| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "Old Pro" players picking in alt. country bands?
Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 7 Feb 2007 10:28 pm    

Talked to a cyber friend on the phone the other day. He is a well-known steel player in the southeast. He said he is playing more than ever, and especially with alt. country bands. Don't quote me, but that's kinda what I heard.

FWIW, alt. country (alternative country) is a big tent, that includes anyone from Buddy Miller to some kids down the street playing punk rock to a waltz time. I like a lot of it, some of the bands are REAL country.

Just curious if anybody here who played steel through the years in honky tonks and etc, are playing with pickers much younger and a bit more -- uh -- adventurous?

I don't know if these bands are alt. country but The DeRailers, The Hacienda Brothers, Buddy Miller and the lastest album by the Rice Brothers, Jay Dee and the gang out in California all knock me out.
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2007 11:21 pm    

Hi, Tom, don't know if I qualify to answer you, but I've been playing for almost 30 years and I'm 53...
I did a T.V. taping yesterday with a band of 20-somethings, and played a club date tonight with another group the same age. Have several road dates this weekend with a third group, mostly under 25. There are a whole lot of bands around here playing what I consider to be alternative country or jam band music, and it does cover a very wide palette of styles and approaches. Most of the players are young and energetic, enthusiastic and inspiring. I love being around them and their music.
I'm often puzzled by the posts I see complaining about lack of gigs and venues, I would assume (perhaps wrongly!) that other sections of the country must have a similarly vibrant Alt-country or jam rock scene, and if it's anything like the southeast, the bands, fans, and players love pedal steel and really like having it in the mix.
I'm having a blast.
Dave Harmonson

Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2007 11:48 pm    

Yes, I agree that some of these new artists are playing real country music. I really don't listen much to the mainstream country acts these days. Shania, Big and Rich etc. don't ring my chimes. I've got a regular Tuesday night gig, a 3 piece without drums, my 21 year old son plays bass, I play guitar and straight steel, and a long time friend of mine plays guitar and fiddle. We keep getting older and older with the material, and the crowd is mostly twenty somethings who want to hear Buck Owens, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Webb Pierce. It's a blast.
Tim Walker

Marin County, CA (originally U.K)
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2007 11:51 pm    

Hi, Tom is right, alt-country is a pretty broad banner if anyone wants to check it out, there's some great songwriting out there.
My tips for a starting place would be Wilco, Son Volt (with the excellent Eric Heyward on Steel), The Jayhawks and Whiskeytown (Ryan Adams old band). Cheers, Tim
Roman Sonnleitner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 2:33 am    

Over here in Europe, alt.country is VERY popular, and, indeed, the genre is a very broad one, it's often more of an attitude than a musical style.
BTW, I play lap steel in an alt.country band (would love to try pedal steel if the initial costs weren't as high...), and even with that instrument, there are like 5 bands I could join on the spot (just recorded a few lap steel tracks as a guest for some friends' band's CD, and I'm also playing a couple of gigs with them in the next months, and I have only been playing lap steel for about a year...)

If you want some more tips on alt.country with steel:
Calexico: kinda TexMex/Mariachi influenced, their pedal steeler, Paul Niehaus, played with Lambchop before.
Richmond Fontaine - their pedal steeler, Paul Brainard, is a member here; I think they just released a new album, which I'm really looking forward to.
Friends Of Dean Martinez - project of lap steeler Bill Elm, very film-soundtrack like, steel-centered instrumentals.
Western Electric also have some nice steel playing on their selftitled album.

Last edited by Roman Sonnleitner on 8 Feb 2007 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Roman Sonnleitner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 2:35 am    

Oh, and BTW, while some alt.country is more like rock with a steeler, other bands are much closer to "real" (Bakersfield, honky tonk, Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, etc.) country than the commercial slime that is coming out of Nashville these days.

Last edited by Roman Sonnleitner on 8 Feb 2007 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 7:28 am    

Like Mark, I'm 53 too, and a vast majority of my gigs are with younger cats and alt-country bands. It's a blast, and it's especially fun when us older guys wear their butts out--what a bunch of lightweights!...Smile Smile Smile
Bob Knetzger

Kirkland, WA USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 8:43 am    

I have some mixed feelings about the current alt.country thing. I think it’s great that younger and local acts are doing “American roots” style music with a more sincere, original approach than many current commercial, mainstream "country” acts now. The do-it-yourself ethic is to be admired.

But often the total package comes off a little too mopey, too singer/songwritery. The do-it-yourself approach sometimes means a guitarist is “slumming” on steel, playing along as best he can. As a listener, I yearn for a little more sparkle and energy. A little “Buck” would go a long way.

Like some of the other postsers here, I’m also a 53 year old steeler and have played with local bands who were 25-30 years younger. In one band I realized (and we all had a good laugh at) that I had strings in my case older than some of the other band members. Even for a weekend player like me, it’s fun to add some real snap, crackle, and pop to the mix and people really respond to it.

I’m now in a band with an age range of members from their 20’s, 30’s, 40’s..and me. We have fun with lots of original songs but with classic country and country/rock sounds. I think the age mix is great. The young guitar player is excited to learn about Clarence White B-bender stuff and I’m old enough to have the 60’s and 70’s recordings for him…on vinyl…ha.
Laughing
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 9:44 am    

Funny that you should mention it but I just recorded yesterday with a young Alt. Country band here in Anchorage called the "Whipsaws".
http://www.thewhipsaws.com/ and had a blast,They sound sort of like Neil Young with Crazy Horse meets the Faces.I lent them a DVD of the two ACL shows that I did with B.W.Stevenson in 1975 and the guitar player said "Dude That Was The Year I was Born"They are big Dan Penn/Spooner Oldham fans also and Man!these young people can play their butts off.I'm the first Pedal Steel player to record with them,They couldn't believe the sound of my "Desert Rose...4 songs"they made a big deal out of me,and made me feel young again,They want me to do some concerts with them,They sell out all of the big venues up here.Macy 53 huh?54 is the one that really hurts...Stu
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 10:02 am    

Yup - lots of us 53 year olds playing Americana/alt-country with much younger players. It has its good and bad points, like anything else, but on balance, it's fun. To stay alive, this music has to be willing to take in new influences and grow. That's what this movement is about, to me. I love mixing roots American music styles up.

Now, for truth in advertising, my playing in the old days was guitar, not steel - I've been at the steel for about 7-8 years now. But I've been playing honky tonk music - blues, country, rockabilly, and so on, for a long time on guitar.

I do agree with Mark and others - these younger folks do love the steel guitar. I don't have time to do most of the projects people want me to right now. My "day job" teaching at a university keeps me plenty busy - no complaints there either. I like being around young people - the popular impression of lack of depth is not entirely accurate. They have a lot more distractions than previous generations, but their level of opportunities is unparalleled in history. Lots of these "kids" have used them to impressive advantage. Give 'em time to grow up - some of them are gonna be fine musicians, scientists, writers, or whatever they're going for.
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 10:04 am    

Quote:
But often the total package comes off a little too mopey, too singer/songwritery. The do-it-yourself approach sometimes means a guitarist is “slumming” on steel, playing along as best he can. As a listener, I yearn for a little more sparkle and energy. A little “Buck” would go a long way.

this is actually how I feel about the music I write. I wanna be more upbeat and energetic, but the slow mopey stuff is just what comes out instead. Im struggling right now to try and write more uptempo material...singer/songwriters kinda always bored me and now I find out that ive become one. Sad
Carroll Hale

EastTexas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 10:22 am     the young pups

I am 59...60 in march....and I had quit playing music for over 25 years until my two sons.....(a drummer...and guitar) invited me over to a practice session to listen to their newly formed band....(a mix of rock..country...oldies)...I listened for about and hour and then they asked if I wanted to borrow a guitar and sit in on a few songs.....oh yeah....did I ever....in less than 30 minutes I was standing up singing some hank sr...merle..jerry lee lewis...chuck berry.......wow....after about 2 hours my fingers were bleeding from no callouses ......but, this was the beginning of my 2nd life in music....went back every friday nite for a year....started playing my new toy...steel/dobro.......got into another band of retired ladies/gents playing for small parties.....weddings....nursing homes........my biggest question...why did I quit for 25 years...to raise a fine family and work to pay bills....now, I am reaping the rewards of 2 sons who love to have poppa around and see him acting young again.....although, I dont always like some of their music....I do love being with them and mostly playing again......will never quit again as long as I am on this old earth..........love those young pup musicians....
ch in texas...........
Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 10:51 am    

I'll be 52 in April. It's nice to see all the young guys out and playing. Very Happy

I took a drive in June of last year to see "The Dead String Brothers" in Cleveland. Great sound ... something about an SVT in a small club ... The steel player was 21 but he replaced Tommy Spurlock on the road and Dale Dorsey who played on the album. The guys in the band all look under 30. Most of the people in the club looked my age.

Russ
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 11:29 am    

1953.... First issue of Playboy magazine was published I do believe... Also there was something to do about the first use of jet engines in commercial airplanes... Bobbe Seymour was with Ray Price... Corvettes also have a tie to 1953...

Also, We were born...

What a splendid year!
Eric Jaeger

Oakland, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 11:59 am    

Hey, I'd love to play with some of these younger roots-type bands. If I could just figure out where they hang out to meet them. The Bay Area's a big place.

-eric
Grant Johnson

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 1:20 pm    

I am a little closer in age to the Alt-Country kids and am proud say that I cut my teeth in the first wave of Alt-Country bands in the Northwest from the early 90's. It warms my heart to see guys like Lloyd Green play with lesser known americana/alt-country acts here in Nashville... Maybe he realizes that is where the heart and soul of country is. Most of these alt-country acts have far more in common with Charlie Pride, Johnny Paycheck, Merle Haggard, Loretta Lynn etc, than the "country radio" hit makers who are basically suburban rock with cowboy hats.
John Poston

Albuquerque, NM, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 1:47 pm    

Eric - try putting and ad on Craigslist under musicians. Describe the type of outfit you're looking to be in and when people contact you, you can discuss time/money details personally - preferrably after they hear how much steel improves their sound at rehearsal Smile

Last edited by John Poston on 8 Feb 2007 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve Waltz

USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 1:58 pm    

Eric,

For local alt-country bands in the bay area.

http://hickswithsticks.com

Go to the calandar page, it's up to date.

There are links to bands so you can check out who is who. There is also a ton of links to other stuff like, western swing, radio and more. There is also a page for musicians needed. Craigslist is a good place to look to see who is looking for musicians.

There are a number of bands around town that play great country music.

Steve
Michael Haselman

St. Paul
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 2:04 pm    

Well, count me in as born in '53, 53 years old. I'm playing with a band of youngsters, the oldest (besides me) is 29. Not alt country, but this kid www.timsigler.com loves outlaw, Cash, Strait, and he keeps me busy, and he loves steel guitar. Actually I've got offers from at least a half dozen kids in the last year, which makes me believe there's a steel guitar renaissance (if I spelled that right I'm amazed) going on.

Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 3:00 pm    

It seems that I'm a year older than you guys I'm 54, One more thing these kids are teaching me is all kinds of new words,and they helped me move my equipment. Laughing Laughing
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 3:54 pm    

Stu, you're not alone up there, I'm 54, at least for another month and a half. I play with a Contemporary Christian band and all of the other members are younger than me, but some not by much. Our youngest is our drummer, he's 30. I hang right in there with them from Rock to Country.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 4:20 pm    

Darvin,I'll be 55 April 10th,I'm sorry that I didn't get to meet you in Mesa...I couldn't read the name tags without getting too close.I'll find you next time we can hang out a little,Stu
Larry Strawn

Golden Valley, Arizona, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 4:27 pm    

Dang, ya'll are making me feel like an old man here at 58, until April anyway. Laughing
The guitar player and singer we just invited into the group is about 6 yrs. older than me, guess we need to look around for one of those 25 yr. old pickers now! Very Happy

Larry
Eric Jaeger

Oakland, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 5:22 pm    

Steve and John, thank you!

The hickswithsticks website is fabulous. I had no idea we had that much going on. And the number of (obviously) young twang bands is really encouraging -- it gives me hope that music as we know it will stay alive.

As to craigslist, I'm a bit wary. Finding musicians with the requisite "lack of seriousness" Smile is a bit tough. I'm not quitting my day job, but I'd like people who know more than three chords (though there was a time that's all I knew).

Any experiences with craigslist?

-eric
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 6:47 pm    

i'M 67 ,Last year toured with a 25 year old alt artist,played a LOT of rock and punk rock clubs,None of these young people asked for Kenny Chesney,Big and Rich,Cowboy Troy,or the rest of the %^$# they call country music today,they wanted to hear Hank Sr.,Webb,Earnest,Cash,Buck,also Wayne Hancock,Dale Watson[which IMO is the best we have today]Robbie Fulks,etc,A lot of young people love this music,but the music industry will not give to them,they only promote this absurd --it you see and hear on GAC or FM radio. Bama Charlie.