for this info, somehow the LA grapevine is broken and I never hear about these events till they're over. I plan to attend this. I was lightly acquainted with both players, both fine musicians and good guys.

As always, these things are also a gathering of what's left of the LA music scene, fun to get together with other old-timers (can't believe I feel like I belong to that segment, ouch!), do some pickin' and reminiscing.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2007 6:52 am    

John, you do belong to that segment as we knew each other before I left LA and I've been gone over twenty one years. I guess you're "old" like me..LOL Seriously, I'm glad you're going and I wish I could but it's a little too far for me to drive and I don't fly on airplanes anymore. I'll be back in SoCal in September and I'd love to hear you play again..........JH in Va.

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2007 9:43 pm    

When you visit in the fall, we ARE going to get in a visit and maybe some picking, my friend. There's supposed to be a weekly Thursday night jam at the Redondo Beach Moose, I think, I'll look into that ahead of time and see if it's worth our crashing the party.

I really would like to try your tuning and changes, very interesting stuff.
Slim Lattimer

Anaheim, CA USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2007 6:18 am    

This is for a very good cause and will be a lot of fun. I didn't know Dave, but Lou brought a spiritual vibe to all of the benefits and gigs that I had the pleasure of playing with him at over the past few years.

Anaheim, CA USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2007 10:28 am    

*The memorial will start with a 21 gun (21 white doves/pigeons) salute at 12:00 noon.
**Fellow Forumites Mike Perlowin and John McClung are confirmed performers.
***Other artists who may or may not be attending include: Jimmy Lester, Amil Presson, Al Brown, Barbie Mathews, Larry Settle, Joe Baker, Lonnie Duckworth, Dean Lane, Skip Harrison, Jerry Garcia, Brad Lewis, Jimmy John Fumlinger, Monty Paul, Joe Eiffert, Dick Campbell, Ray Hughes, Sandi Lane, Leigh Scott, Betty Roberts, Donna Jean, Teeci Clark, Mike Paul, Al Parret, Tommy Gobal, Jerry Rainey, Mark Burnett, Lawton Jiles, Kathe Bee, Uncle Pete, Eddie Drake, Mike Addington, Phil Ochs, John Hill, Rick Gibson, Judy Lee Paxton, Tommy Waters, Buddy Kristy, Mike Kelly, Phil Baron, Laura Lynn, Blackie Taylor and more!javascript:emoticon('Very Happy')
Very Happy
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2007 8:20 am    

Slim Lattimer wrote:

***Other artists who may or may not be attending include: Jerry Garcia...

????
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2007 8:35 am    

Slim Lattimer wrote:

***Other artists who may or may not be attending include: Barbie Mathews, ... Judy Lee Paxton,

I was totally in lust with both these ladies back then. Of course they were both married at the time but even if they were single and available they were totally out of my league and I never would have stood a chance with either of them. At least I got to pick with Barbie a whole lot. Great gal, and a fine singer.

Despite the sadness of the occasion, it will be good seeing them and all the others again.

Also among the names on Slim's list is Al Parrett, another fine steel player. That makes 5 of us so far.
I guess we'll line up all the steels in a row off stage.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2007 1:06 pm    

Slim Lattimer wrote:

***Other artists who may or may not be attending include: ...Phil Ochs, ...

Am I missing something here?
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2007 4:44 am    

up...
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2007 1:04 pm    

Bump.........wish I could be there with the great line up of pickers........JH in Va. Wink

Anaheim, CA USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2007 3:26 pm    

dude
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2007 6:36 am    

Be there or be square!
Slim Lattimer

Anaheim, CA USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2007 8:47 am    

We had a great turn out for the memorial jam! In addition to the many music fans who supported the benefit, musicians who came out include;
*Jay Dee Maness, John McClung, Mike Perlowin, Harley Morris, Ray Hughes, Sandy Layne & Leigh Scott (Sugar Magnolia), Bud Walker, Jimmy Lester, Paul Booth, Gerry Browning, Tom Clift, Lawton Jiles, Leo J. Eiffert Jr., Bobby Jay, Matt Brunette, Larry Settle, Al Brown, Barbi Mathews, Cliff Crawford, Dean Lane, Sandy Neal, Lonnie Duckworth (Sundown Band), Betty Roberts, Olle Olson, Jerry Rammey, Joey Lee (Bootleg Country), Joe Eiffert & Teeci Clark (Southern Spirit), Brad Lewis, Mark Barnett, Richard West, Sherri Pedigo, John Hill, Richard Green, Blackie Taylor, Jimmie Jones, Don Meadow Brock, Johnny Frailey, Brother Bernie, Mike Kelly, and Jimmy John Fumlinger.
**Thank you all for keeping the Southern California brotherhood alive by coming together in the neighborhood and helping the families of Louis U. Martucci (Lou Martin) and David A. Butler (Dave Austin, in addition to helping the Cougar Cubs Child Center. Special thanks to the VFW Post 9223 for hosting the event.
**Thanks to Sonny Cangiarella for providing the white pigeons and to the other pigeon flyers for their support.
***Musicians and Celebrities Foundation

Last edited by Slim Lattimer on 10 Apr 2007 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2007 3:04 pm    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
Slim Lattimer wrote:

***Other artists who may or may not be attending include: Barbie Mathews, ... Judy Lee Paxton,

I was totally in lust with both these ladies back then.

Barbi is now a little old lady, but she's hot little old lady and I'm still in lust with her.
Slim Lattimer

Anaheim, CA USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2007 8:23 pm    

I forgot to mention that fellow Forumite Bill Tomilson also came out in support.