| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel players who are not nice guys?
Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2008 1:05 am    

I have only met Smiley once(3 years ago) and I narrowly missed him on brodway a couple of weeks ago,
If I ever even thought it was him Tony Davis would sink Me.
Allan Thompson

Scotland.
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2008 1:59 am    

Billy, you narrowly missed Smiley. Was that in one of the cabs or were you driving !!!!!!
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2008 3:44 am    

I did say that I wouldn't add any further posts but I have to say that I met some absolute gems of people in the USA recently, and while it may be a bit unfair to single any out for special praise I feel they do need a mention.

* Maurice Anderson. Haven't see Reece for donkeys years, and he was kindness personified.
* Bobbe Seymour. He is a genuine guy and great personality with a wicked sense of humour. The highlight of my trip and worth every one of the 750 miles that I drove to see him.
* Charles and Mickey Tilley. A warm and extremely kind couple.
* David and Harry Jackson. 2 of the most interesting people that I have ever met.

* Billy & Ann Murdoch, Allan Thompson, Ted Nesbit, Paddy Long and the rest of Commonwealth Corner. Priceless people.

* Doug Jernigan. No airs and graces. Simply a great player and great person.
* Paul Franklin. Ditto
* Terry Crisp. Ditto
* Jeff Surratt. Ditto
* Herby Wallace. Ditto

Why let one person sour an otherwise great experience? I won't.
Bennie Hensley

Yakima, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2008 7:00 am     Nice Guys

Exactly what Al Marcus said....
James Cann

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2008 7:32 am    

Well, were it me, someone would have said so before this.

Whew!
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2008 8:34 am    

At the start of this thread I mentioned some of the top players I met that were SO nice,left out the main one,Mr. Seymore,Not only is he one of my favorite players[I listen to his stuff]MORE than anyone else,Bobbe and Curly,Since he got his store back from Ed years ago,have traded and bought several guitars from him,Have traded with him several times on the phone,the guitars he would send me was ALWAYS what he said they were.When I was in the area would always go by and see him,He would treat me and my little half-ass band like we were superstars,Always a PLEASURE to be around him,Anyone making their first trip to NV,go see him,will be the highlight of your trip.DYKBC.

Canada
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2008 8:40 am    

Larry Scott wrote:
Ken Byng wrote:
Larry Scott wrote:
Allan Thompson wrote:
Yes Billy, I think you and I encountered the same person. In one word ( asshole )

Still got me wondering.........

Could he have choked on a Texas size piece of meat Laughing

Getting very warm

Ooooops
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1091022&highlight=#1091022

Okay, so does this mean we know who it is now?
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2008 8:54 am     Fortunately, Nice guys outnumber.................

The wife and I attended an out of state event a few years back......
and were attracted by sounds coming over the PA System that held our attention.

An older gentleman, nicely dressed and neat in appearance, had apparently approached the celebrity star of the steel show while he was sitting at his steel checking on all the wires and stomp boxes and stuff.

The older gentlemen appeared to be in awe of this fancy pedal steel guitar and all of its periferal equipment and most likely asked the performer if he could play a specific tune, one that likely stood out in this man's memory of limited steel guitar tunes.

The STAR performer, responded with an on-going tirade of LOUD, sarcastic and insulting remarks to this lowly seminar attendee, remarks that were heard by virtually everyone in the big room. Looking about as WE did, one could readily detect the facial expressions of horror and shock among the nearly packed room.

Don't know if that STAR noticed or not, but I can testify that nearly 1/3 to 1/2 of those in the audience got up and left the room. We, of course, were among them.

No idea what this steel player tho't he was doing but he sure left a sour taste in the mouths of a lot of folks that had paid to be present. That clearly, is one reason I WILL NEVER request a tune from a band. Too many times, I've witnessed members of this band or that, mouthing off for all to hear about their disgust over the song that was requested by a member of the paying audience. On occasion, these inexcusable outbursts from a band are accompanied by the usual flurry of drums and rim shots.

This addresses an issue that, altho' unpleasant, is a sad, reoccurring reality in the music world. Not all steel players, are "nice guys"..........
Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2008 9:00 am    

I can hardly believe someone would act that way. The few times I get hired to play out I understand that I'm there to bring in patrons. The more I bring in, the better I've done my job. Public relations is definitely a part of what we all should be doing. That guy may have been a star. But he was a worse hack than I.

Canada
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2008 9:02 am    

There is no excuse for being rude to a member of the audience if he or she approaches respectively and requests a song. The ones that saunter right up onto the stage, spill half their beer on the floor, and demand a song are the ones that get lambasted by me - on the mic.

I prefer that people just let an act do their show instead of requesting songs. Too often there's a power trip associated with a request. They ask for an overdone song, and then chink the glasses with their buddies when you play it, saying, "Look, the band is doing what I told them. I am so cool." Also, I would never approach a player while he or she is tuning or otherwise preparing for a musical performance. It's akin to approaching a dog that's negotiating a big hambone. You don't wanna break their concentration.

I know what you're saying, Ray, but sometimes audience members can be downright inconsiderate as well, albeit in a more passive manner.
Ben Jones

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2008 9:09 am    

It wasnt a request for "Freebird" was it?
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2008 9:54 am    

You know it was, Ben! Laughing
Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2008 12:06 pm     Re: Steel players who are not nice guys?

[quote="Billy Murdoch"] I have been at Dallas four times for the TSGA show and We recently visited Nashville.

Billy, give us a hint... Was this encounter in Nashville or at the recent Dallas show?
Danny Bates
Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2008 12:28 pm    

Danny,
I did make it clear more than once that this was MY opinion,It is very possible that I have misjudged the person in the title,I have been wrong before in my assessment of personality(First Wife Laughing )
I did not intend for this to develop into a "guess who"game.
As I said before I am very pleasantly amazed that I have had reservations about only one player,having met so many steel players.I would even extend this by including all members of this great Forum.Of the members posting here I would have difficulty naming any I do not consider to have a pleasing personality.
This has been a fun post and I hope everyone has enjoyed it without reading too much into it.
I have no wish to offend anyone.
Keep smiling
Billy
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2008 2:30 pm    

Billy, people under pressure often behave in an different manner then they would otherwise, I would assume that this person was under a fair amount at the time, Time will tell..JR (not from Dallas)