| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New to forum
Phill Morris

South Wales, UK
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2007 9:01 am    

Hello everyone.
I am a newbie to the forum and to playng steel guitar , and I have a coupla questions for you all.
Firstly I have a pedal steel with a name of Thinline mark I on it .. made in Michigan . Does anyone know of any history of this machine . It is a ten string with one knee lever and three pedals.
I have set the guitar up .. as it was a bit of a wreck when I got it ( even had some nylon strings on it ) .. but I am unsure as to what the pedals are supposed to do . any advise would be great.
secondly could anyone give me a contact for a UK supplier of parts for the steel as I would like to refurbish the guitar mechanics wise.
Many thanks
Phill
Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2007 9:44 am    

Very Happy Hey Phill,welcome aboard.Can't help with identifing your guitar,but Winnie Winston's book and CD is the way to start learning the steel.Complete instructions on assembly and set up.
There will be others here,more knowledgeable then I,that will be glad to assist you.Have fun my friend,you're on your way. PJ
Larry Strawn

Golden Valley, Arizona, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2007 12:01 pm    

Welcome Phil,
I can't give you any info on your steel ether, but welcome to the Forum lots of great people here! Some one will be along who can help you identify your guitar. Very Happy

Larry
Phill Morris

South Wales, UK
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2007 12:24 pm    

Thanks for the welcome guys ..
I will get some piccis up of the guitar .. only thing is .. I have modified a tad .
It was plain Beech before I started .. it now has aluminium edges and bubinga front veneer added and a veneer fretboard ( the original fell off ). I have repced the tuners with grover and improverd the wiring and jack out socket and generally cleaned and polished the guitar .
Phill
Phill Morris

South Wales, UK
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2007 12:51 pm    

well here we go
piccis as promised

I got more if anyone wants to see
Phill
Jim Gorrie

Edinburgh ~ road works congestion capital of The World.
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2007 1:01 pm    

Hi Phill, and welcome from another Brit Smile

Have you got any pics of the underside ? if they were a bit bigger than the ones above, that wouldn't hurt !
Phill Morris

South Wales, UK
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2007 1:05 pm    

Hi Jim
Forgot to mention .. the piccis are thumbnails .. click em they get bigger ( photobucket )

As you can see .. very basic underneath but works

Nice to meet you Jim.. what area of UK are you ?
I am in south wales
Phill
Phill Morris

South Wales, UK
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2007 1:06 pm    

ok so I didn't look left either .. lolol Confused
Doh!!
Phill
Jim Gorrie

Edinburgh ~ road works congestion capital of The World.
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2007 1:51 pm    

Hi Phill, from your photo (and, sorry, I didn't notice they were clickable thumbnails ! Embarassed ) it looks like your "A" pedal (furthest left as you sit at the guitar) raises(?) the 10th string;
the "B" pedal (middle) raises(?) the 6th string;
the "C" pedal raises(?) the 5th string;
and the knee lever looks like it lowers the 4th string.

So, you've really got a bit less than half going on under there than you'll need just for a basic set-up to get you playing - assuming that you're looking to be playing E9 stuff ?
I think you're right about intending to get the mechanics upgraded a bit. Ronnie Bennett from the Liverpool area may be able to help you with some stuff, but I'm afraid I don't even have his phone number, but I expext some other Brits will come in here and help with that.
You could also contact Gerry Hogan ~ here's a link to Gerry's website > > >
http://www.hoganmusic.co.uk/
Phill Morris

South Wales, UK
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2007 2:11 pm    

yep .. you're right about what the pedals do .. and I've been watching some dvds to learn from .. and they are teaching stuff my guitar wont do , so getting a little frustrated at mo .
I can get a reasonable tune out of it but not the harmonies I want 3rds and 5ths only but only in lower chords not the higher tones as the a pedal only ups the low b (10th ) string up a tone and should be doing ( I think ) string 5 also .
I do have the capabilities to build whatever is needed underneath to make it work .. I just need the parts and a little guidance.
Essentially the guitar is good and has most of the basic requirements ( strings .. pickup and a coupla pedals lol ) but not much more .
It was cheap tho £250 quid on ebay.. but as you can see I have improved the look a bit .
Thanks for the info Jim .. already spoken to hogans music and he is most helpful.
Phill
Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2007 4:03 pm    

Very Happy Phill,if that axe plays and sounds anywhere near as good as it looks,you got a keeper for sure.PJ
Barry Gaskell

Cheshire, UK
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2007 4:12 pm     Ron Bennett

Hi Phil
Welcome to the forum from another new Forum member from the UK
I'm up in Cheshire.
Ron Bennetts number is 051 608 4562. He's a great guy and will help all he can.
Best Regards
Barry
Phill Morris

South Wales, UK
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2007 9:13 am    

Hi Guys
Thanks for all the comments ..most helpful indeed.
Yes PJ it does have a good sound and I will be keeping it as I have spent quite a bit of time sprucing it up to look like that .. next project is to make the mechanics as good.
Phill