| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Is It Wise To Sidestep Traditionalism On Occasion?
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2012 8:05 am    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
Bill,

Cease and desist; then an iron tree blooms with flowers. Is there anyone? Is there? A clever player loses his profits; even though he is free in seven ways up and down and eight ways across, he cannot avoid having another pierce his nostrils. But tell me, where is his error? A picture of a cake cannot satisfy hunger.

Exactly!

And it begs this question: Is the discomfiture found most frequently by the inhabitants of the Iberian Peninsula predominantly the result of the atmospheric conditions that produce inclement weather?

It gives one pause...

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2012 8:16 am    

Bill M.,

The prerequisites most notably established in this this business of trying to earn an honest evening's pay in return for a couple hours of enjoyable steel playing, includes well being, good transportation, camaraderie within band memberships, etc. As one ages, no amount of technical background in musical studies will divert endeavors from slowly grinding to a halt. Perhaps retirement is a better choice, than trying to keep pace with energetic youthful players who can recover from satisfying the whimsical ironies found in mixed gatherings.
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 21 Nov 2012 11:41 am    

“Instant Bill Hankey”
Copy random paragraphs from scientific journals, cut “particle properties in string theory” paste “the PSG” .
Example: Far from being a collection of chaotic experimental facts, the PSG is the manifestation of one and the same physical feature: the resonant patterns of vibration—the music, so to speak—of fundamental loops of string. The same idea applies to the forces of nature as well. Force particles are also associated with particular patterns of string vibration and hence everything, all matter and all forces, is unified under the same rubric of microscopic string oscillations—the "notes" that strings can play.
Not saying this is what you do Bill only a way to emulate. I love your topics and wouldn't change a thing.

Last edited by Stuart Legg on 21 Nov 2012 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2012 11:56 am    

deleted

Last edited by Bill McCloskey on 22 Nov 2012 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 21 Nov 2012 12:03 pm    

Mr McCloskey I suspicion you like a lot of us here find Bill's topics entertaining.
Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2012 12:46 pm    

deleted

Last edited by Bill McCloskey on 22 Nov 2012 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2012 3:01 pm    

A friend introduced the STEEL GUITAR FORUM to me over 10 years ago. I can't believe how quickly those years have flown by, never to return. After submitting over 7000 posts, it appears as though it would take a miracle to break the ice in this diversified thought provoking membership of over 10,000 members. As the aging woman calls out to those who would listen, "Where's the beef?" It's as though members cling to beliefs that have been acquired through personal experiences. Ideas deemed to be reasonably sound, are brushed aside like a salesman trying to sell frozen food to Eskimos. The walk has been lonely at times, so someone could be watching over me during difficult times.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2012 3:05 pm    

Mr. Bill,With your vast knowledge of the pedal steel guitar,It seems to consume you,you SHOULD be in the Hall of Fame by now.You are allways preaching ,practice,practice,practice.Maybe if you took your own advice,you would'nt have time to make such absurd nonsensible post that makes no sense AT ALL. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Atlanta, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2012 5:03 pm    

Always.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2012 9:01 pm    

Owning a fleet of Good Humor trucks in Bettles Alaska makes a hell-of-a-lot more sense than ANY Hankey posts.They are meaningless,unintelligible,nonsensical,unnecessarily pretentious and esoteric.I have seen a couple of his posts in the past that were actually mentally acute and intelligent. This PROVES he spouts this gibberish on purpose.[WHY ?]I don't have a clue.Maybe he's egotistical,brash or bumptious,OR maybe he's just lonely and enjoys the attention from the BS he scatters around. Oh Well YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Post  Posted 21 Nov 2012 11:06 pm    

Bill I don't need a sample of your playing or a note from your mom. Your word is good enough for me.

I try and have found some very interesting things in your topics and try to compliment those.

You will note that I have avoided telling you that you are wrong, who am I to say.

If I just come right out and tell you I think you're wrong it will immediately cause you to get defensive and you understandably will not want to listen to anything I have to say.

Usually it is at this point with others where the written yelling match will begin.

If I am unable to demonstrate my point at the moment with you I won't argue just try again at another time.

I think this to be a more sensible approach as opposed to instant negative response and hurtful retaliation.
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 21 Nov 2012 11:33 pm    

A shameless display of the arrogant defending the arrogant Laughing
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2012 4:58 am    

My main line of work materialized over time into a process of dismantling all sorts of vehicles. You name it- trucks, tractors, cars, boilers, machinery, heating systems, safes, and hundreds of other scrap metals too numerous to name. I don't consider myself a top of the line musician, as much as I've tried to be. The same applies to conversing with forum members. I have countless life experiences to relate, but this forum is dedicated to those who wish to play the steel guitar, and to share ideas about the instrument. Personally, I was taught to disregard puny assaults by thoughtless associates. Life is full of legitimate beefs, and then there are those who enjoy dishing out abuse to anyone willing to stand there and take it.
Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2012 5:55 am    

deleted

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2012 7:07 am    

Bill M.,

If you stopped addressing some of the less important problems that exist, and look at the overall picture, you would quickly tire of assuming the position of judge and jury. Your methodical microscopic approaches seeking out trivial details will catch up with you sooner or later. Whenever an overbearing self-created genius comes face to face with constituted authority, a generalized wilting process ensues.
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2012 7:10 am    

Is It Wise To Sidestep Traditionalism On Occasion?
I'll bet a turkey would be all for it.
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2012 7:17 am    

See Bill knows what he’s doing.
That was his point all along. This was just a Thanksgiving message in disguise. Genius!
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2012 7:25 am    

Are you saying Bill knew this would happen? Wow! Stuart you’ve been out f(x)ed!
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2012 7:28 am    

Back to the drawing board!
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2012 7:37 am    

No! There is far to much of that going on regarding our traditions especially on this and the next holiday which is in my mind the greatest of all traditions.
Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2012 7:43 am    

deleted

Jeff Scott Brown

O'Fallon Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2012 8:44 am    

Bo Legg wrote:
No! There is far to much of that going on regarding our traditions especially on this and the next holiday which is in my mind the greatest of all traditions.

No? That is a surprising answer. He is specifically asking about sidestepping traditionalism On Occasion. If you are asserting that there are no occasions where sidestepping traditionalism is wise, then I am going to have to stand corrected on my earlier assertion that it is hard to imagine anyone answering the question that way.

JSB
Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2012 8:55 am    

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2012 10:00 am    

As usual on a Hankey post,the guano just gets deeper and deeper.YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2012 3:01 pm    

Breaking with tradition in steel guitar related matters, one could refer to "Little" Roy Wiggins' comment.. in his own words he suggested breaking away from the "pack", and develop a style of playing that is different from the rest. Many others feel that way, although he successfully did so.