| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Bob please close.Thank you !!!'
Liam Sullins

Brookville, Ohio
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2022 5:59 am    

So, is it a cheaper guitar made by the *new* Hudson maker now that the business was sold? It does look good for the price.

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2022 6:10 am    

johnnie.

love what you built!! having built all sorts of instruments, i can only encourage and applaud anyone who builds something like this. the steel guitar world needs things like this.

its an optical illusion in the second pic down i think, but it looks like the legs on opposite corners are straight and the other corners are offset. yes no?

you should try a 6 string tuned EADGBE. keep 2/1 if you like. raise the B to C#. raise the G to G# and use RKR to lower the D to Db. hawk it to guitar players as a blues/rock slide pedal guitar. for this price, i bet it would sell. i think that is a market that has more potential than the pedal players who are so hung up on E9 and seeing lots of metal under the guitar and on the floor. think about not slotting the head on a 6 string. just angle the head and machine a ledge on the underside for the gears to go on. leave all the wood you can in the head for more sustain/strength. best to you and continue your building.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2022 6:12 am    

K Maul wrote:
I looked at the site. Basically a good looking product. Now the many questions and critcisms will come.

Constructive criticism is good, it's the main impetus for change and improvement. Smile I think the extended keyhead will appeal to guitar players, who will likely be the primary buyers.

I applaud anyone who's ever built a pedal steel or guitar from scratch.
Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2022 7:52 am    

Good Luck on this project Johnie!
Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2022 8:05 am    

Thank y'all
Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2022 8:10 am    

Thanks!

Last edited by Johnie King on 18 Aug 2022 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2022 8:16 am    

This appears to be something I'd be interested to buy in a 6 string version ....but....The extended keyhead off the cabinet looks odd and vulnerable to me. Would be better to chop that off and have a short keyless unit IMO. Just my observation and thoughts...but...I may be the odd man out.

I wish you good luck and much success however. This is a price point that will attract a lot of players.
Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2022 8:21 am    

Thanks !

Last edited by Johnie King on 18 Aug 2022 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2022 9:25 am    

Many kudos to you Johnie. Is this a pull/release changer or an all pull? Any pics of the undercarriage? Friendly suggestion, put more details on the website. I think you have a hit with this one.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2022 9:36 am    

Johnie King wrote:
Bill Hatcher I've opened up a can of worms here I'm just the person too contact for orders
On the Growler. Wow it's unreal this morning lots of orders too fill already.

that is absolutely fabulous!
Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2022 9:48 am    

Thanks !

Last edited by Johnie King on 18 Aug 2022 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2022 10:04 am    

if you post some close up pics of the underside, that will answer a lot of questions about the tuning possibilities. hopefully you can move the changes to whatever strings you want. non moveable is not desirable. a player needs to set up to suit and not be limited. let us know!!
Daniel Bailey

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2022 12:07 pm    

[quote="Johnie King"]Guys if I'm slow answering Pm an Emails it because I would need several phone lines an
Several people too keep up an take orders for the
New Growler !!
Plus Numerous questions like the one below !

Johnie, I love everything about this effort! Would you please remove the photo? It's easy to see Ben's contact details under the darkish highlighter.

I have had the thought of getting an S10 4x3 from Hudson, since I love my Hudson-6. Maybe this is how that happens, if this is the successor.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2022 1:22 pm    

Quote:
Johnie, I love everything about this effort! Would you please remove the photo? It's easy to see Ben's contact details under the darkish highlighter.

I love everything about this too, but I did remove the photo. I immediately noticed that I could see the contact details under the highlighter.

As far as I'm concerned, if a pedal steel is built so that

1. The tuning is very stable, and pulls go to and return from their changes solidly and well;

2. The undercarriage can be reasonably and readily reconfigured;

then it is a "professional-grade" steel to me, regardless of how many pedals and levers it has, or even how many strings it has.

There are lots and lots of different potential approaches to playing pedal steel. For some of these, a reasonably full setup makes sense, and may even be essential. For others, a minimalist configuration works just fine. And as already pointed out - a lot of great players over more than 100 years have functioned just fine without any pedals or levers, and 6-8 strings. And many fine players can do a helluvalot with a minimalist pedal/lever setup.

My concern about some of the older starter guitars like the Sidekick, Maverick, Carter Starter, and some others, was that they were not reconfigurable, stable, and/or solid. Any movement in the direction of solid, reconfigurable and more affordable pedal steels is a move forward.