| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What Makes a Good Steel Player
Dave Seddon

Leicester, England.
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2007 10:06 am    

I've been trying to figure this one out. There are the profesionals that do it for a living, practicing all day every day, then working the stage or studio, then there are the guys that just do it for the love of the instrument. Some pickers have the ability to Slant the Bar and find notes in positions that some of us lesser mortals couldn't even dream of finding. I have recently put a few numbers on Youtube and have had some really nice comments about my playing. My point is, My playing is very,very simple compared to other Steelers like my idols Jimmy Day, and Tommy White, (yes I use the Day setup) but apart from Steel players, does anyone,(Joe Public that is) know the difference between Buddy, Lloyd, Jimmy, Tommy or even me for that matter. You hear guys (The Public) talking about Lead guitarists, Bass players etc, even Drummers, but the only people you hear talk about Steel players are Steel players, except for the odd drunk in the audience who reckons he loves the guy on the harpsichord or the zither or even (on one occasion) the Balalika thing. What D'you think.
Cheers, Dave
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2007 10:15 am    

Quote:
The only people you hear talk about Steel players are Steel players

Yes, it's kind of an "area of specialization"... (or an "acquired taste?")

I think John Q. Public doesn't have a clue... Most don't even know (or really care) where that sound is coming from. It's not their fault...

Kinda like the operation of a motor vehicle. When I took driver's ed in high school I was dumbfounded that most of my female classmates (and a few of the males too) were aware of nothing past the key, steering wheel, gas pedal and brakes. They got by....
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2007 10:34 am    

Ray Minich wrote:
Quote:
The only people you hear talk about Steel players are Steel players

. When I took driver's ed in high school I was dumbfounded that most of my female classmates (and a few of the males too) were aware of nothing past the key, steering wheel, gas pedal and brakes.

You mean there's more than that?
Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2007 10:41 am    

Why should "Joe Public" even care WHO'S WHOSE in the steel guitar world? Do you think steel players are too judgmental when it comes to the playing abilities of fellow steel players? Just play the thing and have fun doing it! Joe
Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2007 10:48 am    

One of the big differences that come to my mind is the fact that someone had to pioneer or "invent" the various runs, licks, intros, signature licks, etc. Lots of us can copy (after a fashion) but the composers of the original, definately stands apart as a special talent above picking ability. "That's my story an' I'm stickin' to it" - Smile
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2007 11:03 am    

Sidemen are never fully recognized except by their peers or by a small group of afficianado's who truly enjoy who it was that made the recording or play certain instruments.

I've met many people over the years that never played a note but could tell you the various players either in the road band or who were on the recording.

One other observation I've made is that people 45 years old and up tend to know what a steel is or at least is called than those below that age.

Most young people at clubs comment to me that the slide thing you play sounds cool but that's all they know.

What this says to me is that the steel unfortunately is an instrument defined by it's place in time and that time is slowly slipping away.

Edit:Dave,your original question was "What makes a good steel player" although I tended to answer the last part of your post what I think makes a good steel player is understanding what your part in the picture is and the rest is being able to play your instrument as effectively and efficiently as possible in order to fit in that picture. Beyond that, good instruction, practice and time in the saddle is what it takes to be a good player.

Last edited by Dick Wood on 17 Jan 2007 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2007 11:15 am    

Dick Wood wrote:

One other observation I've made is that people 45 years old and up tend to know what a steel is or at least is called than those below that age.

Most young people at clubs comment to me that the slide thing you play sounds cool but that's all they know.

What this says to me is that the steel unfortunately is an instrument defined by it's place in time and that time is slowly slipping away.

That was true prior to the ascent of Robert Randolph. Whether you like him or not, there's no denying he has brought our instrument to the attention of the younger generation.
Dave Seddon

Leicester, England.
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2007 11:31 am    

Well there you go, a stupid Welshman asking a stupid question. I still think Somewhere ther is a good answer. OK forget about the public, I'll rephrase the Question. "What makes a good Steel Player, from a Steel Players point of view," be it Speed, Tone, Technique, Style, Feeling, Effects or what???
Cheers Dave.
Mark Edwards

Weatherford,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2007 11:32 am    

Case in point, I remember hearing the steel in the music from back in the day, but that was pretty much it. Even when I decided to learn to play the steel, I couldn't have told you the difference between Buddy Emmons or Lloyd Green. I just loved what the steel brought to the table for music. When I started taking my first lessons my instructor would tell me "this is a Lloyd lick" or "this is how Buddy would have done it". Well I thought Lloyd and Buddy were the ones who invented the steel guitar or something but I soon learned all about Lloyd, Buddy, Tommy, Jimmy etc...

So unless a person is extremely into the steel guitar scene I don't think it is much thought about with the exception of how nice that or this sounds when a steel is involved. Also I have actually heard people tell me that music is not really country unless the steel is involved. I would love to turn them on to some of Buddy Emmons jazz music, I think then they would have a whole different outlook on exactly what steel brings to all kinds of music. Great topic. Thanks for posting it.
Dave Seddon

Leicester, England.
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2007 11:36 am    

Actually Dick I think you've come pretty close to answering my question.
Dave.
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2007 1:30 pm    

What makes a good steel player? A large amount of tolerance, a good sense of humor, and a deviant mind!!! JMO
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2007 1:41 pm    

To me, a really good player of any instrument is one who can figure out and play the part that is so obviously correct, after you hear them play it, for whatever music they want to play. All the great players have this, I think.
Jeff Colson

Rockford Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2007 2:05 pm    

I think when you hear a great player play fills or a solo first you don't here the sound of a hacksaw cutting across the strings and every transition be it bar motion, grips, single string moves all blend together flawlessly. Raises the Hair on the back of your neck in a good way then you say I wish I could do that !

Jeff
Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2007 2:32 pm    

Not just steel players, but any instrument...

The best players are the ones that know when NOT to play. Think of someone you know that talks constantly. Do you listen or pay attention as much as you would to someone that speaks occasionally, but says something meaningful when the time comes?

The most valuable tool in your arsenal is not your hands, but your ears. Listen with discernment, using your heart to guide your response... and music, real music, will come forth.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2007 3:07 pm    

Michael
Amen, brother.

Being a great player involves having 1. technique, 2. knowledge, and 3. the ability to know when to display, and when NOT to display, numbers 1 and 2.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2007 3:14 pm    

Well I hope I don't offend anyone by this post but I have had my fill of this. So here it goes... What makes a good steel player. A good steel player is any player who shares his love of this instrument to someone who either A. shares that love or B. has never experienced the steel guitar. Some people were given a healthy dose of musical talent from God and some weren't but regardless of the level of " goodness" you have if you share it with the world you are good. Their is no great science to this other than the basic principal's of music and how we have chose to express ourselves as a steel guitarist. No one has received a " magic Feather" that makes them fly we simpy do what we do. Further more I am more impressed with the people who take the time to talk, encourage, and spend time with us others. In other words I think more of steelers who are good people more than good steelers. I feel more like I have done my job when someone says "Scotty's a good guy" than I do when they say I am good musician. We're in this walk together and it's time we appreciated each other for who we are. I go off on these tangents every now and then but I just get tired of all the over complication of our beloved instrument. Just enjoy it and it's people. It doesn't matter who is good or what makes them good. And besides, all of the "greats" will have a different answer for their success anyway. Just enjoy your life, just enjoy the music no matter who plays it. Just enjoy each other.
Done,
Later
John Coffman

Wharton,Texas USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2007 5:15 pm    

Strong Back to move it. Strong mind, good heart. Scott said it all. Enjoy the journey, music and the people. God Bless
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2007 5:24 pm    

What makes a good steel player is the ability to play something someone else enjoys listening to.

Chet Atkins said it right. When finding that Chet was booked to back them many performers expected all sorts of marvels in the background. When Chet just picked a few simple chords they were dumbfounded. "That's all the song needs !" he used to say. We as players ourselves can appreciate technical expertise, but all the public wants is a nice tune with competent backing. In fact too much steel gymnastics is liable to make the singer feel upstaged.
Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2007 5:51 pm    

..What makes a good steel player? In a word, practice...
Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2007 11:06 pm    

In my opinion, here are some of the things that makes a good steel player. (in random order)
1. Knowledge of the neck.
2. Knowledge of the instrument, as a whole.
3. Good equiptment
4.As has been stated, knowing when NOT to play.
5.Finesse
6.Alot of self-discipline. Example...playing the lick/run/phrase/ that the song NEEDS, instead of the lick/run/phrase that you WANT to play.
7.A good "feel" for the instrument, as a whole.
8.A good ear for musical notes and over-all tone.
9.good reflexes
10.A good practice system.
If a person has all of these, he/she has a "decent" shot at becoming a good player, no matter the instrument.
Mitch
Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2007 11:46 pm    

I would also like to add good timing to my list. the list is sort of a "nuts and bolts" answer. There is also the emotional side to think about. Things like heart, a love for the instrument, desire, patients, and determination.

Mitch
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2007 12:03 am     What makes a player?

Well brother Mitch,
I believe you nailed it. I couldn't have said it better even from the south end of Covington Co.
Ernie Pollock

Mt Savage, Md USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2007 5:18 am     Wow!!

I think that dedication to practice the instrument is the answer, no practice, no improvement, I know lots of 'steel guitar owners' but very few dedicated steel guitarist.

Ernie Pollock Razz
http://www.hereintown.net/~shobud75/stock.htm
Neil Lang

Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2007 8:50 am    

After working with this instrument for over 40 yrs. I tend to think Mike D. & Herby S. came the closest to the answer for the original question. To play with taste, and know when to play it.........IS THE KEY!! After looking & listening to some recordings of myself I find I need to back off more. I am still working on it, and hope to someday overcome this problem. I play alot with just our duo, keyboards, auto rythum and steel. I feel this makes me tend to play more than I should. And it affects me when I play in a larger group.
Jeff Colson

Rockford Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2007 9:45 am    

Neil,
It is important to know when to lay out and not play to much but the problem is if your playing in a local band with maybe 3 or 4 pc when you stop playing there is hole you can drive a truck through. I think it's important to maybe sustain chords softly when your laying out in that situation, since not every band has the luxury of having a Fiddle player, Keyboard player, great Guitar Player and so on to carry the load and have a good variety.

Jeff