| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What's the beef with banjo players?
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2009 2:47 pm    

Larry Bressington wrote:
..you are a handsome bugger mate, almost look Bristolian! Laughing

You mean he looks like a steam engine ????? Whoa!
Bernie Gonyea

Sherman Tx. 75092 ,U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2009 7:42 pm     Banjo Lovers Galore

Very Happy Whoa! Laughing Rolling Eyes

I do not hate any musician; regardless of their choice of Instrument; we all perform to the best of our GOD given ability. Nor do I hate everyone whom loves to poke fun at any of the pickers or the instrument which they are playing. Like many of you have stated " There's a time and place for every thing and every person, to do their thing. I'm a firm believer in carrying a pair of ' Ear Plugs ", if there is a sound or composition I do not wish to listen to, I put my " Ear Plugs " into action.. Miracles never cease..Bernie Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2009 8:27 pm    

John Billings wrote:
I am currently designing a pedal banjo. 13 strings 11 pedals and 13 knee levers. Will be at the Dallas show. Look for my room in the sub-basement.
Hey John, Bring it over to Ricks store, I'll bring my 9&1/2 string guitar, and we'll jam!!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing -Jake Jacoby-
Glen Derksen

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Mar 2009 8:37 pm    

John Billings wrote:
I am currently designing a pedal banjo. 13 strings 11 pedals and 13 knee levers. Will be at the Dallas show. Look for my room in the sub-basement.

I hope your sub-basement has a couple of sump pumps! Winking
Ulric Utsi-Åhlin

Sweden
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2009 12:36 am    

For the record...a week ago I threatened to invest in
a good,used 5-string...scanning some ads,my eyes fell
on a Gold Tone DOJO...mail,call,transfer,wham...the
day before yesterday it turned up on my doorstep...
a little fret dress and it´s ready to play...great
little instrument,fun to play...mcUtsi
Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2009 3:46 am    

Looks like a young Doug B.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm_2JNDwwPk
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2009 4:14 am    

Hey Jake! My Pedbansteel only plays really fast songs! I admit that I once strung a Tele into G tuning, and replaced the 6th string with a .009 tuned to high G. It worked great. That was in a band in Wisconsin. Everybody was high on cheese.
Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2009 9:52 am     banjokes

How about this one: Did hear about the fiddle player that was so out of tune the steel player noticed? My apologies in advance if this is redundant. Don D.
Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 8 Mar 2009 10:46 am     This should get you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi5XNC-fC0c&feature=channel_page

Even if you hate the banjo...it's a workout! Laughing
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2009 2:19 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:

have you ever tried playing steel guitar with a bxnj0 on stage? It will cancel out all of your sweet steel guitar sound , Oh Well They should stick to acoustic music, where they belong.

Uhmm, well I also play many gigs on Telecaster where we may bring in another Steel player, who, uh..never clash with the guitar player !

Doug, is it the Instrument or the,uhh...player ? Maybe someone should tell JD Crowe !

If someone is canceling out any sounds I submit that it ain't the Instrument but rather an amateur musician, note I didn't say player,but rather an amateur bandstand musician.

I love a great Bluegrass band with all the elements, I am currently listening to Jim Van Cleve , kinda Country, with elements of Mountain and even a hint of fusion. Great all around tracks, Mando, DBro, Bjo, Fiddle, Flatpick etc. Also listening to Mark Johnson with Emory Lestor, BJo , Mando and Flatpick, great stuff, really melodic.

I gig sometimes on Steel or Tele with a great Fiddle player, when he is not soloing or backing, he is not playing, which is also the school that I come from on Steel. I would love to play with a great Banjo player, as long as we are both in tune. Crying or Very sad

Our planet is chocked full of great players who don't know when to stop playing great !

t

PS; the worst players I have ever worked with who canceled out the sounds of everything on the bandstand were keyboard players who thought that because they had two hands and ten fingers they were entitled to use them 100% of the time.
Jaclyn Jones

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2009 7:38 am     Banjos

As a steel and a banjo player I think it is all about how you use either instrument. Lloyd Maines sounded great with both a banjo and a fiddle on stage with him when working with the Dixie Chicks. The end result comes from the cooperation of the whole band. However, I still can't find a way to play both at the same time!
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2009 8:32 am    

We have Steel Radio. I'll bet there's a Banjo Radio too.
"All banjo, all the time!"
Drew Howard

Post  Posted 9 Mar 2009 9:05 am    

Sit in a room with Bill Keith and you will witness one of the most powerful minds ever.

Love me some Bobby Thompson, too.
Nathan Sarver

Washington State, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2009 1:09 am    

"Why Not Your Baby" by Gene Clark And Doug Dillard is one of the prettiest songs I've ever heard and the banjo is absolutely magic in that song. I have yet to hear ANY instrument that doesn't sound great in the right context. Doug seems to be beating his head against a wall trying to prove that all air smells bad after smelling a fart. He asserts that steel players dislike banjo players because they don't sound good together, but the unpleasantness of two things in concert is hardly a reason to dislike either by themselves. I don't like chunks of steak in my ice cream, but both are great separately.
Derrick Frank

Berkshire, England
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2009 1:52 am    

Nothing wrong with banjo playing provided it's played in the right song, Ex: Rocky top, sounds great with a fast steel on board,we have a banjo come lead guitar in the band, and we allways rib him when he decides to have a plonk, but it's all in good fun.

Terorist took over a Banjo Convention, and held 50 Banjo players to ransome for $5.000.000.00 if the gov refuse to pay up, they have threaten'd to release on every hour.Slim. Laughing
Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2009 9:16 am    

I can understand where b0b and some of the others are coming from.
I don't know why but i could never stand the sound of an organ.
Not that it ever affected thier ratings but i never watch Lettermans show as that organ got on my nerves.
I like a good drummer but never watch Leno because of the drummer hitting that @#@$%% rim shotso much.I wondered if it is to let the audience know what Leno said was supposed to be funny?
And years ago i used a leslie with my steel in the N.W.because we played pop and rock and i don't mean 50's as the people out there hated country and i hated that leslie,but i did like eating.I have no idea what any one likes now as it has changed so much.
Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2009 11:18 am    

I played a electric banjo once, and it really sounded close to what Buck Trent does, without the keith tuners. Also if any of you steelers have a sweet tooth for banjo's, there is a site, like this one, called banjohangout.org. I know it is not in the same interest as this topic, but it does relate to the subject. Sorry b0b, we all have our moments. My love is classic country, and classic bluegrass. Ronnie

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2009 12:56 pm     banjers

Wha? How did all those late Feb. early March posts get thrown in there? My favorite banjo player is Tony Trishca. He almost always performs with a second banjo. Suprisingly it seems to soften up the sound. Don D.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2009 2:35 pm    

edit

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 1 Dec 2023 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2009 4:51 pm    

Y'all can say what you want about the banjo but Ray Stevens' "Misty" would not have been the same without it. Along with JD Maness on pedal steel it is so much a part of making the song what it is.
Just my 2 c.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2009 5:47 pm    

Cool
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2009 7:04 pm    

I can make a steel guitar sound worse than any sound you'll ever hear from a banjo. Laughing Embarassed Laughing
Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2009 11:39 pm    

My guess is Doug Beaumier never heard Byron Berline and Sundance back in the early 80s.

With John Hickman on banjo, Allen Wald on pedal Steel and Dan Crary on acoustic guitar (periodically Albert Lee on electric guitar as well) that band (IMO could change anyone's perception of steel/banjo not being a good combination. Hearing those guys chase each other with 2 or 4 measures apiece was fantastic.

Also hearing Pat Cloud play with jazz-influenced steel players ( I heard him with J.B. Crabtree a few times playing some bebop-type stuff) would probably change your perception.

I don't disagree that straight bluegrass banjo (Scruggs style) can be a poor match for pedal steel, but the melodic players...especially the top-line guys, like Hickman, Keith, Furtado, Cloud, Fleck, Trischka et al can mix it up with a steel player and turn the prototypical "banjo listener" on his head.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2009 7:23 am    

edit

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 1 Dec 2023 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 26 Apr 2009 7:43 am     Same Old, Same Old

To me this subject is just so juvenile, like the banjo has no use compared to the steel guitar or it is somehow inferior. Bill Keith recorded one of the best steel guitar solos of all time on a banjo. Yet no one knows because it was never identified on the track. Most people think it is some kind of modified guitar although it was actually a muted banjo. Listen to the Jugband(Kweskin's Band)version of Mississippi John Hurt's "Richland Woman". It has Keith at his most elegant using steel guitar expressions and making them fit in the song like it was his and of Course Maria Muldaur's....