Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2007 5:46 pm    

I got my copy of Dicky Overbey-HonkyTonkMemories
and I am really enjoying it.
From Southland Records, Texas.
Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2007 7:25 pm    

I have had this CD for awhile and it is great. Dickey is a master player. I think I read somewhere that he played with Ronnie Milsap at one time...
If you haven't got this CD, get one. You will enjoy it! Larry J.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2007 8:01 am    

Yes - he did play with Milsap for a long while.

In fact, if anyone out there can help me in my quest to get a copy of Ronnie's 1970's live album, Id be delighted!!!

There's a newer 'live' recording that's not so good (made in the 2000s), but the first one has lots of Dickey's great playing - it was an inspiration to me way back then.

It's long been out of print - does anyone have the LP who'd be prepared to make a copy?

Thanks,

RR
Eddie Thomas

Macon,Ga.,USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2007 9:37 am     Re: Milsap Live

Roger if you will email me with your address, I will fix you up.
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2007 9:57 am    

Dickey is a hoot to watch.

Just a few weeks back he was playing at Pearl's in the Fort Worth Stockyards with Jake Hooker and I stood about three feet from him for three hours.

One minute he'll play the most classic lick and the next will be some crazy off the wall blistering quick run.He get's all tickled, looks up with the huge grin on his face looking like...well how'd ya like that?

Don't miss him if he's playing near you but get there early because Jake Hooker always has a packed house.
Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2007 7:39 pm    

I'd love to see him play live, but it's along drive for me, from Walton, New York. I did go to Nashville last summer and saw John Hughey live, with the Time Jumpers. Now that was a show... They have a DVD out now and it is a pleasure to watch; a group of the best musicians in Nashville playing for the enjoyment of making music, and having great fun in the process.
Larry J.
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2007 9:43 pm    

[quote="Roger Rettig"]Yes - he did play with Milsap for a long while.

In fact, if anyone out there can help me in my quest to get a copy of Ronnie's 1970's live album, Id be delighted!!!

I have that album and would be glad to make you a cassette. Email me at billd@rollanet.org
A little story I would like to share. When I was 12 we lived in the country and didn't get to town much so there wasn't much opportunity to learn anything about music.
I had an old archtop silvertone guitar. I wanted to learn to play worse than anything. My brother was in the Air Force. He had told me about a friend he had made that played really good guitar and he would bring him home with him some weekend, which he did.I'll never forget him, His name was Jack Watkins who played with Millsap for years. I had lost complete track of him until I heard that album. He had showed me how to tune a guitar and my basic chords. In a month I was playing and singing. I'm not sure but I think he died a while back. I did make contact with him a few years ago and he remembered coming to our house, and my moms gravy.
Wade Branch

Weatherford, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2007 10:05 am    

Hey Dick Wood,I thought you changed your name to "Dicky Wannabey" if you dont want it,I'll take it. Laughing

<--- (Me and Dicky) Notice Iam grinnin'like a possum eating grapes.Dicky has that effect on me....well and the bud light too.
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2007 12:21 pm    

That is my new name but I would probably have to pay b0b another hard earned $5.00 to get him to change it.
Ricky Thibodeaux

Dallas,Texas
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2007 12:33 pm     Got It

I got Dickey's Honky Tonk Memories cd a few days ago and love the way he does Another Bridge to Burn and of course all of the other tracks as well. He is one of my favorites