| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Keys of songs modified to accommodate the guitar player?
Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2013 5:35 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:

I hate the song so much that I have no desire to hear it, no matter what key.

How many chick singers does it take to sing "Crazy"?
All of them.

This thread brings back fond memories of backing up Roni Stoneman, where everything was in G.
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Sean Borton

Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2013 6:00 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
I have to disagree with those who think that changing keys takes away anything from the song, especially emotion.

Richard: If this was directed toward my post (or partially) I just wanted to clarify my view. I am certainly not saying it "takes away" the emotion, I'm saying it "can change" the emotion of the song. Sometimes for the better, and sometimes not...
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2013 7:01 pm    

Wasn't really directed at anyone.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 24 Nov 2013 7:03 pm    

Cal Sharp wrote:
Richard Sinkler wrote:

I hate the song so much that I have no desire to hear it, no matter what key.

How many chick singers does it take to sing "Crazy"?
All of them.

This thread brings back fond memories of backing up Roni Stoneman, where everything was in G.

Well, that would let me out. I can't play in G.

EDIT: Managed to get down enough of Patsy Cline singing "Crazy". She does it in Bb and I'm sure that's why all girl singers sing it in Bb. Yup, girl singers always like to be flat. Laughing
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 10:03 am     Great post!

I've viewed all these posts with great interest.

If'n the steel player plays only in C-Diatonic or C#min., what does he do if one of these cover songs should be the focus of everyones' attention?

Should he just sit out?
Should he carry an extra guitar for that selection?
Should he reject the entire gig?

WHAT should he do?

I was always under the impression that the steel and lead guitar were there to enhance the vocalist, regardless of what song is up. How is that they should be selecting the key when it's the singers' voice that has specific limitations?

The story has been told and repeated: So what if you do make a mistake on the band=stand.......No one will ever notice it anyway or even remember it.
How is a change of keys up or down the neck gonna be noticed by the audience?
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 10:10 am    

Thought about this some more....If you're going to do a professional-sounding cover at the local joint for people who like country music because it's the sound track of the workin' man's life,best to get it sounding just like
what said workin' man(and the women who love him)heard on the juke box.

That includes getting it in the original key,original licks,et cetera.Someone who doesn't play might not consciously notice a key substitution,he just won't think it sounds like what he heard on the jukebox,or the radio,or from a cover band who makes their music the audience's rather than making their music their own....

All that said,I got to rummaging around on Youtube for covers that DID take liberties with the original:Jim Ed Brown does "Pop A Top" in E,Alan Jackson in G with a a delicious instro not in the original that ends with a whole-step key raise.Jim Ed's version is great,but Alan's is quintessential honky-tonk.Another one: Merle did "White Line Fever" in C,the (Rick Roberts-fronted)Flying Burrito Bros in D.Makes it heavier-sounding,plus the FBB changed up the progression in the refrain,making it much stronger.I REALLY would have liked to hear Merle do this tune with the FBB arrangement-or maybe even with them backing him.

Point is it's very possible to alter a tune to make it better than the original.That is not at all the same as dumbing it down to suit a singer or player's limitations relative to that tune.The(very)last time I played six string for another steeler,he decided he wanted to sing Jackson's version of "Pop A Top".In B flat.

Fail.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 10:23 am    

Dave, I may be in the minority, but I'd rather hear a band put something of themselves into it, rather than try to recreate what Paul, Brent and Hank Singer (and crew) did ONCE (or maybe three times) in the studio, and probably wouldn't do it that way again. If I wanted to hear the record, I'd buy the damn record.
Just heard some bits of "Foreverly", the new record by Norah Jones and Billie Whoever from Green Day. They recreated the track list of "Songs Our Daddy Taught Us," but did them their own way (including getting the tempi of "Barbara Allen" and "Silver Haired Daddy" closer to what most folks have done). Sounds like a great album. It appears to have respected both the mid-century album and the much older origins of the songs at the same time.
I don't think that bar bands should be under any greater restrictions (although audience pressure can sometimes cause a reversion to the hit).
Obviously the same doesn't hold true for "tribute bands", but they aim at a different target. I don't think I'd want to be in a tribute band, not even a Ernest Tubb or Ray Price tribute band.
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 10:40 am    

Quote:
How is a change of keys up or down the neck gonna be noticed by the audience?

Ray, I think Dave gave a good reply to that:
Quote:
Someone who doesn't play might not consciously notice a key substitution,he just won't think it sounds like what he heard on the jukebox,or the radio,or from a cover band who makes their music the audience's rather than making their music their own....

I used to have a friend who could sing everything in the original key, even stuff from the Hollies. How I envied him.
Roger McGuinn turns his guitar down a half-step nowadays.

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 11:02 am    

Lane,I'd think you're in the majority.Here at home,that is,where we all play,and some of us SGF'ers actually record those studio parts that the bar band players cover(me,I've always been in the latter group,never the former Winking).It's true that Brent,PF,et al may well have played those parts only a time or two while they were tracking,but the artists' road bands will play those parts-as recorded-hundreds if not thousands of times,often through any number of complete personnel turnovers.OK,it is cool for folks like us to take a busman's holiday and appreciate what an ensemble of really good players can do with a song,but players on that level can,when they need to,produce what the customer heard on the jukebox.I do like what you said about audience pressure,though.Legally we're self-employed,but in the end the consumer is who we do work for.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 11:17 am    

But the bottom line is, if you want to work, you will play the song as best you can IN THE SINGER'S KEY. If not, you will probably just be staying home and playing to Band-In-a-Box.

Also, I don't think many (if any) in the audience gives a damn if you don't do it in the same key as the record. I've been doing this for over 40 years, and have NEVER had someone come up and complain that the song was not in the same key as the record.

Am now listening to the Buck Owens recorded version of "Together Again" On YouTube. It's in C#. How many times have you backed a singer that did the song in C#. The singer in my band that does this song does it in G. I still do all the signature licks. Sure it may sound higher in pitch. But no one has ever said anything about the different key. Every band I have played in (that I can remember) always did it in G (and maybe C, but I don't remember ever playing it in C). And although there are several songs that have to have the signature licks, there is also a lot of room for me to add my stuff.

And remember, it is not your job to like the song (or key change). It's your job to play the song as best as you can to compliment the singer. There's about a half dozen, or more, songs that my classic country band does, that I hate with a passion. But, I am being paid to play the song, not to like it, and have to do my best, even with signature licks.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 11:31 am    

I think it makes more of a difference where in the singer's range they're at. Because if you're stretching to hit those notes, either at the top or bottom, you're gonna sound like that. I can sing Cal Smith in Cal's key, but I'm gonna croak 'em. If you want it to sound kinda like I'm in Cal's kinda zone, you're coming up a third (but I sing kinda high; I think Lane Turner puts "Little Book of Matches" somewhere between E and G and I have to do it in A, and I do Crazy Arms in A. I can do it in Ray's key's, but I sound like Clarence Henry doing it)
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 11:47 am    

John Billings wrote:
Some tipsy gal gets on stage and wants to sing "Crazy" in Bb? I turn to the band and signal A. Works every time.

I can't resist....The Patsy Cline version of "Crazy" IS in Bb.

EDIT: Richard,you're right in the context that what in the rock and roll world is viewed as a (sometimes forthright) exchange of musical views is viewed in the country world as termination-level insubordination.It's true that we most often work for the singer we have rather than the one we want. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Dave Hopping on 25 Nov 2013 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 11:51 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:

Am now listening to the Buck Owens recorded version of "Together Again" On YouTube. It's in C#. How many times have you backed a singer that did the song in C#.

Richard,

I am not a pro, so take this for what it's worth (not much). But I happen to be a pedal steel player who also sings with a vocal range about like Buck Owens. When I do this on my MSA Classic with no vertical knee, I have to do it in C# to play the solo the way Tom Brumley did. But when I play it on my ETS guitar with vertical knee, I can do it in C.

Like I said, for what it's worth, maybe someone will find this interesting.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 11:57 am    

Even though I do have the B to Bb on a pedal on my guitar, I never use it to play Together Again. I do like Brumley originally did and slide back one fret and hit the B pedal.

Tommy... You are a classic example of what we are talking about. You do it in C# because that is where your vocals lie. If I was hired to back you up, I better be able to play that song in your key.

And, never be afraid to say what you think of feel on here. I read everything, even if I don't agree. Your word is just as important as anyone else.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 12:13 pm    

I'm trying to get my head around the notion that a singer is somehow inferior because their vocal range differs from that of the original artist!!

It's a good song? Okay, let's do it and let's find a key that's comfortable for whoever's doing the vocal. That way everyone wins, especially the listening audience.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 12:26 pm    

We NEED TO be able to play in any key. Period. As has been already mentioned, different singers have different ranges, and we need to accommodate them.

This is not negotiable.
Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 12:26 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Happens often. Sometimes to placate the guitar player, but most often the singer. We do "C'est La Vie" in D. I have had singers/bands play in keys more suited for me. One is "Look At Us". The drummer sings it and Eb is too high for him. He lowered it in D (but really wanted to go to Db), which makes the intro lick have to use a slide down to open strings and sounds horrible. I had to figure out a way to play that A7 chord without having to slide off the strings. He also does "Crazy" in F which both the guitar player and I hate (well I would hate it in any key - I hate the song).

I play "Crazy" on my D8 Stringmaster in F in a C6 tuning with a high G. The only slants I make are for the diminished chords. I play it in A on my C6 neck of my pedal steel with a LOT of pedals and knee levers (that's the key our chick singer sings it in). It's amazing what you can do without pedals. My C6 tuning on pedal steel is one I got from Buddy Emmons' basic C6 book.
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8
Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 12:27 pm    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
We NEED TO be able to play in any key. Period. As has been already mentioned, different singers have different ranges, and we need to accommodate them.

This is not negotiable.

Agreed, Mike.
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 12:28 pm    

It may sound a little harsh, Mike, but if one is unable at accompany someone in the key of their choice then that calls into question one's professional capabilities.
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 12:44 pm    

Roger Rettig wrote:
It may sound a little harsh, Mike, but if one is unable at accompany someone in the key of their choice then that calls into question one's professional capabilities.

Indeed so.Much like a cover singer who can't replicate the original key...The boss is always right,but the boss often comes up short in the "professional capabilities" department,which makes it part of our professional requirement to(as Grandma used to say)"put a big smile on your face and keep your mouth shut".
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 12:53 pm    

My point, Dave, is that the chosen key is dependant on a singer's range.

Who's better - Paul McCartney or Paul Robeson? Smile

Just because a singer can't repicate the original key it doesn't make them inferior - just different. Neither does it mean that they shouldn't attempt the song - it's only pop music, after all.

(Of course, they may also be inferior - that's a whole 'nuther matter... Surprised )
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 1:46 pm    

True again,Roj,but I would not look forward to hearing a(hypothetical)"Robeson Does McCartney" tribute.Wink
Sean Borton

Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 3:50 pm    

Roger Rettig wrote:
My point, Dave, is that the chosen key is dependant on a singer's range.

But instruments have ranges too... and are a big part of some songs. Just because you can play the notes of Day Tripper in D - it's just not "Day Tripper" anymore. The singer has to be a professional too, and recognize when their key change is not good for a chosen song! As Lane suggested earlier, that's when you have to take the time to make it your own, not just copy the song.

Not all songs will be affected by a key change, but some will - and that is what the OP was asking about.

Last edited by Sean Borton on 25 Nov 2013 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 4:11 pm    

This is getting too pedantic. I suppose you're right if it's to be a faithful copy of the original but I'd prefer to think that at least a breath of actual originality is permissable.

I like Richard Sinkler's point - no-one in the audience could care less what key you're playing in.
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2013 4:25 pm    

Well,we ARE kind of adducing evidence to prove which number of angels can dance upon a needle's point,and I'm a little chagrined to have participated in hijacking the OP's point just a leeetle bit.He did ask if it was common for a tune to be bowdlerized to suit the six-string player.My experience is that there are a lot of capable six-stringers out there(including present company when we're not busy playing steel)and IMO it's unlikely a tune gets dumbed down on the six-stringer's account.

Too loud on the six-stringer's account is an entirely different discussion.