| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How old were you when you started playing, and in what year?
Frank Montmarquet

The North Coast, New York, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2013 9:33 am    

61, last year
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2013 9:47 am    

I was about 15 years old, and an innocent in the music business. My mentors were all fiddle players who played Bob Wills music, and didn't have much respect for deviations from Western Swing.

I loved them all, and appreciated their contributions to the western swing era.

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2013 11:35 am    

I started on a GS10 push pull in 1975 at the age of 13.

Foley, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2013 1:57 pm    

25 in 2011

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2013 3:01 pm    

26 in 2012. She was laying on the floor in pieces when I went to purchase a Banjo.
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2013 4:25 pm    

Aaron Jennings wrote:
...She was lying on the floor in pieces when I went to purchase a banjo.

Did you call an ambulance? Laughing Laughing Laughing
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2013 2:16 am    

I started at 43 in 2006.

Clete
Ron Kirby

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2013 8:17 am    

In 1969 I was 13 living in Pecos Texas and learning on my brother Danny's Fender pedal steel(cable). Danny was playing steel for Tommy Hooker in High school at that time. I bought MY first steel around 1971 in Victoria Texas. Bobby Black ordered a White MSA S-10 simi-classic from the local music center for me. I still have the bank loan papers.

Now Back to my story: Sorry! I had honey do's to do!

In Victoria Tx. 15 years of age. I walked into the music shop and there was a player,,playing a Emmons D-10-PP. Being a songwriter/steel player I was looking at the new flat tops, but my ears were hearing some super fine steel playing E9th and C6th. I wondered over and introduced myself. We shook hands and his name was Bobby Black. I asked Bobby if I could buy a Emmons like his. He replied I should take a few lessons first. We talked and I left and returned the next Saturday. This time when I came in the shop Bobby had his Emmons PP upside down in the case working on it and some-what cursing at it. He was not happy with it. Being a young fellow I stayed a distance away and watched. After several hours Bobby came over to talk. And I took a lesson- "Together Again". Afterwards I asked Bobby again! To help me buy a Emmons like his. Bobby replied! At this point I would be better off with a new S-10 MSA. I asked him? Are they good guitars? After watching him working and cursing at his own guitar, I trusted his advise and he said Yes! So we orded a white MSA Semi-Classic. I did paperwork and bought it. It was truly a fine guitar. Bobby knew I did not need a D-10 Emmmons PP at that time and did me a favor and sold me one I could learn on. (The New MSA). And I am thankful for that. He was a great teacher and friend. After a few lessons our family moved again. I never saw Bobby again. Many, Many year's later I learned that Bobby Black was inducted into the Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame.
Tommy Janiga

New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2013 5:22 pm    

I started on January 30, 2013 at age 54.

I'm a rusty old bar band multi-instrumentalist (keyboards, 6-string, fiddle, bass and more) who always wanted a pedal steel and finally got one Smile

I'm loving it and I've been lurking here for a few months, enjoying all of it. It's a tough instrument, but I can't stop thinking about it, and it feels great when I'm sitting there playing.

Roanoke, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2013 8:58 pm     Age and Date

Took my first lesson on 11/11/10 at the age of 38.

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2013 2:45 am    

Started lap steel lessons in 1963, age 9.

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2013 11:07 am    

age 20 in 1977.
GaryL

Medina, OH USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2013 2:45 pm     Whwn did I start playing steel?

Around 1972 or 1973. I was about 21 years old and started somewhat late. After listening to a lot of Lloyd Green, followed by Rusty Young, I was driven absolutely insane by Buddy Cage. And I still am!
Daniel Morris

Westlake, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2013 4:38 pm    

Age 17, senior year in high school, 1971.
Started taking lessons on lap steel - I didn't know you don't call a local music store (in Cleveland OH) and ask for pedal steel lessons. The teacher - Don Brew, to whom I will always give a bow - hated pedal steel. "Guys play with their feet". Learned how to listen and hear. Still relevant lessons to this day.
2011 Bear Creek MK Weissenborn
Milkman 40W Mini amps w/Telonics 15" speaker.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel w/TT 15" speaker.
Frenzel MB-50 head.
Spaceman, Empress, Origin, Eventide, Pigtronix.
Daniel Morris

Westlake, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2013 4:39 pm    

Age 17, senior year in high school, 1971.
Started taking lessons on lap steel - I didn't know you don't call a local music store (in Cleveland OH) and ask for pedal steel lessons. The teacher - Don Brew, to whom I will always give a bow - hated pedal steel. "Guys play with their feet". He played 6 string guitar and Hawaiian steel.

Learned how to listen and hear. Still relevant lessons to this day.
2011 Bear Creek MK Weissenborn
Milkman 40W Mini amps w/Telonics 15" speaker.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel w/TT 15" speaker.
Frenzel MB-50 head.
Spaceman, Empress, Origin, Eventide, Pigtronix.
Mark Wayne

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2013 11:12 am    

I was 12, in 1982.

Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2013 4:34 pm    

1973, I was 22
Jerry Foster

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2013 5:09 pm     beginner

I was 6 years old when I started playing acoustic guitar in 1943 & in 1978 I started playing pedal steel. it's been a wonderful trip in the world of music. I'm still learning Laughing Laughing .Jerry F.
Don Barnhardt

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 6:27 pm    

When I started playing steel I was 13 or 14 in 1949 or 1950. Can't remember
David Bolin

Harrisburg, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 7:33 pm    

I started playing when I was sixteen in 1969. My first steel was an old brush painted red double eight Multicord. I got a job so I could get a brand new ZB Custom Double Ten and a new Fender Twin Reverb with JB Lansing 130 Speakers. I learned how to play by listening and wearing out all of the Lloyd Green, Buddy Emmons, Buck Owens with Tom Brumley, and Weldon Myrick on all of the Connie Smith records that I could get my hands on. Having spent that much hard earned money I new I had to persevere.
Bernie Gonyea

Sherman Tx. 75092 ,U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 7:52 pm    

Very Happy Whoa! Rolling Eyes Laughing

I started on a small lap steel in 1952 from Carvin Guitar Co. in Ca. Had turned 17 years and joined the U.S Navy in Feb. 1952. Bought my first pedal steel in 53, which is a six string Multi-Kord guitar, 4 pedals. Still own it today. Have been a Week-end Warrior for all these years. . Cheers..Bernie
Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2013 9:14 am     Has it been that long?

I went to my first convention in 1980 I think at Park Plaza Hotel before the Clarian??. I was having anxiety problems and didnt work for a few months,A Preachers wife called me wanting to know if I needed a "Steel Guitar"?...She said I want to buy a Dinette set I saw in a dream,OK What does it look like?. I couldn't believe my ears, She described my nearly NEW Dinette set a smoked glass top velour orange seats..I said bring the steel to my apt, When I opened the door she said that is the Dinette I saw in my dream.. She left with my Dinette set I ate dinner on my little Fender that S bud made 3 flrs one knee,It came with a sho bud p a seat,Sb vol pedal,picks a bar,even a WINNIE Winston book I got LUCKY!! I even had an Old Twin Reverb:) I was 28 in 1979 I'm 62 as I write.I been steelin ever since. I got to meet my heroes most of which passed on. Speedy West, Wild Bill West,Jeff Newman, Julian Tharpe, Winnie Winston, Jimmy Day Hal Rugg, of course Big E and Doug Jernigan a really nice man! many many other greats~!! Got to play Steel for a cpl of my heroes..nothing comes close to a p steel guitar...NOTHING!
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2013 12:32 pm    

Started on homemade "PSG" in 1977 - -78 at age 24 - 25. Bought a proper PSG, a Dekley S10, around -81. Still play the same Dekley ... and a few other PSGs acquired in later years.

Don't play much anymore, but still have fun when I do.
joe wright

Jackson, Michigan
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2013 10:35 am    

It was 1963 at the age of eight. I had the choice of learning an instrument when I was 7 and I chose the steel. Kenny Leach was teaching in Michigan Center in his basement and played in a band with my step-dad. I had a choice of plectrum guitar, accordion or lap steel and I pointed to the triple neck fender.

First lesson was with 6 other students all over 30. I can remember the needle nose and the National .025 picks being bent and rammed onto your fingers. The thumb pick was large and floppy and to this day I hardly ever strum my steel because the pick would fly off. My guitar was an six string acoustic with the nut raised. A tuning.

I came back to my second lesson and of course I never opened up the sheet music. I remember asking if I could play a song for everyone. Red Roses For A Blue Lady is what I played. A month later I remember being the only one left in the class.

I played all the lessons of the Oahu method and Kenny told me he had shown me all he knew. I then starting lobbying for what had caught my ear next and it had these things hanging down. Somebody let me borrow a Fender 1000 with the Sho-Bud book I was in heaven until I broke all the third strings....joe
Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2013 3:32 pm    

Lap Steel - 1965 at 16 years old.

Pedal Steel - 1975 at 26 years old.