| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Oahu Tonemaster
Bari Smith

Spartanburg SC USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2007 2:19 pm    

I'm usually over on the pedal side of things,but I just acquired a 1949 Oahu Tonemaster and a 1949 Oahu Supreme Amp(Ser #V22385) from the original owner.Also got maybe 20 pieces of instructional material published by Oahu copyrighted 1940 &'41.No case....all original as far as I can tell,that's what I was told.It's in good plus shape.Amp still has original tubes,old RCA's.Anyway,any input would be appreciated...Value?info?etc?THANKS!!!!Bari Smith Very Happy

San Diego
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2007 2:37 pm    

I'll give you $100 bucks for it, no questions asked...

Seriously though, the amps can vary quite a bit in value but the guitar is probably $350 to $450 if it's clean. I've seen that type amp go for $100 and I've seen them for about 3 times that. Weather, politics, etc., all seem to affect values these days. If you get $600 for the pair you are doing pretty well IMHO.

By the way, do NOT power that amp up until it has had a recap.
Randy Cordle

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2007 3:57 pm    

I sold a near identical set (Guitar and amp) in near-mint condition on e-bay last year, but also with original case. Around $750 total if my memory serves me correctly...

Spartanburg SC USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2007 6:41 pm     Thanks!!!

Thanks guys...probably gonna end up selling it ,but it sounds so good kinda makes it tuff to let it go...appreciate the input....get her cleaned up a little and rethink it!!!!!Peace and Chicken Grease!!!! Very Happy Laughing

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2007 9:07 pm    

I recall (the late) NORM ENGLISH had an OAHU guitar. (He worked for Harry Stanley, owner of OAHU Publishing). That guitar was "plain jane" in appearance but had a very nice tone.
If I had it, I'd be inclined to keep and enjoy it. JMHO.
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2007 9:57 pm    

Bari, I bought an Oahu Tonemaster like this one about 6 years ago and it turned out to be one of my favorite guitars, especially after Rick Aiello zapped the pickup for me.
Brad Catler

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2007 9:46 pm    

I think Tonemasters are cool guitars, and the way the bridge is designed the string contacts a lot of metal, and it give the high strings a sitar like twang, which i love, (at least on mine it does.) The long scale makes slants a little difficult, but it makes going back to the shorter scale guitars a breeze.