| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Name Band Steelers from the 60’s era still living
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2023 11:39 am    

Jack Hanson wrote:
A show I'll never forget, after my high school-aged son, after a couple tunes, looked over at me and commented "so that's how that thing you play is supposed to sound."

Good grief, just kill me now. Rolling Eyes
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2023 1:58 pm    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Donny Hinson wrote:
Gary Carter, Wally Murphy, and Sneaky Pete Kleinow are a few more I can think of, but there are probably a couple of others.

The question asked just about those who are still living so, great as he was, Sneaky Pete unfortunately no longer qualifies.

Oh wow! My bad, Jimbo; totally forgot about that. Embarassed

Okay, how 'bout this...I'll trade you a Santo Farina and a James Burton for the Sneaky Pete Kleinow?

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2023 2:10 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:

Okay, how 'bout this...I'll trade you a Santo Farina and a James Burton for the Sneaky Pete Kleinow?

Well, I certainly don’t want to set myself up as the policeman for this conversation but I will say that while I have seen one photograph of James Burton sitting at a steel guitar, I have never heard a single note he has ever played on one and his reputation is certainly not based on his steel guitar abilities.
George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2023 2:46 pm    

I don't count as someone in the big time but Doyle Grisham and I were playing together in 1956-57 at the VA Hospital in Temple Tx for the disabled Veterans, one of which included my Uncle.

We also played in a Texas band together from 1960 until July of 61. Of course we were only teenagers but we were having fun. Probably that disqualifies him for this post because he didn't start playing steel until about 1961 when he moved to Dallas area. By then I was in the USAF.

We remain friends to this day and talk quite often.

George
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2023 3:53 pm    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Donny Hinson wrote:

Well, I certainly don’t want to set myself up as the policeman for this conversation but I will say that while I have seen one photograph of James Burton sitting at a steel guitar, I have never heard a single note he has ever played on one and his reputation is certainly not based on his steel guitar abilities.

Well, he did play some Dobro on two of Rick Nelson's albums, but I'm not sure about any recorded pedal steel that he did. However, there was a post a short while back by Ricky Davis, who said that he had done a session with James, and James sat down at Ricky's Sho~Bud and played some great stuff.

Feel free to push back anytime, Jimbo! We need accuracy here, not blind affirmation. Cool
Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2023 3:55 pm    

Jerry Murhar. He played for Loretta Lynn and Stonewall Jackson amoung others. I talked to him last night. He's 80 and drives truck OTR from Winnepeg to Miami and back.
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2023 4:21 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Well, he did play some Dobro on two of Rick Nelson's albums...

James also played the simple but tasty and extremely effective Dobro part in Richie Furay's exquisite A Child's Claim To Fame on Buffalo Springfield Again, circa 1967.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inKBgmFy6oo

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=3114700&sid=5bebba4ec541c66945ce268bf98d1fa4

FC Hall made an endorsement deal with Oz Nelson for the boys to play Rics. Probably didn't work out quite as well as his arrangement with the Fab Four a few years later.
Joseph Napolitano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2023 7:10 pm    

Jim Vest.
Bob Tuttle

Republic, MO 65738
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2023 7:42 pm    

I toured with Ray Price and Claude Gray in 1967. I'm still alive and pickin'.
David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2023 9:04 am    

I would say Barbara Mandrell qualifies. She was with the Mandrells playing steel in the 50's and 60's when she was knee high to a grasshopper and not only famous but later became a TV superstar.
David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2023 9:09 am    

Bob Tuttle wrote:
I toured with Ray Price and Claude Gray in 1967. I'm still alive and pickin'.

Yes you were Bob and one of the best the music business ever had. You always amaze me on whatever instrument you chose to play. Randy Prince and I payed tribute to your talent for an hour shortly before Randy's untimely death while he was with Gene Watson. Randy was worried about me having leukemia and he was killed before I could get out of the hospital. Definitely a changing of the guards since the 1960's.
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2023 9:42 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Donny Hinson wrote:

I have a record of Jimmy Wakely Jr. that was produced by James. One can hear his guitar playing plainly, but also splashes of steel. I can imagine it was also him.

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2023 9:45 am    

Jack Hanson wrote:

James also played the simple but tasty and extremely effective Dobro part in Richie Furay's exquisite A Child's Claim To Fame on Buffalo Springfield Again, circa 1967.

OK I’ll buy that then. I imprinted onto that song back in the day.