| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How old were you when you started playing, and in what year?
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2013 6:50 pm    

6 in 19 something and the only reason I did not start a year earlier the guitar teacher made me wait a year till after I was finished with the 1st grade - and I told Mon and Dad that I did not know why since THEY only use 7 letters and I knew UM all (yep all 26) Very Happy

I had to play steel because my hands were too small the they let me play both steel and guitar at 12 - which was when I started teaching steel.

My first student was 78 I remember it well - retired Railroad man and he played 10 or 12 hours a day - by the way I only taught him about 3 months when he started playing in a band in one of those dance halls I could not go into. Very Happy

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Marcus Provis

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2013 9:01 pm     How old were you when you started playing, and in what year?

I was 27 in 2009 when I started playing steel. Had played various instruments previously, but never got "serious" about any instrument until the steel came along... Marcus Wink

St. Petersburg, Florida , USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2013 4:51 am    

1976 at age 29, on a Marketrite kit? Had been playing guitar since 1959. Time is moving too fast.

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2013 5:24 am    

In 1963, I was 10 years old, my dad built me a 6 string, used a wrist pin for a bar.

Instruction material was the LEEDS Hawaiian music book (yellow cover) and the Mel Bay book.

A C# E A C# E..............

Last edited by Ray Minich on 11 Feb 2013 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Thiel Hatt

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2013 6:37 am    

At age 11 in 1949. On a six string Ohau electric guitar with a small Oahu amplifier with an 8 inch speaker and no control knobs, just the ones on the guitar. My teacher taught me from sheet music. Pedals came along about 1961.
Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2013 7:13 am    

1981 age 31 years old shobud maverick 3+1
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Greenwell Springs, Louisiana (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2013 7:14 am    

18 March 1976 at age 21 is when it all started for me on a little MSA Red Baron.

Of course, this doesn't count, but there's a story my dad (who didn't play anything) used to like to tell from time to time. He had an old guitar laying around the house (he didn't think a house was complete without a guitar in it) and as far back as 2 years old, I'd find something to slide on its strings (usually one of those plastic Vicks inhalers). According to him, I didn't do any of that sliding around on his old guitar past the age of around 5 or 6, but dad always got a kick out of watching me slide that Vicks inhaler over the strings while pounding and plucking them with the other. He predicted that I'd someday probably end up playing "an electric steel guitar" as he called it back then. Smile
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Jeff Watson

Anza, CA. USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2013 8:20 am    

25 in 1978 as the 2nd wave of steelers was peaking.
Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2013 9:06 am    

I think it was 1972 or 73 on a borrowed Fender three legged 6 or 8 string...couldn't figure out why the kept coming off when I'd pick a string, might have had something to do with having them on backwards...anyhow I ended up getting a Fender 400 from my Dad shortly after that and a Sho~Bud Maverick after that...that was a long time ago when I was 16 or 17 years old...Good Times!!!
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2013 9:12 am     1st time pickin'

Started around, 1953, I think, I was 7yrs old, my mom bought me a Supro Lap Steel and matching amp. Took a few lessons, started playing guitar in '59, took up pedal steel in '74, and after all these years, I get to play both in a country rock band.
Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2013 9:38 am    

I got my stage one in April of 2009 so it's been almost 4 years now that I have been playing pedal steel ! I was 45 years old Rolling Eyes Like others, I have played 6 string for many years (since i was 6)and also a little bass, but since I got my hands on the pedal steel guitar I haven't played much else...

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2013 9:55 am    

I know that this sounds too much like a story, but in 1944 my dad actually bought me a guitar for $5.00, and asked a friend of his to tune it for me.

I regularly listened to the only related program available on our old battery radio, the Ernest Tubb Show, and became a fan of country music.

I eventually added a steel nut to my old guitar and began my long journey into the steel guitar world.

In retrospect, I wish that I had focused my attention on math and science. Oh Well

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2013 10:00 am    

Gorf. 43, in 2001. But I claim extra transfer credits because by that time I had tried every single possible nutty thing you could do to slide guitar to make it... act better... and it just wouldn't. Had to buy the table thingabob. Very Happy To concentrate on steel I quit playing slide guitar until I heard Sonny Landreth, then I had to re-start that back up again as my 2nd backup instrument, as I've always played bass (1973?) as well as guitar. It all seems the same to me though (incl. electric mandolin), if I learn the song I can play it on anything. Bass players who claim to "know" something but can't call the chords, yeesh.
Earl Foote

Houston, Tx, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2013 10:30 am     Year/age started playing

1973/16
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2013 10:56 am    

John Peay wrote:

... Mike, I've had one lesson from you already...your book "Music Theory in the Real World" as well as your "E9th Supplement". Good stuff, if you don't have these, guys and gals, I highly recommend them!

Thanks John. I like the way you think.
Larry Becker

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2013 1:01 pm    

Age 13, the year was 1959
Show Pro D10, 9&5, Boss RV3, Fender Steel King, Fender Twin,Fender Hot Rod De Ville ,Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Gibson '61 SG. Fender Studio DeLuxe lap steel,,'59 Fender Princeton amp..1973 MSA S12
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2013 1:56 pm    

1974, with a Sho-Bud Maverick. I was 25
Jim Curtain

Phoenix,Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2013 2:34 pm    

48 yrs old, 2012, Carter Starter, now a Dekley, caressed with a BJS bar.
Peggy Green

San Jose, California USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2013 3:18 pm    

I bought my first pedal steel in August 1970. I was 19. Prior to that I had raised the nuts on a couple of guitars while I was 18-19.

I had grown an acre of cucumbers. The proceeds from that paid for a real (Maverick didn't exist then) single neck Sho~Bud with 3 pedals and 1 knee lever. The reason I didn't get an Emmons was it seemed to push my feet off the pedals when I went to release them. Funny how you make choices like Sho~Bud or Emmons when you don't know much at all.

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2013 4:01 pm    

I was 16 -- 1969... I had been playing guitar since I was 9..
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2013 4:54 pm    

I built my first lap steel in 1963 at the age of 17. Body was from an old door, with parts from Meccano and a pickup from an old Air Force microphone. It actually worked and didn't sound too bad. Winking

Notice the headphones. I didn't have an amplifier so I listened to it using the inputs on the record player, and feeding the signal direct into the tape recorder, which meant that while the other fellows were playing I was the only one who could hear my part. Unfortunately they had to hear the whole thing at playback, where there were often mixed feelings. Laughing
Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2013 5:29 pm    

15 years old, 1954 E-Harp tuning Lap steel.
Mike Ester

New Braunfels, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2013 6:48 pm    

Hmmm, let's see. I started playing steel in 1980. Was 21.

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2013 10:34 pm    

1948 AT AGE 9.YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2013 4:29 am    

I was 20 years of age in 1979. Started on a Sho-Bud Maverick. I now play an EMCI.