| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Replacing Tuners on Stringmasters and Fender Pedal Steels
Whit Snell

San Antonio, TX
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2007 12:30 pm    

I wanted to see if anyone has found a good replacement key for the old Lollipop style tuners on older Fender Pro's and older Stringmaster. I have a dual neck Pro and a 4 neck Stringmaster (mint, except for a couple of bad keys) with these Lolipos.

I have mastered (I think) replacing Kluson keys on the newer Stringmasters. I also firmly believe on replacing them all with the All-Parts TK-0875-001 tuners and putting the Klusons away in a safe place. These keys require a little grinding and are not mounted to a plate - they are held in place by the body and the pan. String tension keeps them from moving as well. They work GREAT and are easy to tune and STAY in tune!. I replaced every key on a "like new" 1958 tripple neck Stringmaster and several others as well. Here are the keys you use (click to see image):

http://www.armstrongproject.com/steel.html

The Lollipop is a different story with the plates brazed to the pan. Any suggestions or comments? PS - I have the info for repairing them. I want to REPLACE them with new.

Thanks

Whit Snell
San Antonio TX

Last edited by Whit Snell on 20 Feb 2007 10:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Dale Lee

Down Yonder
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2007 4:31 pm    

I have an opinion on this. I just replaced mine. I didn't like the allparts TK-0875-001 because the string hole is at the end of the peg, not in the center. It's more work, but if you get 3-on-a-plate as discussed in this thread you can get the proper buttons and the string hole where it should be.
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=102175&highlight=
Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2007 4:35 pm    

I think that down the road (future) people will feel lucky just to GET a Stringmaster, nevermind the dam tuners. Saving the useless tuners would be OK if it were going into a museum (what a horrible thought that is) Sad , but if I were buying one ( Iwish) with newer tuners I wouldn't be holding out for the original useless parts just to have them.

Just my 2bits Smile
Dale Lee

Down Yonder
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2007 4:41 pm    

Well, Bill, you're probably right. For me, I should worry more about trying to learn to play the dad-gum thing than what kind of tuners are in it.
John Dahms

Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2007 4:54 pm    

But if you replace the tuners you may lose out on some of the charm and Mojo of the old piece. Like if you bought an old Jaguar sports car and didn't have to walk home, or like if you bought an old house and wind didn't blow in through the window frames. Or even the 60 cycle hum of that fine old tube amp. These are priceless gifts.
Ah, what the hell. It's your guitar, If you insist on playing in tune, change 'em.
Whit Snell

San Antonio, TX
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2007 8:56 pm    

First off Bill and John, I am not a good enough player to benefit from the Mojo. I saved two Stringmasters from a trip to Japan (where guitar investors are pretty savy, and not that relocating to Japan is a bad thing - but I personally think of these guitars as part of American musical history and want them in the U.S.). They are kept in a controlled enviroment and are loaned frequently to players I trust. Should they wind up in the hands someday of someone who could better benefit from the orriginal keys (and Mojo) they will have that option. Regardless, execelent point about whats important here - PLAYING.

Dale, those Grover tuners definitely look more original and would be easier to space since the plate is flat and not concave like Allparts. Are they good quality? The hole on the end of the Allparts bothered me at first but not anymore. Big deal. You just start the string in the hole and wind it to the middle or wherever it needs to end up. I am guessing the Grover might be better quality than the Allparts as well, but I have never had an issue with the Allparts. I do believe they are smoother than a brand new (old) Kluson. The reason I replace the Klusons is mainly beacuse the new Allparts just work better and are much easier to tune. I think the metal and machining is probably better on these newly manufactured ones. The other reason is to preserve the Klusons which have a limited life, should somebody care down the road when my kids have, uhm you know... the BIG garage sale.

Either way, newer Stringmaster issues are covered and us guys with older Lolipops still struggle and dread string changes less we screw up another tuner. Has anyone at least un-brazed the solder and removed the lollipops? Did it screw up and discolor the pan?

Whit