| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GL-SS pickup
Mitch Adelman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2007 9:08 am    

I've been reading about a george L pickup (GL-SS) that isn't quite as dark as his 10-1. On his site it says it has more bite( I guess highs) and not as dark as the GL 10-1. I listen to the sound files on Carter site and they sound just as described. Between a 10-1 and E-66 (or EON which is not as bitey). That's the sound I'm thinking about but no one on searches of this forum seems to be using the GL SS (stainless steel rails) pickup. Is there a specific reason why not? I can't imagine George making a bad pickup. I have read about players who say the GL 10-1 is too dark for their steel and it seems the GL-SS would be a good choice. I like the E-66 but is a bit sharp for me and the 10-1 is a tad too dark. Any GL-SS users out there? Thanks folks!
Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2007 12:52 pm    

Hi! Mitch, I like the sound of the Eon. Brad Sarno voiced a positive opinion about this pickup as well. If you look at the Carter site, they describe the pickup different than the folks at George L do. Carter says the Eon sounds like a 10-1 but with more highs and midrange. I would have to agree with them. I put one on my Zum and it sounded real good for a humbucker. Very clean and full at the bottom and the highs were not harsh. Good luck.
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2007 12:02 am     Pick ups

I tried a 10-1 SS on a new Fessy recently. S-10 w/ 1/2 pad. Now when I order Fessenden's, that's the p/u I order for them. The 10-1 SS really shines when your out playing clubs and etc., in a large room. It's the best sounding p/u I heard in a while. To me personally, it's the next level past the 10-1, which is also a great p/u. I believe a lot of the sound/tone from guitars come from the way each one is built. I'm referring to the way a changer may be mounted and the way the cabinet is constructed. Getting back on the topic, I prefer the 10-1 SS. Thanks.
Mitch Adelman

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2007 6:42 am     GL-SS pickup

Hi Billy,
Thanks for your reply about the pickup. I agree and think the GL-SS (which is the same pickup as the 10-1 with stainless steel blades: more bite) is a great pickup and is underrated. I also play alot of clubs and need a pickup to cut through. I am glad to hear you use them in such a fine steel as the Fessie and i'm sure it will sound great in my carter as the 10-1 is a tad too dark.
Dan Sliter

Dardanelle,Arkansas
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2007 7:18 am     10-1 SS

I had the 10-1 SS pickups put om my new Rains and it shines.
It's not harsh on the ears it just shines.I am glad in got the 10-1 SS pickups on it. Laughing
Morton Kellas

Chazy, NY, USA 1
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2007 12:25 pm    

I love to experiment, I may give one of these pickups a test drive.
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2007 3:28 pm    

I have SS pickup in my D10 Rains and have no thoughts of changing them out. I like them fine.
Jerry
Ward Skinner

Mission, TX * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2007 3:44 pm    

I chose the SS pup for my Carter after listening to the sound clips numerous times, the SS was my favorite..haven't been sorry.