| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Renamed: Losing the C pedal (second thoughts)
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2024 7:19 am    

The jury is back in....

I miss the C pedal more than I expected to.

BUT: I have learned that I want that change (raising 5 & 6); there's so much it gives me.

My KLs are already spoken for, all except LKV, which has been a 'floater' for me. I may restore the C pedal (yes, I know: 'We told you so!' Smile ) and assign that 5/6 raise to either LKV or to pedal 8 (P7 might be better; it only has two pulls now).

I'm intrigued by Stephen's 'raising the 9th' suggestion.

I'm now wondering just how attached I am to the 7,2,1 raise (my LKL2). That's the closest thing to a 'lick pedal' that I have, even if it does permit some nice voicings.

(While all this is going on, I am still practicing; in the end, that's what yields results. Smile )
Andrew Frost

Toronto, Ontario
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2024 9:07 am    

FWIW, I have that string 6 G# - A# raise on its own, right beside the A pedal. For me its a zero pedal. Combined with the B-C# on the A pedal it does the whole tone raise of 5 & 6.
I find it to be a little more versatile that way, as a single raise or combined with the A pedal. Does a plethora of things, as well a nice unison with 5 lowered to Bb if you have it. Food for thought.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2024 9:57 am    

Andrew:

That's a possibility. I could take my 6+9-lower off P4 and put it on LKV; then, just have the G#-A# on P4.

Years ago, I had that as a solitary pull but, for some reason, it got dumped for something else.

I do now feel as though ditching pedal C was a touch hasty. I love my new P4 but, as you say, put it adjacent to the A pedal (my P3) and it's far more versatile.

It's Murphy's Law: just when I told myself "I hardly ever play the B+C pedals together", I now wish I had it again.

Your suggestion, Andrew, is more efficient. (And yes, I do have B-Bb lower and it's very much used!)
Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2024 1:19 pm    

After looking at your copedent It just dawned on me that P1 would be a really cool place for string 7 and 1 F#-F. It works really well together with your LKL E's to Eb changing the m7 voicing usually found there into a m6th voicing.

My JCH D10 have the E9 7th string F#-F on the P4(C6 both A's to B) so I can use it together with LKR(E's to Eb)). I ditched the 1st string lower as it made the pedal too stiff since it works on both necks.

B.Erlandsen
Pat Chong

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2024 2:03 pm    

Hi Roger,

A thought: moving pedal 4's operation to RKR, to string 6 or 7. (Although a lever moving 6 strings, might be too stiff....)

Anyway, it would free up pedal 4 for the A# move and for it's use with your A pedal (or you might use one of your higher pedals to use the change with both the A or B pedals). It will also allow you to re-install pedal "C".

I, too, have E > F#, but on a pedal, I needed the faster change. However my C pedal still is used...............Pat
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2024 2:27 pm    

Thanks, guys....

Pat:
Right now, not only do I have five pulls on RKR: it's quite a long throw dropping my 10th to A (love that change!) and, on C6th, raising both As the whole-step to B. Right now, that KL is far easier to use than I deserve (thanks, Junior!) so I'm loathe to add anything more to it.

Here's how I now think I'm going:

Restoring the C pedal: that's done.

P4's changes (lowering 6 and 9) will go to LKL2.
P4 will then raise the 6th to A# (adjacent to my A pedal for raising 5 and 6).

LKL2's changes - 1,2,7 raise - will go on my LKV. Now, with the extender, that's a breeze to engage so I anticipate no issues with that assignment.

I want to raise 9 and 2 a half-step each; I'm 'out' of KLs, so two new rods for P7 will cover that nicely (I'd use P8, but that has four pulls now). It's only an occasional change and can be two-footed without losing any options.

I have my fingers crossed that I don't do something to spoil the fine work that's just been carried out on my terrific guitar.