| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Refinishing mica?
Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2013 4:06 pm    

Per,
If you're happy with the tone, don't do anything that can't be undone in 20 seconds, or less, because once the tone is altered, there is no going back..

BF
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2013 4:20 pm    

Bondo! That's the ticket! Smear on some Bondo, sand it smooth, and paint it or tape it, or whatever! 8^)
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2013 5:03 pm    

My advice is to either do it right or don't do it at all. That means you should take the guitar completely apart and have it properly relaminated. Once you gotten that far, it makes sense to fully rebuild it (clean, buff, lube and turn the changer axle etc). It's not for the faint of heart, but it's also not brain surgery.

An old stock Emmons will hold is value, while a meticulously rebuilt one can increase its worth. Most people do not want a guitar that's been irreversibly altered "on the cheap".
David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2013 5:24 pm    

Tony wrote:
Quote:
My advice is to either do it right or don't do it at all. That means you should take the guitar completely apart and have it properly relaminated. Once you gotten that far, it makes sense to fully rebuild it (clean, buff, lube and turn the changer axle etc). It's not for the faint of heart, but it's also not brain surgery.

An old stock Emmons will hold is value, while a meticulously rebuilt one can increase its worth. Most people do not want a guitar that's been irreversibly altered "on the cheap".

Very wise advice. It's exactly what I did!
Dave
Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2013 11:08 pm    

Just to make things clear once more: The guitar IS ALREADY BEAUTIFULLY REBUILT and as new or even better mechanically, and I SIMPLY WILL NOT risk ruining that by taking it apart.

My question was if anyone knew if it was possible to sand down the mica's texture in preparation for a glossy black wrap, that's all.

Please close the subject.