| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ice Storm
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2007 12:08 pm    

I got to feeling like I was part of the "Donner Party" this past weekend. We had a big ice storm. Most of Springfield has been without power for 3 days now. Some may not get power on for a couple of weeks. The Governor brought in the National Guard. My power is on, but most of of my trees are broken down. Most of Springfield looks like a tornado went through. Thousands of people are in shelters.
Al Miller

Waxahachie Texas
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2007 12:32 pm    

kieth ,
i saw on the news where you guys were gettin hammerd... lisa and i are thinking of you folks and hope all is well that can be .. Bob hempker has been checking on our house in branson while we are in california.. we havent heard any news from him but no news is good i guess Smile.. the volume pedal lisa bought for me is wonderful I love the feel and the tone .. we will be home sometime around the end of feb and i will look you up and we can have a cup of coffee...
Boo Miller
Dana Stewart

Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2007 1:52 pm    

Hey Keith. Sorry to hear you guys got the bad ice. I thought it looked like Springfield got it according to the news reports. I hope all our friends there have heat other than electric heat.

Here in Mulberry, KS. we got the sleet. About 4 inches of it total. Austin and Dalton have been having a blast in it. It looks like snow on the ground, but when you step out on it, it's hard like ice. You can sled anywhere in the yard. Like God gave us our whole yard as our own personal ice skating rink.

Dana
Dave Grothusen

Scott City, Ks
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2007 2:12 pm    

Kieth, you would not remember me but I met you at a Jeff Newman seminar in Blue Springs back in the 70's maybe 80's. Bruce was still poking his nose under every guitar that came by the way. You were hauling your gear in a van that needed to be hoed out in the worst way. Bill Jobes was a younger man than he is now. Right? We all were.
I am in western Kansas. Just went though 10 days without power due to ice. You guys got the next wave. Tough row to hoe.
I have one of your volume pedals. Love it. Thanks.
Hope you all get though this icy mess.
I will introduce myself the next time I run into you at a show.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2007 4:30 pm    

Keith, I still have a daughter and son in KC, MO.

But, now you see why I moved to Florida when I retired in 96. It's been 80 degrees the last couple of days and supposed to be 80 again tomrorrow. Wednesday it's going to "cool down" to 76.....

Along with the cold weather and snow, I had enough of the ice storms and being without electricity for a week.
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2007 4:35 pm     Ice

We got some of the ice here in North Texas but nothing compared to those north of us. I figure any ice is too much. It is all melted on the roads now but still is pretty cold.
John Rickard

Phoenix (It's A Dry Heave) AZ
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2007 4:45 pm     WILD RIDE!

We were driving to Odessa Texas when the ice storm hit! Tour bus & truck with equipment trailer! We made it but it was a white knuckle ride!
JR

http://www.myspace.com/johnrickard

http://www.myspace.com/harrylugeandhaywire

Last edited by John Rickard on 15 Jan 2007 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2007 4:59 pm    

Hey Keith, Keep playin' those hot licks and melt that ice!! We were about like Paul in Gainesville, TX, Durant pretty much dodged the bullet on this one, too. I remember doing ice damage in Springfield back in '87--'88 about, I guess it was. (I am am an arborist by trade) We'd climb to the top of trees roping out storm damage. As far as the eye could see in every direction, EVERY tree was peeled like a 'nanner. Just sickening. Hope ya'll ain't that bad again.
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2007 5:58 pm    

All is well in Branson, thirty miles south of Keith's house.
We have had two days of steady rain, but it quit today about the time the thermometer dipped below the freezing mark. No ice to speak of. Sometimes you get lucky.
Keith, if I can help let me know, OK buddy?
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2007 11:46 pm    

Keith, this is what Buffalo went through in October. It is amazing the amount of damage these ice stoems can do. We got here also but not as bad as you.
Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2007 3:06 am    

Keith - Sorry about the tree loss man-- somehow Pea Ridge just got the outskirt of it like Branson. There was extensive damage all around us here, as close as Bella Vista , 5 miles away. Now we're faced with a few days of VERY VERY cold temperatures for here--- single digit lows. Good luck with clean up. Bill.
Kirk P Dighton

Troy Mills, Iowa
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2007 6:05 am    

KEITH.........HOLD ON MAN! IF YOU REALLY GET THAT HUNGRY......JUST LET US IOWANS KNOW AND WE'LL SEND A TRUCKLOAD OF BEEF DOWN TO YA ALONG WITH SOME BBQ CHARCOAL!!! Wink

Stay warm.
Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2007 8:30 am    

After Hurricane Rita we were without power for seven days and were miserable from the heat. I can't imagine how it must be for those without heat in the ice storms. Just hope everyone survives.
David Cobb

Chanute, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2007 8:22 pm    

Thick layer of ice (packed sleet with drizzle afterwards) on the ground here and bitterly cold too, but the trees and power lines were spared this time.
The storm we had in '03 was like Keith described: power out, trees severely damaged, Natl. Guard was essential to help clean up.
Hang in there, it will get better.
David Tunnell

Marshfield, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2007 6:15 am    

Keith,

We got a big dose of ice up in Marshfield, too. My wife and I have been very lucky. Our power has never gone off. But we are the only house on our block to have power; I don't know why that is.

My wife's parents and my parents live out in the country, and they have all been without power since Friday night. Since they are on wells, no power means no water, too. But, it is supposed to get up about to about 30 degrees today. Hopefully the sun will melt a lot of it and we can make some progress toward normalcy.
Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 17 Jan 2007 7:35 am    

Very Happy My moter and sister could not get out of their drive way, and no one could get to them, because of downed trees. My boy and I went with a chain saw and cleared their drive, so a vehicle could go in and out. As of yesterday, a lot of the streets in Springfield were still blocked, and half the traffic signal lights still did not work. A lot of people on wells don't have water because there is no power to operate pumps. News was, 25 thousand still without power in Springfield, down from a high of 75 thousand. Most of the ice still remains on the trees and is not supposed to start thawing until thrusday--which is tomorrow. I think at this point the "Donner Party" got tired of eating shoe leather, and had a rump roast. As for me, I am just trying to keep my 3 dogs an 4 cats fed and warm.
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2007 5:39 pm     COLD

James Morehead up in Durant, Oklahoma once stated he would crawl on his belly backwards to see Tom Morrell and his band. In this weather James, you would be sliding backwards. We woke up this morning with a surprise, sleeting and very light snow. The roads are clear but it still very cold and more is in the forecast.
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2007 7:07 pm    

I played in the ice in my truck in the school parking lot on the way home Saturday night. I never did get it to make more than a full turn but it was still fun. So much fun that I did it again the next two days.

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jack Musgrave

Springfield, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2007 2:13 am    

our power came on last night. needless to say we have been celebrating. we have had no power and no water since last Sat. plus inlaws staying with us because we have a wood stove. its been a rough week, but things are looking up.
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2007 8:01 am    

Hey all good to hear everyone is surviving the blast. We have lost power but for not very long. My heart goes out to a lot of small towns in our area that are suffering. Buffalo Mo is having an awful time and is comprised of a lot of elderly folks. They have all ready lost two people to a propane heater and carbon monoxide poisoning. Small towns around are area are the last ones to get power which is making it hard on our rural people. Our prayers go up for all the folks who are setting in the cold!
Cabin fever has been our worst problem but I get to play tonight YEAHHH!!! Maybe that will help. I will like it cause it gets me out of the house for a while and Teresa will like it cause it gets me out of the house for awhile hehehehehe
Stay warm you all!!!!!
Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 19 Jan 2007 9:56 am     Many people still without power

I heard on the news today that every motel room in Springfield is full. Storm chasing crimals are invading Springfield. All types of scam artists. Besides tree and brush removal, a home owner must have their weather head fixed by a contractor before the electric company will hook them up. The Attorney General is looking into price gouging by people selling stuff like Generators,Propane, Heaters,Gas, and Kerosene. There were reports that Gas and Kerosene was selling for $1.00 to $2.00 over the normal price. Nothing really surprises me anymore. Jack Musgrave and Scotty Henerson, I want to warn you guys that I have a new single neck Emmons with 3 pedals and 5 knee levers. It has a George L TW pickup. It has a "KILLER" sound. Beware boys--- because I will be playing this Emmons at the Shows we attend. Thought I would warn you guys, so you don't have a heart attack.
John Daugherty

Rolla, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2007 11:39 am    

My home was without power for 3 days, my business for 4 days. By monday, you couldn't find kerosene. coleman fuel or small bottles of propane in Rolla. Some kerosene was available tuesday.
It's times like this, that helps you to appreciate the little things in life. "If you want to see the sunshine, you gotta stand a little rain".
I just keep on keepin on ........... JD
Luke Morell

Ramsey Illinois, USA Hometown of Tex Williams
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2007 5:58 pm    

I seen what ya'll are going through in Mo. I drive a truck and deliver to hardware stores and lumberyards starting in Sullivan, Rolla through Bolivar and in between then to Joplin on Mondays and Tuesdays. Some of my stores where closed because of no power. Looked like a war zone, hope all is getting better.
Rick Nicklas

Verona, Mo. (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2007 9:31 am    

Keith... 9 days without electricity here in Pleasant Ridge, Mo. What a mess everything is !!! 9 days of staring at my wife's glaring face over a coleman lamp. I don't know how the pioneers did it.
Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2007 10:03 am    

Hi Everybody,

Well it was probably the worst Ice Storm that ever hit this area! Like Keith said they called in the National Guard in the area and the Red Cross came and helped out. Many of the area churches opened their doors and still have shelters set up there for those without power, water, etc.

I bought my first chainsaw and spent two days sawing up trees and limbs in my yard then spent a whole day working on my mother's yard until it started snowing so hard Saturday afternoon, we had to quit. What I noticed all around and including in my own yard were large trees that were actually so top heavy with ice that they pulled/uprooted out of the ground. I had one tree that I really liked next my house that I had to extract and saw it up. It was loose the tree or repair the roof on our house, and we just had our house re-roofed last summer.

The old timers say it's the worst they've ever seen. It actually snapped electric line poles off here in Webster county. One person said there were 27 poles that broke into in Webster county. My sister lives in the next county over and they got hit harder there.

Speaking of vandelism and rip-off artists. there was someone going through our neighborhood and ask these old people a few doors down from us for $800 to clean their yard up. I would like to find those people. We are trying to help our neighbors out.

May GOD bless!

Terry Wood