| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Is It Wise To Sidestep Traditionalism On Occasion?
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 2 Dec 2012 9:06 am    

Uh! Oh! I feel a post blaming Chet Atkins coming on.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2012 10:22 am    

Bo Legg,

Chet told me about the steel player from Pennsylvania, who played the instrument with his feet. Having no arms, he could do what people do who have hands; such as lighting cigarettes or dialing the telephone. He also called the banjo a "drone" instrument, that could be played by those with no hands. He has played instrumental recordings with steel guitarists in rare occasions. The steel has been ignored by the public in general, more than all other instruments combined. A classic case of a misdirected public, to put it mildly.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2012 10:41 am    

Dr. Bill and associates. Just my opinion but I think ALABAMA has contributed it's fair share and more to the steel guitar community. Right off the top of my head I can think of at least four Alabama natives that I think [some of you may disagree] were fairly good pickers. There was this guy named [CURLY CHALKER] from Enterprise Alabama,another fellow [JULIAN THARPE] from Skipperville Alabama,[DON HELMS]an old country boy from New Brockton Alabama,and another pretty good picker [JIMMY DAY] from Tuscaloosa Alabama. Smile YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2012 11:06 am    

And don't forget Lloyd Green. Although he was born in Mississippi, I think he moved to Mobile as a youngster...
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2012 3:06 pm    

You are right Jeff,LLoyd's family moved to Ala when he was four. Smile YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2012 5:36 am    

I don't know for sure if Lloyd Green was moved to Alabama when he was four years old, or if he was born there. There are written accounts stating that he was born there. Charles, it might be a good idea to check your information sources for accuracy. I become inquisitive when two separate reports differ by as much as four years. Life is full of obstacles. Included in some of the more hard to swallow lines, is the issue of incorrect information. One or the other is not true.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2012 6:23 am    

Bill, it is very common knowledge that Lloyd was born in Leaf, Mississippi.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2012 7:14 am    

Thanks Bent! There is a publication that states that his birthplace is Mobile, Alabama. I'd guess that factual information at times gets swept away, just as structuralism does in the Gulf Of Mexico.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 3 Dec 2012 7:43 am    

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2012 8:16 am    

Barry,

DRIFT is the loosest term in the English language. Technically, it doesn't exist in simplest terms. Anyone who chooses to discuss Lloyd Green is right in the thick of relevant issues. Unlike the majority of road musicians, Lloyd quit the road work, choosing a career in Nashville's studios. Breaking with tradition is more common than the way you are viewing the situation.
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2012 10:02 am    

Bill I guess after reading most of the post and some of the answers to your original question..Seems It is wise to pretend your in a pasture side stepping B.S Laughing ..

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2012 12:31 pm    

Dr.Bill,You have a hard time with facts,LLoyd Green moved to Alabama when he was four.Stop assumming so much. You are wrong MORE than you are right. Just like when you claimed to be an expert on Alabama foxes.I have spent a little [very little but some] time in the great state of Massachusetts,but I have no idea what kind of habitat a Massachusetts fox may prefer,BUT contrary to what you think an Alabama fox is very content in the swamp.Oh once again would like an explanation please sir about gist of this post,traditionalism ,or[ progressive instrumentation]Would that be something like the nonmelodic free flowing jazz of the 1940's? They called it progressive jazz. Is that what you are saying.I'm sorry to keep asking,forgive me,it's just so hard being so ignorant and unsophisticated to comprehend what you say sometimes,YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Post  Posted 3 Dec 2012 1:33 pm    

deeper and deeeeeeeeperrrrrrrr
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2012 2:10 pm    

BAMA,

Why must you assume the role of a nagger? Some people are born to nag. I find it hard to imagine someone associated with learning to play the pedal steel guitar becoming so picky about trivial details. I'm all for teaching or trading ideas on the steel guitar, not for bickering over a family of foxes that have camped out under your chicken roost. Settle down, and start showing some southern hospitality that I've heard so much about up here in the north.
John Scanlon

Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2012 2:48 pm    

Bill Hankey wrote:
I find it hard to imagine someone associated with learning to play the pedal steel guitar becoming so picky about trivial details.

A quick read through of a only a few threads here on almost any given day should rid you of that notion.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2012 3:01 pm    

John,

I left out the unrelated word. It would have been better to write more definitively. I should have known it wouldn't be missed. Haste makes waste.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2012 4:57 pm    

Dr. Bill,Just being inquisitive,but all in vain,Have NEVER heard you answer a direct question regarding any of your post,Just insignificant ramblings as you just made.By the way go back and look. I think the first mention of the word fox was from your peanut gallery.STILL WAITING,WHAT DOES PROGRESSIVE INSTRUMENTATION MEAN [AGAIN] Laughing YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Post  Posted 3 Dec 2012 9:42 pm    

Peanut Gallery??? Been there done that.. Laughing PROGRESSIVE INSTUMENTATION ??? Charlie,LET ME HELP WITH THAT.. Progressive Instrumentation is a result of a growing need in the Industry for instrumental and analytical minded professionals.. Hope that helPs..

Hardest thing to do is out Fox a Fox..
Joe Casey

Post  Posted 4 Dec 2012 10:24 am    

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2012 12:41 pm    

Sorry Mr. Joe, YOU NEED TO BE MORE ORIGINAL.That does NOT help at all.Just a CLONE of a Hankey post.At least you tried.Dr. Bill will never answer a direct question,just change the subject with nonsense. Laughing YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2012 3:03 pm    

Joe,

Thanks for your support. I just realized that my boots no longer can avoid the bull that's building up day by day. Bama has an endless supply, and shows no signs of coming up with an empty shovel. For that reason, I'm gonna saddle up and check out some happier trails leading to greener pastures and solid ground. No more slip sliding on Bama's cowplops.
Joe Casey

Post  Posted 4 Dec 2012 4:11 pm    

TIME TO HEAD DOWN THE TRAIL.
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2012 6:58 pm    

HAPPY TRAILS YA,LL. DON'T [SLIP SLIDE]INTO ANY GENUS CYNOMYS HOLES.AND WATCH OUT FOR THOSE NASTY UROCYON CINEREOARGENTEUS. Smile Laughing YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Post  Posted 5 Dec 2012 4:39 pm    

A 2,000-ton mountain of cow manure continues to
burn into third month.

Joe Casey

Post  Posted 7 Dec 2012 8:24 am    

Might be hard to climb MT. Poo Poo..But easy to side step..

OK I know stuff happens ..