| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  U14 String Gauges for string #14
Eugene Cole

near Washington Grove, MD, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2007 8:32 pm    

I used to run an .080 for the low E-string when I had Grover tuners. I also discovered that a .090 would not fit through the hole in the Grover tuner. With a keyless tuner system I currently use a .100 for the low-E and a .080 for the low-B. These gauges seem to work well for me.

Has anyone tried modifying a Grover tuner to accept a larger string gauge? If so how large was the hole modified-to and what gauge string did it accomodate?

For reference I have posted my U14 copedents and a couple of Anders Brundell's copedents here:
--> http://www.pixenbar.com/Copedents/

I would like to see and/or learn what gauges other players choose for strings 14 & 13 and which brands of string you prefer to use for these strings. Why do you prefer that brand? Please state what type of tuners you are using.

PixEnBar.com
Cole-Luthierie.com
FJ45.com

Sierra U14 8+5 my copedent, 1972 MSA D10 8+4, and nothing in the Bank. 8^)

Last edited by Eugene Cole on 7 Feb 2007 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2007 9:49 pm    

I played a Sierra SCM14SE a few years back. I always used the suggested string gauges listed on the copedent sheet. Worked just fine for me. [.080 on the 14th and .068 or .70 on 13 best I recall.]

At that time I was buying all my strings from Bruce Zumsteg and I believe they were stainless composition. They performed great for me.

My axe was a gearless model, so can't offer any suggestions re: the Grover machines.
Eugene Cole

Post  Posted 7 Feb 2007 9:54 am     String 14 going dead too fast?

A related problem I would like to open up for discussion is whether other players find that string 14 goes dead pretty fast?

This is the reason I am curious to know what brand of string you prefer and why you prefer that brand of string.

-E
Anders Brundell

Falun, Sweden
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 2:30 am     S 14 string gauges

Hello, Eugene!

I've given up hope for string 14 so I actually play a 13 stringer. The scale is simply too short, so the .105 in position 14 sounds muddy even though it's a NewTone string (often labled Burns, London) that are by far the best sounding strings I've ever heard. It has a crystal clear Fender twang with any pick up.
I guess that a low E on a short scale (relative to electric bass guitar) would require a much heavier string than a .105, but I've never found any. But I haven't researched that much either, so there might very well be some manufacturer somewhere. I always used Ernie Ball standard strings before a friend hinted me about New Tone.
I play a keyless Sierra; copedant at
http://groups.msn.com/countryfolketidalarna/dcmcsfotoalbum.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=151
and I have to "peel" off some wire before I can get the heaviest string ends into the hole in the lever.
ed packard

Show Low AZ
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 10:38 am    

Eugene; I use anything that I can get short of a Hawser rope...but then I have scale lengths up to 30" with low note + C, another with 25" scale and low note = Bb, and one 25" scale with Bill Stafford's setup using an E for the low string. These are all 14 stringers.

The low string gauge is always a compromise re what can be obtained. 0.120 would be nice on the Bb and C...hard to find.

Mostly I use GHS BOOMERS, or SIT for the "normal" strings...and whatever I can find for the low ones. Contact Bill Stafford re these FAT strings...he both uses and sells them.

The FAT string issue is one reason that I am looking at string clamping methods. If the ball & wrap can be eliminated, the string gauge range is opened up considerably, as piano strings can be used, and they come in many more gauges.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2007 12:40 pm    

I have the same issue with my Sierra U-14 with Grovers. I think I got an 0.085 on string 14, which is the max it would take - my guess is that each one is a hair different. I find even that gauge is a bit too slack to be useful as a low E. It just sort of goes "boing". I think 0.100 would be a lot better. My 6-string Fender Jaguar Bass VI has a 0.095 on the low E with a 28.5" scale, and it sounds great. I think with a 24-25" scale, 0.100 or 0.105 would be OK, but so far haven't been able to get one on there.

I have drilled out tuners to accomodate larger strings (an old Dano Silvertone 2-pickup guitar, for example, which I set up as a baritone guitar), but haven't done it to this steel yet. Of course, one needs to be very careful, but I think it should be able to be done. I used a Dremel with a real small (I think 1/16" or 3/32") aluminum oxide grinding bit to ream and then polished it with a comparable polishing bit - polishing is, of course, critical to avoid a sharp edge which can break the string. I just did it by feel - ream a little bit, check for fit, then do a bit more, until the string fits in there, then polish it and smooth the edges. When I do this on the steel, I'll probably get a replacement tuner to mod, keeping the original one stock. I generally like the GHS stainless strings for that steel.

I don't find that bass strings go dead quickly at all. I think my problem is that the slackness of the string causes it to feel dead right away.

One other thing - I have found, on bass and baritone guitars, that the stiffness on flatwound strings is a bit higher. I have thought of putting a fat flatwound on string 14 just to see if that helps.

Of course, even with all this, I doubt I'm gonna find a bass player who appreciates me down in his turf. Wink
Anders Brundell

Falun, Sweden
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2007 5:23 am     super heavy strings

I see that Newtone http://www.newtonestrings.com/ has a bunch of really fat strings (.120 .125 .130 .135 and .140)
I've never tried any of them, but now I'm getting curious. If not a .140 can be tense enough for a low E, then a tow wire is probably the final solution.
Eugene Cole

Post  Posted 9 Feb 2007 1:20 pm     Exposing the core wire so a string will fit the a tuner

I know that this is stating the obvious... but... at the moment I am slapping my forehead and exclaiming DUH because I never tried this!

If one removed the winding from around the core-wire on the portion of the string which passes through hole in the tuner one could fit a larger string to an OEM sized hole in a tuner. This same method should work with most keyless tuner systems.

Have any of you already tried this?

The problem is that you lose the friction/clamping which keeps the winding tight. But it would probably still offer an improvement for the players that had maxed out with a .080 to a .085 because they were using sealed-tuners like Schaellers or Grovers.

I could use a bench grinder to remove the winding at a very specific point on the string.

I guess I need to order some strings and do some experimenting.

-E